Microsoft added Search box on New Tab Page in IE 11 with Patch Tuesday Update

+Zlip792

With today's Patch Tuesday, Cumulative Update released for Internet Explorer 11 added Search Box on New Tab Page, its not confirmed whether similar can be experienced on IE9 and IE10 since both have identical UI to IE11. Its IE11 only. Now IE11 follows Firefox and Chrome for search box on NTP.

It only works if your default search engine would be BING. I tried to change Search Engine to Google by adding search provider from iegallery and this search box vanished from NTP.

Here is the picture:

JLB02EU.png

Increasingly, users search the web through the Internet Explorer address bar. To keep up with this growing need, this update increases prominence of web suggestions in Internet Explorer 11 so that you can easily select an appropriate web search suggestion. The changes include the following:

• History and Favorites group headers are not displayed in the suggestions list of the address bar. This lets more suggestions display in the same vertical space.
  • For certain queries, there may only be several web suggestions. However, for other more ambiguous queries, more web suggestions may have to be displayed to capture your intent. With this update, the search engine can control how many web suggestions are appropriate for the typed query so that you receive the appropriate number of relevant suggestions.
  • Domain suggestions for sites that you never visited before are not displayed (for example, if you type "m" and you had never visited "mapquest.com", it will not be displayed). These domain suggestions did not receive many clicks from you and yet you use valuable real estate. Instead, more relevant suggestions are displayed.

KB Article for Cumulative Update: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=507016

Article for this specific change: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3004247

IE Blog about October Update: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/10/14/october-2014-updates-and-a-preview-of-changes-to-out-of-date-activex-control-blocking.aspx

Thomas the Tank Engine

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with IE11 installed, I did not get this as an update to IE11, so I am going to assume that it's for Windows 8 and above.

+Zlip792

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with IE11 installed, I did not get this as an update to IE11, so I am going to assume that it's for Windows 8 and above.

Thanks for confirming.. I didn't had any VM or PC with Windows 7 to verify this.

Stoffel

It doesn't show up either on Win 10 TP

BajiRav

shows up for Windows 8.1U + latest update and bing default. The UX is weird though, when I start typing it switches to the address bar automatically.

Ian S.

Oh bing default, I have google as default for IE 11 on my Surface.

+Zlip792

I still have the old one.

- OS?

- Which default Search Engine?

floopydoodle

It seems to be broken on certain setups. Mine looks like this no matter what size I make the window. I have a 1080p screen. Page zoom is 100%.

wmTe9PM.jpg

+Zlip792

It seems to be broken on certain setups. Mine looks like this no matter what size I make the window. I have a 1080p screen. Page zoom is 100%.

~snipped~

Scroll bar is known issue from before. If Windows size is smaller enough that scroll bar appear, even after that if you maximize windows scroll bar does not go away.

+Zlip792

Yeah, now old school scroll bar is new shiny 8+ one but its still UI glitch which they need to fix.

For others: This feature is now available for Windows 7 users as well, confirm through friend's laptop.

123456789A

wmTe9PM.jpg

How did you get those little live tiles on your taskbar like that?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      New customization options are available for Reply-all Storm Protection in Microsoft 365
      by Usama Jawad

"Reply all" email storms are somewhat amusing to watch from a distance due to the fact that they break the daily workflow mundaneness as people commonly inject jokes and other forms of humor into online exchanges. But they can also be a nuisance, especially in large organizations. There have been multiple reported instances where distribution lists containing hundreds of thousands of people have been part of an email chain where millions of emails have been exchanged for several hours.

To combat this problem, Microsoft released Reply-all Storm Protection back in 2020 for Microsoft 365 users utilizing Exchange Online. Today, the company has enabled new customization options for the feature.

Reply-all Storm Protection automatically detects email storms for Microsoft 365 users and once that is done, automatically blocks reply-alls for a fixed period of time. While previously, some values required by the capability were hard-coded, Microsoft has made new customization options available today. It has also changed default values based on customer telemetry. You can view a comparison between the previous configuration and the modifications to it below.

Setting Previous Default New Default New Customization Options Enabled/disabled Enabled Enabled Enabled or Disabled Minimum number of recipients 5000 2500 1000 to 5000 Minimum number of reply-alls 10 10 5 to 20 Detection time sliding window 60 minutes 60 minutes 60 minutes (not customizable) Block duration (once detected) 4 hours 6 hours 1 to 12 hours The firm has also outlined commands for the Set-TransportConfig Remote PowerShell cmdlet that IT admins can use to configure these settings as per their organization's preference.

Microsoft has stated that the update is rolling out right now and should be available to all Microsoft 365 customers by mid-June. Future updates planned for the capability include insights, reports, and optional notifications. Depending upon feedback and interest, the company made also make these customization options available directly in the Exchange Admin Center.

• By indospot
      New Windows 10 concept shows us a new Start menu and flyouts
      by João Carrasqueira

Over the years, there's been no shortage of user-created concepts that try to depict what Windows 10 could look like, and that partly happens due to the number of inconsistencies across the OS, and how long it usually takes for changes to be made. A few weeks ago, a Reddit user focused on the File Explorer, but today, we have a new concept from Twitter user vGLAD, whose concept design is called Project Acrylic and focused on the Start menu and a couple of system flyouts.

Starting with (of course) the Start menu, we can see that the concept has it undocked from the taskbar and using rounded corners, something we're already expecting based on Sun Valley leaks from earlier in the year. However, there's a lot more going on here, starting with the dual-tone look thanks to the left-side pane using Acrylic transparency effects and the main area being a solid color. The All Apps list has been removed in favor of quick shortcuts to user folders and also some system settings like Disk Management, personalization, and connected devices.

Tiles are also done away with, and instead, a set of commonly-used apps and websites headlines the right-side section of the Start Menu, similar to how the Windows 10X Start menu looks in the preview builds we've had access to. However, below that you'll see Quick Access, which is usually a page in File Explorer, now more readily available. Users can pin folders and documents to this area, too. At the bottom, a button can take the user to the All Apps list.

You can also see the File Explorer in this screenshot, but it's not a big focus for this concept. It features a dual-tone design similar to the Start menu, and the ribbon has been removed, with core actions like renaming or deleting a file having new shortcuts near the top right corner. Some of the icons have also been redone.

Moving on to the next image, the concept focuses on the volume flyout and a new 'Devices' flyout, too. Both also use rounded corners, along with Acrylic transparency and solid colors to help highlight certain UI elements, and offer quick access to certain controls. In this image, you can also see updated icons and spacing for the system tray icons.

The sound flyout allows users to switch input and output devices on the fly and control music playback directly from the flyout, while the devices flyout offers a quick overview of devices plugged into the PC or connected wirelessly, with shortcuts to manage their files in the File Explorer.

The concept has garnered praise by other Twitter users, but of course, it's unlikely Microsoft will implement these concepts anytime soon. Microsoft has made some notable changes to the design in Windows 10 builds in the Dev channel, but they aren't this thorough, and they may take a while to be available to the general audience.

• By anmol112
      Microsoft delivers oxygen, ventilators, and more to support India's COVID-19 response
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Source: Microsoft India is currently battling a second wave of COVID-19 that has taken a toll on the country's healthcare infrastructure. With over 400,000 new cases every day, India has become a hotspot for the second wave of coronavirus.

Today, Microsoft announced that the company is stepping in to help India fight the battle with coronavirus. In a blog post, Kate Behncken, Vice President and Lead of Microsoft Philanthropies shared some of the ways in which Microsoft is helping India with essential supplies and tech support. Microsoft also took this opportunity to announce Global Task Force on Pandemic Response. The task force includes Microsoft and a couple of other companies that will be assisting the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Business Roundtable. The Redmond giant notes that it will be focusing on India at the moment but plans to provide support to other countries as well.

As a part of the response, Microsoft has acquired 1,000 ventilators for hospitals in India. The company is also working with the U.S.-India Strategic Partnership Forum to provide over 250,000 oxygen concentration devices to hospitals in India. Along with medical supplies, Microsoft has also raised over $3 million through Microsoft's employee giving program. These funds will be given to organisations working in India and include Oxfam India and UNICEF.

Lastly, Microsoft is also providing technological support to Indian government. The company is giving free access to Microsoft Teams to both commercial and government organisation. In addition to this, Microsoft has also activated the Microsoft Disaster Response Team and is coordinating with both government agencies and first responders to provide technological support.

Microsoft notes that this aid builds on the work it did last year that provided humanitarian aid, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), high-performance testing equipment including a mobile testing bus, and research support. The company is also working on solving the food insecurity problem caused by the disruption of livelihood.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft Defender bug creates "thousands" of files in the boot drive, fix rolling out now
      by Abhay Venkatesh

In the past few days, numerous reports on Reddit and Microsoft’s forums began pointing towards issues with Microsoft Defender that was causing users’ boot drives to fill up. While some users complained of small files less than 2KB in size causing minor problems, other reported seeing multiple gigabytes of storage hijacked by thousands of files in the Windows Defender folder. The files were showing up in the programData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Store folder, causing massive backups as well.

Guessing from a long list of responses on multiple forum threads and on Reddit, the bug was affecting users running multiple security software on Windows Server 2016 and 2019. Some users reported being unable to open the folder itself, thanks to the boot drive filling up and causing slowdowns. While some admins suggested disabling real-time protection in Defender, others began sharing command-line scripts to delete files in the History folder.

Image credit: BleepingComputer A response on another Reddit thread from a user who raised the issue with Microsoft’s support teams suggests that the firm has acknowledged the issue and is already rolling out a fix for the problem. This was corroborated by another user’s comment on the support forums. The culprit supposedly is present in the Engine version 1.1.18100.5 and is being fixed with an update, bumping the version up to 1.1.18100.6. The update has begun propagating to users in the “normal release cycles” and will make it to mainstream users tomorrow, May 6, the user adds.

The bug has understandably been a frustrating one for system admins, thanks to the system slowdowns and backup issues caused to Windows Server users. If you have been facing this issue, it is best to check for updates in Windows Update to look for the fix.

Source: Microsoft Docs forums (1)(2) via Deskmodder.de | Image credit: BleepingComputer

• By indospot
      Minecraft Dungeons gets cross-platform cloud saves, but you have to sync manually
      by João Carrasqueira

Mojang Studios' Minecraft dungeon-crawler spin-off Minecraft Dungeons was launched almost one year ago on all major platforms at the time, but it was oddly missing the ability to carry your save data across different devices if you chose to buy the game on more than one console. Now, the developers have announced that the feature is available as part of today's update for the game, version 1.8.8.0.

Cloud saves will allow players to sync their Heroes to the cloud, which they can then use to play on another console. However, the process isn't as automatic or fluid as some might hope. The game's Hero Select screen will have a new option that allows you to upload a specific Hero to the cloud, as well as download them to your console if you've already uploaded one. You have to do this manually every time you switch platforms, and there's a limit of 20 heroes that can be saved on the cloud at any given time.

Additionally, it's worth noting that DLC purchases don't carry over from platform to platform, so if you have equipped items from a specific DLC pack, they will be removed from your Hero when you load it up on a platform where you haven't bought the DLC. You also can't play on DLC maps unless you buy them on the platform you want to play on.

There have been four DLC packs released since the game's launch, so to be unable to carry over those purchases across platforms is likely going to be a problem for many players, and it takes away a significant portion of the impact of cloud saves. Regardless, if you happen to have bought the game and its DLC packs across more than one platform, this may be good news for you. Earlier this year, Mojang announced that over 10 million people had bought Minecraft Dungeons, so there's a solid fanbase that might have use for the feature.

Aside from that, today's patch includes a number of fixes and tweaks, including multiple crashes that have been addressed and a handful of other issues. The game is also now available in Chinese Traditional and Simplified variants across all platforms.