Linus Reviews HTC One M8 for Windows

theyarecomingforyou

All in all this phone baffles me a bit. It's a phone for no-one. I understand that some people have a thing for supporting the market underdog and are willing to work around numerous inconveniences to do it or have specific complaints about Google and Apple that would cause them to want to avoid using the services of both those companies, and for you there's high-end Windows phones, like the One M8 for Windows. For everyone else there's stuff out there that's just plain more functional and easier to use and in the case of the One M8 also exactly the same price, so the conclusion pretty much writes itself here.

• Like 2

+E.Worm Jimmy

holy crap.  this review highlight all that is wrong with WP

i love windows.... but they just did not create an appealing OS for phone.  

was it their fault, or the fact they were too late, and too sucky, so no developer support...

does not matter.  actually, i am kidding... MS messed up big. unfortunately..  

i was thinking of buying WP for the longest time.  but it was just never appealing overall.

i WOULD LOVE TO LOVE WP.   but overall, it still does not provide what i expect of it (not just apps... OS functionality)

Draconian Guppy

There's no youtube app on windows phone?

von kain

this guy is so un-objective that  is quite humorous.

• Like 3

+E.Worm Jimmy

un-objective....

can you name points why it is?

everything i have heard from actual users points to me that WP is way behind, not only in developer support, but in basic usability.  

as a long time MS fan, i am disappointed, but i am not going to dismiss the points as humorous. i find them mostly upsetting.. as i expected much better of them!

• Like 1

Praetor

it's still a big problem the lack of high profile apps in the store and some of the ones that exist aren't official.

• Like 1

theyarecomingforyou

If you have a specific issue with the review then please share it but broad, unsubstantiated statements like yours contribute nothing to the discussion.

I like Linus, as he calls it how he sees it. This review pretty much sums up the problems with Windows Phone right now, which is that Android and iOS devices just do everything better. I didn't realise that Windows Phone doesn't support third-party keyboards, which is annoying as I love Swype - I've tried other keyboards but their swiping and predictions just aren't as good.

• Like 1

Dot Matrix

Yes, there are. But since Google is being a bully, the official app might as well not even exist.

• Like 1

theyarecomingforyou

Yes, there are. But since Google is being a bully, the official app might as well not even exist.

I haven't been keeping up with all the details. What exactly has Google done to make YouTube bad on Windows Phone or to act as a 'bully'? I see the app has terrible user reviews on the Windows Store.

siah1214

Apparently I'm no one.

I would fall into the enthusiast category, however, I love my Lumia 928.  I've used Android on tablets, iOS on tablets and iPod touches, and webOS, and of those, Windows phone will always be my favorite. It's always been the least frustrating, most enjoyable, "Just works" experience. My iPod usually "just worked" (other than some build quality issues that are neither here nor there for this discussion), however, I hate the way the homescreen works, it's just way too limiting.  My 928's homescreen is full of folders of tiles of stuff I care about, the app drawer is vastly superior to Android's (seriously, an icon grid is the WORST layout imaginable, the list is infinitely more functional and easy to use), the UI is beautiful (and yes, most mobile OSs are beautiful these days but Windows Phone's has been the most coherent for me), and it works great with MS services that I'm invested in. 

Who's it for? It's for someone that wants a "just works" experience that also wants more flexibility than iOS and doesn't care about stuff like loading ROMs onto Android phones. It's for people that want a fast, beautiful OS that runs on the lowest and highest end hardware.  Most of the apps people care about are actually there, either first party or third party alternative (which are usually fantastic and sometimes even better than the official apps on other platforms), the average person probably doesn't care about pebble or niche apps like that. 

I love the tiles, and if you hate them, you can turn them into icons with a few taps, and you can have the nice hideous grid you've always dreamed for. 

Btw as far as google integration goes, if you're completely married to Gmail, Gdocs, gcalendar, etc. then maybe it's not the phone for you. I used to be but switched over after I got my first Windows Phone (an HTC trophy back when Nodo was cool)

And I don't miss anything from it.

Anyway, this is all opinion, which is all that Linus has to offer as well. Everyone's needs are different, one size does not fit all, and neither Android nor iOS fit me. WP8.1 is the best alternative. 

I haven't been keeping up with all the details. What exactly has Google done to make YouTube bad on Windows Phone or to act as a 'bully'? I see the app has terrible user reviews on the Windows Store.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/24/microsoft_pulls_youtube_winphone_app/

TL:DR Microsoft made a gorgeous youtube app for WP8.  Google issued a takedown notice, Microsoft made changes that they asked for and republished, Google proceeds to make up ###### and issue another takedown notice, Microsoft caves and reverts to the terrible previous app.  Google are ######.

• Like 5

sanctified

Serious question, due my ignorance. Why MS relies on companies to make apps like youtube? As far as I know HTML5 is mature and responsive enough to act like an app inside a wrapper. Surely any modern mobile OS can take advantage of that, right? I think that's what Firefox OS is trying to do. In that way, the web is your appstore.

adrynalyne

If you have a specific issue with the review then please share it but broad, unsubstantiated statements like yours contribute nothing to the discussion.

I like Linus, as he calls it how he sees it. This review pretty much sums up the problems with Windows Phone right now, which is that Android and iOS devices just do everything better. I didn't realise that Windows Phone doesn't support third-party keyboards, which is annoying as I love Swype - I've tried other keyboards but their swiping and predictions just aren't as good.

Therein lies the problem.  He calls it as HE sees it, not everyone else.

I rather see an unbiased review, not some twit telling everyone who a phone is for(or in this case not for).

Serious question, due my ignorance. Why MS relies on companies to make apps like youtube? As far as I know HTML5 is mature and responsive enough to act like an app inside a wrapper. Surely any modern mobile OS can take advantage of that, right? I think that's what Firefox OS is trying to do. In that way, the web is your appstore.

Google is being an ass and has killed off Microsoft's attempts with takedown requests.  I think there were at least two attempts by MS, if memory serves.

• Like 1

sanctified

Google is being an ass and has killed off Microsoft's attempts with takedown requests.

How so? HTML5 is public. An html5 version of youtube in an app is no different from opening youtube.com inside Mobile Internet Explorer? That sounds quite unreasonable from Google's part.

adrynalyne

How so? HTML5 is public. An html5 version of youtube in an app is no different from opening youtube.com inside Mobile Internet Explorer? That sounds quite unreasonable from Google's part.

HTML5 is, the API is not, at least not in the way HTML5 is.

Google has also shut down webview versions too, I think.

Which, webview versions blow anyway.

sanctified

HTML5 is, the API is not, at least not in the way HTML5 is.

I see. That's crazy. Unbelievable how the three big companies sometimes seem more interested in tripping each other than to offer us better solutions.

• Like 1

eddman

"It's a phone for NO ONE"

Yes, well done. Very objective. /s

How is the lack of some apps an OS' fault? Sure, WP would be a no go for those who want a specific app that is missing, but not all people are the same.

Google apps? Ask google why they are missing.

He dislikes the keyboard yet there are reviews where they actually like it. Subjective.

IINM, text prediction learns over time and gets much faster.

He says he mistyped letters. Well, no surprise there. He's not used to it.

Auto correct, auto fill, etc. take space? How else can they be shown then?

Says the keyboard takes too much space, but it's about half the page, pretty much the same as android. Then he says there's the new swype style keyboard but he dismisses it because... he doesn't use it and doesn't care. Subjective much?

He picks on the UI. Again, very subjective. Some like how it looks, some don't.

Not being able to back out of an email, initiated from the notification center, into the inbox; this is a good criticism. A design oversight, I suppose.

Lack of T9 dialing; this is also a good point, but he acts like it's the be-all when it comes to dialing and that its absence somehow breaks the whole thing. There are other ways, like pinning contacts to the home page and there is a speed dial page too. Stock android didn't have it either, until kitkat 4.4.

He was corrected on saying it lacked folder support; just shows he doesn't even properly investigate what he's reviewing.

The most popular, and perhaps, the best third party youtube app, metrotube, is free. Yes, it says $0.99, but actually in the description it says *Unlimited & unrestricted free trial!*. He didn't care to read that either.

He says battery life is good and even lasted two days, but then says it probably lasted that much because he DIDN'T ACTUALLY USE IT THAT MUCH. Was he even using this thing during the review period?

As for draft emails not showing; Could it be a sync protocol limitation? For example, outlook.com drafts don't show because EAS protocol lacks draft syncing. The same thing happens in office 2013 too. Very stupid limitation. Don't know about gmail though.

It seems that he just does not like WP and actively looks for flaws to nitpick upon.

I'm surprised he didn't mention the settings page, which is a bit unorganized, or that it's not possible to dismiss notification individually. You can either clear all or clear a group of them.

The video should be titled "Why I still dislike WP".

• Like 6

Dot Matrix

Unbelievable how the three big companies sometimes seem more interested in tripping each other than to offer us better solutions.

Indeed.

• Like 1

siah1214

Oh yes, on the topic of dialing: Either set up speed dial, pin the contacts to your start screen, or just tell Cortana to call that person. Seriously, learn the phone you're reviewing.

• Like 5

sanctified

I understand the learning curve. But that something the reviewers should help us with, not surrender to it like the rest of us. I admit I don't like Windows Phone much, but it's an amazing OS. The phone my mother learned to use the quickest is her trusty Lumia 520.

• Like 1

adrynalyne

I see. That's crazy. Unbelievable how the three big companies sometimes seem more interested in tripping each other than to offer us better solutions.

Yeah, its a bunch of petty crap.

• Like 1

Stoffel

For once we can't blame MS for this one, they have all their main apps available on all 3 platforms.

Often the rivaling platforms get new features before the Windows platform

• Like 1

tsupersonic

I think his review is pretty spot on, and it is nice to see good hardware on WP. I'd love to see MS overcome challenges and be a true competitor to iOS & Android. 

• Like 4

Draconian Guppy

So no "official" app then?

DrainTheSw4mp

Just so you know, you can play Youtube videos flawlessly using Internet Explorer, don't see the need for an app. Also, WP8.1 brought an excellent built in swype-like keyboard.

• Like 3

notchinese

There are multiple free youtube apps that are amazing. I use myTube, which IMO is the best 2nd Youtube app available on any platform (Hyper for Youtube on Windows 8 is the best IMO)

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      Forza Motorsport 7 is being removed from storefronts in September
      by Usama Jawad

Microsoft's Turn 10 Studios released Forza Motorsport 7 back in October 2017, to high praise. We awarded it a 9/10 rating in our review, praising the dynamic weather system, multiplayer capabilities, and the wide assortment of cars and tracks on offer. However, the developer has now announced that the game is being delisted from storefront in September.

In a blog post, the company mentioned that Forza Motorsport 7 will hit its end of life status on September 15, 2021. This essentially means that the title and its DLC will be delisted from the Microsoft Store and won't be available on Game Pass either. That said, players who already own the game will still be able to re-download it and play as usual, including online services.

Game Pass players who purchased DLC but not the title itself will also be given a token for the full game through the Xbox Message Center. This token will be provided by August 2, and is redeemable up until September 15, 2023. Additionally, Forza Motorsport 7 is up for a massive discount until September 15, 2021. The Standard Edition can now be purchased for $9.99 (previously $39.99), Deluxe costs $14.99 (previously $59.99), and Ultimate can be yours for $19.99 (previously $79.99).

The reason for the game being delisted just four years after launch is quite simple, albeit unfortunate. All Forza titles utilize licenses to use real names of cars, tracks, and brands. Once these third-party licenses expire, these games have to depart from storefronts. The in-engine trailer for the next Forza Motorsport was already shown a year ago while Forza Horizon 5 is scheduled for a launch this November as well.

• By News Staff
      Pay What You Want for this Essential 2021 Excel Wizard Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted offer comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can Pay What You Want for the Essential 2021 Excel Wizard Bundle. This 14+ hours of training will take you from zero to hero in Microsoft Excel dynamic formulas, functions, api reporting and more.

Unlock the following courses with a minimum of the average price:

Excel Magic 1: Build Dynamic Formulas with Excel
      Learn Intermediate toA Advanced Excell Skills that Will Help You Become a Professional

Excel Magic 2: Build Your Own Report Generating Bots with Excel
      Learn How to Build Your Own Report Generating Robot Through VBA

Excel Magic 3: Automating Data Entry with Data Feeds
      Learn How to Automate Data Entry & How to Connect to Sources to Obtain Real-Time Updates of Data

Excel Magic 4: Ultimate API Reporting in Excel
      Understand the Idea of API Reporting & Generate Low-Maintenance Full-Automated Financial Reports

Excel Magic 5: Building Interactive Budgeting Model in Excel
      Build an Interactive Model in Excel & Explore Methods to Consolidate Actuals and Budgets

Must-Know Formulas & Functions in Excel
      Know the Most Popular Formulas & Functions in Excel & Learn How to Use Them

Getting Results with Excel Pivot Tables, Power Query & Power Pivot
      Learn How to Analyze Rows of Data in Excel, Power Query & Power Pivot

Excel Magic Part 6: Speaking the 7 Languages in Excel
      Mastering Excel's Programming Language & Be an Expert User of Them

Learn to Use the Top 50 Microsoft Excel Formulas in 50 Minutes
      Learn the Basics of Microsoft Excel & Its Often Used Formulas

Pay What You Want (as little as $1) for the unlocked courses:

Using VLOOKUP, XLOOKUP & Other Functions
      Learn About VLOOKUP, XLOOKUP & HLOOKUP and Know How to Link Sheets & Consolidate Data

Excel Pivot Table: How to Tame the Excel Beast
      18 Taming Manuevers for Pivot Tables That You Have to Be Aware of

Here's the deal:
      The full bundle represents an overall retail value of $2,189. To unlock the full bundle is under $11.50 at the time of writing. Beat the average price and you'll take home the entire bundle. Beat the Leader's price and get entered into the epic giveaway. Get this Essential 2021 Excel Wizard Bundle
      Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Ivacy VPN - 5 years at 87% off NordVPN - 2 years at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 79% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Giveaways: Polycade Home Arcade | $5K in cash | $10K in Crypto | Gaming Bundle Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Halo Infinite's first Insider test is now live, here's what's in it 
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Halo Infinite is finally coming out this holiday, but before then, select Halo Insiders can now join a technical preview by 343 Industries to test the brand-new features on the game's multiplayer side. Although server issues held the launch back a little, the first ever flight for Halo Infinite is now active across PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S, with it running from today until 10AM PT on August 2.

Insiders will be battling against bots in 4 vs 4 Slayer matches across the Live Fire, Bazaar, and Recharge maps during the test. As the test progresses through the weekend, the difficulty of the bots will ramp up and the map rotation will change.

In an interesting twist, 343 says it will be enabling Social Arena Slayer for player versus player matches at the tail end of the flight if some engagement criteria are met. In the meantime, players are encouraged to go after those bots with a vengeance.

Also being tested in this flight are weapon drills from the Academy training section for 12 guns, the battle pass (with free credits) and menu UIs, as well as the revamped Halo Waypoint experience (vNext) across the web and mobile platforms.

The known issues of this flight can be seen here, which include a particularly nasty one that enters players into rounds with only three players, with the final player being added a minute into the match. Updating graphics drivers is recommended too. 343 pointed at the Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.7.2 driver that released this week specifically to get a large performance boost on AMD graphics cards.

343 has also made available helpful pages with flight installation instructions, a rundown of content, and active play sessions in the Insiders portal in Halo Waypoint. Keep in mind the website will only work for those who have received an invite for this preview session.

There still may be some hiccups in the Waypoint invites department or the Xbox Insider Hub app, and 343 is working on fixes. PC players still waiting on their code or unable to access Waypoint to activate the flight can head here and scroll down to see if they have received a "July Tech Preview" Steam key for redeeming.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft releases optional Windows 10 updates with a ton of fixes
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft has released cumulative updates for the three most recent versions of Windows 10, along with version 1909 currently supported for specific SKUs, as part of its “C” week release. These optional “quality” updates are usually released one or two weeks after Patch Tuesday. These fixes will also be rolled into the next month’s Patch Tuesday updates for those who choose to avoid installing these patches.

The update rolling out to Windows 10 versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1 is KB5004296, bumping up the build numbers to 19041.1151, 19042.1151, and 19043.1151, respectively. Since the three versions are based on the same codebase – with versions 20H2 and 21H1 being just enablement packages –, they are serviced with identical patches.

The same update will soon roll out to Insiders running Windows 10 version 21H2 in the Release Preview channel, bumping the version to 19044.1151. These are Insiders that were moved from the Beta channel to Release Preview due to the incompatibility of their systems for Windows 11. Users with compatible devices, however, received the first Windows 11 build today.

As for what’s new with the updates, there is the usual crop of bug fixes, addressing issues with gaming reliability and more. While the changelog does note a fix for a printing issue when using a USB connection, the firm is yet to address the problem relating to printing and scanning when using smart card authentication.

Here are the highlights of the updates heading out to versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1:

And here is the complete list of fixes, which is a fairly long one:

And here are the known issues listed in the changelog that users must be aware of:

Symptoms

Workaround

When using the Microsoft Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) to enter Kanji characters in an app that automatically allows the input of Furigana characters, you might not get the correct Furigana characters. You might need to enter the Furigana characters manually.

Note The affected apps are using the ImmGetCompositionString() function.

We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Devices with Windows installations created from custom offline media or custom ISO image might have Microsoft Edge Legacy removed by this update, but not automatically replaced by the new Microsoft Edge. This issue is only encountered when custom offline media or ISO images are created by slipstreaming this update into the image without having first installed the standalone servicing stack update (SSU) released March 29, 2021 or later.

Note Devices that connect directly to Windows Update to receive updates are not affected. This includes devices using Windows Update for Business. Any device connecting to Windows Update should always receive the latest versions of the SSU and latest cumulative update (LCU) without any extra steps.

To avoid this issue, be sure to first slipstream the SSU released March 29, 2021 or later into the custom offline media or ISO image before slipstreaming the LCU. To do this with the combined SSU and LCU packages now used for Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows 10, version 2004, you will need to extract the SSU from the combined package. Use the following steps to extract the using SSU:

Extract the cab from the msu via this command line (using the package for KB5000842 as an example): expand Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.msu /f:Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.cab Extract the SSU from the previously extracted cab via this command line: expand Windows10.0-KB5000842-x64.cab /f:* You will then have the SSU cab, in this example named SSU-19041.903-x64.cab. Slipstream this file into your offline image first, then the LCU. If you have already encountered this issue by installing the OS using affected custom media, you can mitigate it by directly installing the new Microsoft Edge. If you need to broadly deploy the new Microsoft Edge for business, see Download and deploy Microsoft Edge for business

After installing the June 21, 2021 (KB5003690) update, some devices cannot install new updates, such as the July 6, 2021 (KB5004945) or later updates. You will receive the error message, "PSFX_E_MATCHING_BINARY_MISSING".

For more information and a workaround, see KB5005322.

Those running Windows 10 version 1909 Enterprise, Education, or IoT Enterprise will be offered KB5004293, bumping up the version to build 18363.1714. You can head to the knowledge base article to look at the complete list of fixes and known issues.

Those looking to download the update manually can do so from the Update Catalog here for versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1, and here for version 1909. However, the updated packages have not been made available at the time of writing. As mentioned earlier, these updates will show up as optional updates and are opt-in only. The fixes in these patches will be rolled into the Patch Tuesday packages next month.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft releases the first Windows 11 build for the Beta channel
      by Abhay Venkatesh

It’s a new week, which means it’s time for a new Windows Insider build. However, this time, it's Beta channel users who are receiving a new update in the way of Windows 11 build 22000.100. This is the first Windows 11 build being released for the Beta channel, giving users of that channel the first official way to run the latest generation of Windows.

The build heading out today is the one that was released to the Dev channel last week, which means that along with the complete new OS, users will be receiving all the fixes that have been made through the course of the Dev channel releases. These include tweaks such as the improved UI elements in the taskbar and other areas to better align them with the Windows 11 design language, a search box in the Start Menu, and more. This is to be expected since Beta channel releases are considered more stable.

It must be noted that the new Teams chat experience will not be enabled for Beta channel users yet. However, that should be enabled for those users soon. You can take a look at all the new Windows 11 features in our run-down here.

In addition to all the bug fixes and improvements, the build contains a bunch of known issues, some of which have been added since build 22000.100 was released. We have listed only the new known issues that the firm is adding to the latest build based on feedback from those running these builds – which happen to be close to 1% of the total number of Windows machines:

With the OS now being promoted to the Beta channel, it is a hint that the company is hitting a certain threshold of stability since Beta channel builds usually are more reliable. The company also notes that Dev channel users who wish to stay on more stable builds should move to the Beta channel now. However, this does not mean that the builds are ready for daily use on main machines since anything can go wrong with test versions.

Additionally, Dev channel builds aren't exactly tied to specific versions, so those who jumped onto the Dev channel just to try out Windows 11 have this so-called magic window to jump to a more stable channel to continue testing builds a step away from the bleeding edge. As for Dev channel users, the firm confirmed via a tweet that there will not be a new build this week.