Xbox One Update: October 2014

Is there a known issue where the list of snap apps on the right doesn't scroll ?

I have no idea what apps I can snap since I can move the marker down, but I can't see anything but the handful of apps at the top since the doesn't scroll down with the highlight :) 

I've tried clickign various ones, but as far as I can see the media player preview isn't snappable yet ? 

Checked out the Media Player. It played 3 different mkv files that I tried from my Synology NAS device. Interesting enough it did not recognize Universal Media Server at all which was running on my Windows 7 PC, which is what I am used to since it is my app of choice on the PS3. It just kept seeing a root folder on it and everytime I chose it, it just showed another root folder. I stopped clicking on root after going 6 root folders in.

So yeah not sure why UMS is not working, but my two Synology NAS's worked very good. Nice to have an alternative on the next gen consoles finally, and if it continues to work, I may just have to change up my habits. I am a creature of habit though, and UMS on the PS3 does support DTS perfectly for me, so for now may stick with it, but again, nice to have the choice.

This update, and last month's update erased any buyer's remorse I had when I bought the system in December. 

SubJunk is working on a fix for the root folder issue. Should be an update soon

Fantastic news. Thanks for letting me know. (Y)

Checked out the Media Player. It played 3 different mkv files that I tried from my Synology NAS device. Interesting enough it did not recognize Universal Media Server at all which was running on my Windows 7 PC, which is what I am used to since it is my app of choice on the PS3. It just kept seeing a root folder on it and everytime I chose it, it just showed another root folder. I stopped clicking on root after going 6 root folders in.

So yeah not sure why UMS is not working, but my two Synology NAS's worked very good. Nice to have an alternative on the next gen consoles finally, and if it continues to work, I may just have to change up my habits. I am a creature of habit though, and UMS on the PS3 does support DTS perfectly for me, so for now may stick with it, but again, nice to have the choice.

too funny.. I did the same thing.. synology nas videos worked perfect.. tried UMS and kept getting the root folder issue even after I tried adding a new folder to start from.  hopefully its fixed quickly as im tired of using skifta 

xbox audio engineer told me dts is actually supported and should work. I let him know that its broken.

Well the Xbox supports DTS on DVD's and BluRay of course, but apparently this hasn't come to the preview media player app yet

I have been watching MKV media for a week now on the X1 and just want to say it plays awesome without any juddering issues, i just remux the dts sound to aac.

Good to know, once they add support for DTS sound in MKVs as well then the player, at least codec wise, should be complete.   I'd still say it needs work in other areas from what I've seen though I haven't used it personally since I don't own a XB1 yet.   It's pretty barebones and basic as a player isn't it?

Good to know, once they add support for DTS sound in MKVs as well then the player, at least codec wise, should be complete.   I'd still say it needs work in other areas from what I've seen though I haven't used it personally since I don't own a XB1 yet.   It's pretty barebones and basic as a player isn't it?

The player is nothing fancy just like it was on the 360, just a load of files and folders which is basically all we need, but it would be nice if it had covers for the folders.

You can easily fast forward and rewind a movie without issue at x128 speed which is nice.

• 3 weeks later...

we can now snap Media Player. custom audio + horizon 2 = AMAZING 

I just wish they could play music in the background without being snapped, both media players and xbox music. 

granted with a 130-140 inch projected image I still have a pretty big game window but... 

• Like 2

I just wish they could play music in the background without being snapped, both media players and xbox music. 

granted with a 130-140 inch projected image I still have a pretty big game window but... 

agreed, background music is whats really needed ultimately, but i'll take snapped over nothing for now. btw congrats on the championship :laugh:

• Like 2

too funny.. I did the same thing.. synology nas videos worked perfect.. tried UMS and kept getting the root folder issue even after I tried adding a new folder to start from.  hopefully its fixed quickly as im tired of using skifta 

I guess all your videos on your synology nas have to be in VIDEO folder to play?  Mine are in VIDEOS folder, guess the only fix is to rename?

agreed, background music is whats really needed ultimately, but i'll take snapped over nothing for now. btw congrats on the championship :laugh:

I was already using the Xbox Music app to listen to my own music, so I can't wait for background playback.

I was looking forward to Plex until I realised it required a monthly fee!

Check out MediaBrowser.  It works with DLNA and in Internet Explorer.  I tried Plex and this has been the best solution for me.  Hopefully once apps like Plex start coming out MediaBrowser will also come out with an app.  I know they would like to.

I was looking forward to Plex until I realised it required a monthly fee!

I hate this phrase but yes and no :P

For example. the media server portion is free. This bit usually sits on a laptop/PC/server. Now using a laptop you can stream all you media for free. If you wanted to use another device (your iPhone, a tablet or the Xbox) you need a paid app which usually has a one time fee. 

The subscription that you're seeing is for more premium features, such as cloud sync, HD movie trailers and, for the moment the Xbox app. The subscription also gives you free access to apps on other devices. Some features and apps will eventually cascade down to free users, either as part of an update or a one off fee. 

So basically,  if you're desperate for the Xbox One app and want it now, pay the subscription fee. If you're happy to wait for a few months wait and it'll become a paid app with NO subcription.

Apologies if you knew that stuff already :P

I hate this phrase but yes and no :p

For example. the media server portion is free. This bit usually sits on a laptop/PC/server. Now using a laptop you can stream all you media for free. If you wanted to use another device (your iPhone, a tablet or the Xbox) you need a paid app which usually has a one time fee. 

The subscription that you're seeing is for more premium features, such as cloud sync, HD movie trailers and, for the moment the Xbox app. The subscription also gives you free access to apps on other devices. Some features and apps will eventually cascade down to free users, either as part of an update or a one off fee. 

So basically,  if you're desperate for the Xbox One app and want it now, pay the subscription fee. If you're happy to wait for a few months wait and it'll become a paid app with NO subcription.

Apologies if you knew that stuff already :p

Check out MediaBrowser.  It works with DLNA and in Internet Explorer.  I tried Plex and this has been the best solution for me.  Hopefully once apps like Plex start coming out MediaBrowser will also come out with an app.  I know they would like to.

I was basically looking for a free Xbox One app and i thought PLEX was it, i don't mind paying a 1 off ?5 fee but not a monthly sub. I will just carry on using the native app until something turns up.

Does anyone in the Xbox one Previewers team, when the October 2014 update is going to go live for all?

Thanks