Microsoft added Search box on New Tab Page in IE 11 with Patch Tuesday Update

With today's Patch Tuesday, Cumulative Update released for Internet Explorer 11 added Search Box on New Tab Page, its not confirmed whether similar can be experienced on IE9 and IE10 since both have identical UI to IE11. Its IE11 only. Now IE11 follows Firefox and Chrome for search box on NTP.

It only works if your default search engine would be BING. I tried to change Search Engine to Google by adding search provider from iegallery and this search box vanished from NTP.

Here is the picture:

JLB02EU.png

Increasingly, users search the web through the Internet Explorer address bar. To keep up with this growing need, this update increases prominence of web suggestions in Internet Explorer 11 so that you can easily select an appropriate web search suggestion. The changes include the following:

• History and Favorites group headers are not displayed in the suggestions list of the address bar. This lets more suggestions display in the same vertical space.
  • For certain queries, there may only be several web suggestions. However, for other more ambiguous queries, more web suggestions may have to be displayed to capture your intent. With this update, the search engine can control how many web suggestions are appropriate for the typed query so that you receive the appropriate number of relevant suggestions.
  • Domain suggestions for sites that you never visited before are not displayed (for example, if you type "m" and you had never visited "mapquest.com", it will not be displayed). These domain suggestions did not receive many clicks from you and yet you use valuable real estate. Instead, more relevant suggestions are displayed.

KB Article for Cumulative Update: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=507016

Article for this specific change: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3004247

IE Blog about October Update: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/10/14/october-2014-updates-and-a-preview-of-changes-to-out-of-date-activex-control-blocking.aspx

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with IE11 installed, I did not get this as an update to IE11, so I am going to assume that it's for Windows 8 and above.

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with IE11 installed, I did not get this as an update to IE11, so I am going to assume that it's for Windows 8 and above.

Thanks for confirming.. I didn't had any VM or PC with Windows 7 to verify this.

shows up for Windows 8.1U + latest update and bing default. The UX is weird though, when I start typing it switches to the address bar automatically.

Oh bing default, I have google as default for IE 11 on my Surface.

I still have the old one.

- OS?

- Which default Search Engine?

It seems to be broken on certain setups. Mine looks like this no matter what size I make the window. I have a 1080p screen. Page zoom is 100%.

~snipped~

Scroll bar is known issue from before. If Windows size is smaller enough that scroll bar appear, even after that if you maximize windows scroll bar does not go away.

Yeah, now old school scroll bar is new shiny 8+ one but its still UI glitch which they need to fix.

For others: This feature is now available for Windows 7 users as well, confirm through friend's laptop.

It seems to be broken on certain setups. Mine looks like this no matter what size I make the window. I have a 1080p screen. Page zoom is 100%.

wmTe9PM.jpg

How did you get those little live tiles on your taskbar like that?