Cannot access SMB network shares on Windows 8.1

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

gregor

Hi,

recently, I've found out, I "lost access" to my NAS SMB configured device from Windows 8.1. When trying to access it from Windows Explorer, I get "Windows cannot access \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" (where x's is real network ip). The thing is, I CAN access those shares from:

- other linux computer,

- windows 7 pro

- android phone using ES File Explorer. 

Error that shows is "0x80004005" and I even attached epl file if you can scan through it. 

I've googled a bit and found several ideas to try:

- changing policies in Local Computer Policy

- disabling Antivirus & firewall

- adding registry key IRPStackSize to value 14, 20 etc

- running powershell command as admin:IRPStackSize

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EncryptData $true
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EncryptData -RejectUnencryptedAccess $false

I have no idea what to do.

Ping works, transmission can be accessed and ftp too. There's only this win 8.1 computer that doesn't want to communicate.

Can someone please tell me what else I can try?

Thank you and best regards

Gregor  :angry:

2A38EBA3-3DAD-420D-8E51-EA5E82A7A431.Diagnose.0.etl.zip

20 answers to this question

+BudMan

All fixed! ;) Port issue.. smb.conf was listening on 443 not 445.. He has some weird issue with his nic that needs to be worked out. But he can access his shares now. TV made it so much easier to see what was going on.

• Like 1
+BudMan

Do you have file and print sharing enabled on the win 8.1 box? Check properties box of your network interface.

Can you access other shares from this 8.1 box? Are you wired or wireless? Is the nas wired or wireless?

These are normally easier to troubleshoot/fix if just do a Team Viewer session.

jamieakers

0x80004005 indicates a generic "Access Denied".  Are you logging into the Windows 8 box with a blank password?

T4G3RXIII

Maybe your NAS doesn't support using a Microsoft account to authenticate - using name@outlook.com to log into 8.1 vs using a local account.  I had this problem with my old QNAP NAS.  Try creating a local account on your PC and use the same credentials on the NAS.

+Ryster

I had this same problem with some our SAN volumes at my work. But only some of them, others are fine. It depends if the SAN (or NAS in your case) supports the new secure SMB mechanism that the new OS' use.

I now have a .reg file that I import on Windows 8 machines that fixes it straight away. If I remember rightly, this disables secure SMB or SMB2 or something like that.

I'm at home now so don't have access to it, but I'll grab it for you tomorrow. Assuming nobody else beats me to it before then.

Update, this might be it as it sounds familiar:

http://www.adamfowlerit.com/2013/05/26/unable-to-map-drives-from-windows-8/

gregor

0x80004005 indicates a generic "Access Denied".  Are you logging into the Windows 8 box with a blank password?

Hi. Windows 8.1 has only 1 LOCAL account, no password.

Do you have file and print sharing enabled on the win 8.1 box? Check properties box of your network interface.

Can you access other shares from this 8.1 box? Are you wired or wireless? Is the nas wired or wireless?

File and print sharing is enabled on network interface.

My pc is on network over cable, same goes for NAS device. I agree about TV.

Maybe your NAS doesn't support using a Microsoft account to authenticate - using name@outlook.com to log into 8.1 vs using a local account.  I had this problem with my old QNAP NAS.  Try creating a local account on your PC and use the same credentials on the NAS.

Of course it doesn't. Its set up as everyone on network can access PUBLIC directory with anonymous access. :) I will make another local account and try to access again.

I had this same problem with some our SAN volumes at my work. But only some of them, others are fine. It depends if the SAN (or NAS in your case) supports the new secure SMB mechanism that the new OS' use.

I now have a .reg file that I import on Windows 8 machines that fixes it straight away. If I remember rightly, this disables secure SMB or SMB2 or something like that.

I'm at home now so don't have access to it, but I'll grab it for you tomorrow. Assuming nobody else beats me to it before then.

Update, this might be it as it sounds familiar:

http://www.adamfowlerit.com/2013/05/26/unable-to-map-drives-from-windows-8/

Did most of what your url states except those registry inputs. Going to try those too.

Also called on Microsoft support and, yep.. here's the answer they gave "we don't support 3rd party apps but you can call UK support if they can help you out with that" o_O

daorbed9

Go in credential manager, remove any credentials for the network share and reboot.  Then try to connect again.

gregor

Go in credential manager, remove any credentials for the network share and reboot.  Then try to connect again.

No credentials there at all.

Also, tried to create another LOCAL account with password. Same results.

post-292-0-39149300-1413480603.png

gregor

Adding: Yes.. i can access raspberry pi SMB without a problem.

+BudMan

If you want to do a TV session more than happy to take a look see. Just PM your info and we can take a quick look see, I would install wireshark before hand so we can do a sniff and see what the NAS is sending back exactly..

Wireshark is free - you can grab it here.. https://www.wireshark.org/download.html

or we can install when I TV in.

• Like 1
Draconian Guppy

All fixed! ;) Port issue.. smb.conf was listening on 443 not 445.. He has some weird issue with his nic that needs to be worked out. But he can access his shares now. TV made it so much easier to see what was going on.

Show off!

You didn't help me when I was all alone here, you're not the hero I thought  you were :(

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1225735-mapping-linux-drive-to-windows-81-pc/

I kid I kid :P

+BudMan

I would of been more than happy to help in that thread ;) Just didn't see it.. While I do visit that section now and then, its more when nothing else is going on in the other section ;)

If you want me to look into a thread, PM me next time ;)

• Like 1
Draconian Guppy

I would of been more than happy to help in that thread ;) Just didn't see it.. While I do visit that section now and then, its more when nothing else is going on in the other section ;)

If you want me to look into a thread, PM me next time ;)

The funny thing I was going to PM you, but I managed :P  Just starting some friendly conversation. Now.. quit the thread hacking.

gregor

Good morning. I'm stil shocked and amazed to see the issue is finally gone, thanks to @BudMan. 

- Wireshark, for start, did show that my NAS is rejecting my Win8.1 machine. 

- Checking Network adapter settings, we've found out, we cannot access ipv4 properties to check IP settings. It said there's no adapter installed/enabled.  :|

- Checking NAS device, there was samba service running, but checking listening ports, 445 wasn't among them.

- Checking smb.conf, listening ports for samba were stated as 443 139. Yes, 443 instead of 445. After switching this to 445 and restarting service, I could access shares from my win8.1.

- I still have to fix no adapter found (google search resulted in removing network adapter from device manager and reinstalling it).

But, I'd like to thank BudMan again for his help. Finally, I've found a sysadmin somewhere just waiting for my problem to pop-up on a forum :) Thank you!

Regards all!  :woot:

+BudMan

I think you have some clean up to do in that network, lots of protocols enabled that prob of no use LLMNR, LLTD.  While these protocols can be of use - security 101 says if not actually using them -- turn them off.  You would of thunk MS would of learned this lesson years ago with IIS, and messenger being on out of the box and all the trouble that caused. 

Sorry but you don't need 3 different transition methods to get to ipv6 from ipv4 on out of the box!!  isatap, teredo and 6to4 -- let the user turn on the one they need if any.

Here to help if you have any questions..  Your systems did seem to be very responsive - got some decent hardware I do believe, and internet connection was solid.  Let us know how that nic error turns out, did you uninstall it and reinstall yet?

GaryO

I am having a similar issue.  I have 3 different NAS.  Buffalo, Drobo & Iomega.  They all appeared under network, the Drobo and Buffalo are still mapped.  I cannot reach the IOmega,  I can ping to it.  I can not resolve to it.  I see it frin frm Windows 7. It worked until this week.

BILLASH

hello BUDMAN

Please could you help me ?

I have a oppo multimedia and music / video nice system client which can connect to my shares and usb drives to my windows seven computer, my iomega nas, mysmart  tv, my printer, but bad really bad thing it can't connect to the dual core recent acer computer connected by ethernet with SMB protocols actived 1.0 if i remember

but i have to give you an information the oppo  can connect to the C:  internal drive only of the computer WIN 8.1. I hope you may have an idea of this bad situation because i bought this computer ((8.1) for purposal susic and video shares with my oppo client system which answers by error name/pass altough i tried all credentials possible.

note: ALL other system may acceed to the 8.1 only oppo is a problem but as i said the oppo is aceeding in all other usd drives sharing or nas

So the oppo is not a problem

Thanks ver y much for your help i must conncet to thhis 8.2 PC with pnp servers which does not fits me totally far from this

Best regards

Thanks !

Bill

Mindovermaster
2 hours ago, BILLASH said:

hello BUDMAN

Please could you help me ?

I have a oppo multimedia and music / video nice system client which can connect to my shares and usb drives to my windows seven computer, my iomega nas, mysmart  tv, my printer, but bad really bad thing it can't connect to the dual core recent acer computer connected by ethernet with SMB protocols actived 1.0 if i remember

but i have to give you an information the oppo  can connect to the C:  internal drive only of the computer WIN 8.1. I hope you may have an idea of this bad situation because i bought this computer ((8.1) for purposal susic and video shares with my oppo client system which answers by error name/pass altough i tried all credentials possible.

note: ALL other system may acceed to the 8.1 only oppo is a problem but as i said the oppo is aceeding in all other usd drives sharing or nas

So the oppo is not a problem

Thanks ver y much for your help i must conncet to thhis 8.2 PC with pnp servers which does not fits me totally far from this

Best regards

Thanks !

Bill

Make your own thread. Please do not necro this old thread....

Jason S.

Please start a new thread. This one is from 2015. Thank you.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      How to install new fonts in Windows 10 for apps like Office
      by Usama Jawad

Fancy! While Microsoft already ships a decent set of fonts with Windows 10 which Office apps also utilize, there may come a time in your life when they may not be enough and you may feel the need to install a custom font downloaded from the internet. Such a moment came recently in my professional life when a client wanted my team to develop a dashboard in Microsoft Power BI using a custom font. Although we thought there would be a straightforward solution for this requirement, we learned that we would need to specify the font in a JSON theme file, but it would only work if said font is installed on your Windows machine.

Much to our disappointment, we learned that the font the customer wants us to utilize is not available in Windows 10, which means that we have to install it first. Thankfully, the process to install new fonts on Windows 10 is easier than I anticipated, and today, I will walk you through what you need to do in order to enable the same, should you ever be faced by a similar requirement - or if you just want to try new fonts. This approach will also work for apps installed on Windows 10, like Microsoft Office.

Step 1: Download a custom font
      First up, you obviously need to have the custom font downloaded on your machine. There are multiple ways to do this. Starting with the built-in options on Windows 10, you need to head over to Settings > Personalization > Fonts and click on "Get more fonts in Microsoft Store", as can be seen in the screenshot above.

This will open a dedicated section in the Microsoft Store listing some custom fonts. Choose any font that tickles your fancy, and click on the "Get" button from the store listing. For the sake of this guide, I clicked on the "Ink Journal" font, as can be seen above.

Once the font is installed, it will be visible to you in Office apps from the fonts drop down. As you can see in the screenshot above, I selected the "Ink Journal" font which I just installed, and I can use it without any issue.

But wait, what if a font you want is not available in the Microsoft Store? That is a completely valid scenario considering the Microsoft Store just contains a couple dozen custom fonts, and it's very likely that if you're looking for a specific obscure font, it won't be there. Or maybe you just like the fonts available there.

In this case, we would want to download something from the web. Good news is that this is fairly simple too. Supported font file format types in Windows 10 are .ttf and .otf, which stand for TrueType and OpenType respectively. If you're interested in knowing the difference between them, there are multiple guides available on the web which tell you exactly that, however, this is out of the scope of this article.

In our case, we are only interested in downloading .ttf or .otf font files and install them on Windows 10. Luckily, there are lots of dedicated websites which offer exactly that, such as Font Squirrel and DaFont, among others. Most downloads will contain a .zip file which you would need to extract using WinRar, 7Zip, or some other compression tool. In our case, I downloaded "Cassandra", just because it looks fancy, sue me. As you can see in the screenshot above, there is font file named "CassandraPersonalUseRegular-3BjG.ttf", which is what I'll be installing in the next step. This concludes our first step in terms of your options for downloading fonts not available on the Microsoft Store. For the sake of simplicity and brevity, I'll refer to whatever font you downloaded as the ".ttf file" in the next parts of this guide.

Step 2: Install a custom font
      Now that you have downloaded a .ttf file from the web, your next step would be to install it on your machine. There are multiple ways to do this but you may require administrative privileges on your operating system because fonts on Windows 10 are installed in the C:\Windows\Fonts directory by default.

One way to install the custom font would be to once again open the Settings > Personalization > Fonts configuration in Windows 10, and at the top, you'll notice an option called "Drag and drop to install". Do exactly that with the .ttf file you downloaded, and that's it. After you do this, it will also be visible in the fonts list on the same page. A screenshot of this option is attached above.

Another way to install a font is via the context menu. Simply right click on your .ttf file which will open the context menu containing two options called "Install" and "Install for all users". The first will install it just for the current user, the second will install it for all users and is something to consider if you are using a shared machine. Click on either of these options depending on your preference as shown in the screenshot shown above, and you're done.

Yet another option to accomplish the same as the two alternatives described above in this step is to simply double-click on the .ttf file which will automatically open it in a dedicated editor. Click on the "Install" option at the top, and that's pretty much it.

Once you're done with either of the options explained in the step above, the font will be visible in the list on the Settings > Personalization > Fonts page as well as the C:\Windows\Fonts directory. A screenshot of the former is above. You could copy-paste the font file to the C:\Windows\Fonts directory directly and while that may be the fastest option, it's not the most user-friendly if you're not familiar with the Windows directory structure.

Step 3 (optional): Uninstall a custom font
      If you viewed this article just to find out how to install a custom font, you don't need to read further. That said, there may come a day where you would like to uninstall a custom font just to clear the bloat on your machine as well as the options available to you in Office apps on Windows 10.

In this case, simply head over to the same Settings > Personalization > Fonts page, locate the font you want to uninstall and click on it. This will open a dedicated page for the font, where you'll see a button called "Uninstall" as shown in the screenshot above. Click on it, and the font will be uninstalled. This concludes our guide as well!

Did you find this guide useful? Have you ever come across this use-case before? What other tutorials would you like to see on Neowin next? Sound off in the comments section below!

• By Abhay V
      Nvidia to drop Game Ready Driver updates for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 starting this October
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Nvidia today detailed its plans for Game Ready Drivers upgrade support for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. The company posted a support article that states that it will cease to provide Game Ready Driver updates for its graphic cards for the mentioned versions starting October 2021. However, it does note that it will continue to serve “critical security updates” for systems running those operating systems until September 2024.

Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 in January 2020, while Windows 8 lost its support in January 2016 – a short life span for the OS thanks to Windows 8.1 and the debacle that Windows 8 was. However, while Windows 8.1 reached the end of mainstream support back in 2018, the OS is still being serviced with security updates and will be till January 2023.

Nvidia, says that a “vast majority” of its GeForce customers have migrated to Windows 10 and that it aims to provide the “best possible security, support, and functionality” for those users, which is why it is focusing on Windows 10 alone. In the FAQ section, it adds that it will ship the last Game Ready Driver that supports the three operating system on August 31, with the first drivers to drop support for the versions completely expected to ship in October.

The change might not be a major one considering that most users are running the latest offering from the Redmond giant. However, for those that are still on older versions, they can rest assured that their GPUs will be served with updates to address any critical vulnerabilities. However, they will lose out on upgrades with performance enhancements, new features, and bug fixes, Nvidia says.

• By Abhay V
      Windows 7 and 8.1 Patch Tuesday updates are now out, here's the complete changelog
      by Abhay Venkatesh

As is the case every month, Microsoft is releasing cumulative updates for all supported Windows versions. These include the three most recent Windows 10 versions for consumers and a few versions that are supported for specific channels and select SKUs. Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 too are receiving updates, with the latter being reserved for those who have opted to pay for extended updates.

As usual, the updates are split into two parts – monthly rollup and security-only updates. Monthly rollup packages are automatically served through Windows Update and security-only updates can be manually downloaded through the update catalog.

Starting with Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2, the monthly rollup is KB5003671 and can be downloaded manually from the Update Catalog here. The changelog for this patch includes:

As for the security-only update, that is labeled as KB5003681 and can be manually downloaded from here. The list of fixes is similar to that of the monthly rollup. Here's the changelog posted by the firm:

Both updates share the same known issue that users must be aware of. Here are the problems documented by the firm:

Symptom

Workaround

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Moving on to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, the monthly rollup is KB5003667 and can be downloaded from here manually. It comes with the following fixes and improvements detailed in the knowledge base changelog:

The security-only update is labeled KB5003694 and can be downloaded manually from the Update Catalog here. The fixes listed in this patch are as follows:

Both these updates share the same set of known issues, with the renaming issue now being there on the list for a long time.

Symptom

Workaround

After installing this update or later updates, connections to SQL Server 2005 might fail. You might receive an error, "Cannot connect to , Additional information: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)"

This is expected behavior due to a security hardening change in this update. To resolve this issue, you will need to update to a supported version of SQL Server.

After installing this update and restarting your device, you might receive the error, “Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer,” and the update might show as Failed in Update History.

This is expected in the following circumstances:

If you are installing this update on a device that is running an edition that is not supported for ESU. For a complete list of which editions are supported, see KB4497181. If you do not have an ESU MAK add-on key installed and activated. If you have purchased an ESU key and have encountered this issue, please verify you have applied all prerequisites and that your key is activated. For information on activation, please see this blog post. For information on the prerequisites, see the "How to get this update" section of this article.

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

As is always the case, you can head to Windows Update and check for updates to pull the monthly rollup patches. You can also head to the individual download links for the security-only updates which can only be manually installed.

• By +BudMan
      So there has been an on going thread about powerline adapters, well the OP finally got some - and I was curious about speed he is seeing, etc.  So told him would post up links to some tools.

This lead me to compiling the latest version of iperf3 I could find for windows Since I couldn't find one.  So figured post it up if anyone is interested.

Got the source from here https://github.com/esnet/iperf
      Found a blog post how to compile on windows here http://www.embeddedsystemtesting.com/2014/08/how-to-compile-iperf3-for-windows.html

So few minutes later I end up with a copy of the current iperf3 that works on windows.  Needs a few cygwin dlls, included in the zip.  But other than that unzip and go.

It has lots of new options compared to the older versions

Been a fan of iperf for years, so will prob keep this current when new versions come out since doesn't seem like anyone else is posting up the windows builds, etc.
      You can grab all my compiled versions here https://files.budman.pw/
      Any questions on its use, just ask -- post up some tests as well!!

edit: updated this on 02/25/17 new build 3.1.6
      http://software.es.net/iperf/news.html#iperf-3-1-6-released
      This version of iperf3 contains two minor fixes. Notably, one of them unbreaks JSON output with UDP tests.

edit2:  5/23/17 Thanks to @Datalink for letting me know site was down.  Back up now, if your having issues flush your dns had to move it to different host.  Added site to my monitoring so next time it goes down will know right away
      BTW 3.1.7 just typo's so no reason to compile it
      2017-03-06: iperf-3.1.7 released
      This version of iperf3 contains two documentation fixes, but is otherwise identical to the prior release.

edit3: 7/6/17 Updated to new 3.2 build
      http://files.budman.pw/iperf3.2_32bit.zip
      CRC32: 9e4b913c
      MD5: ff7fc42f6ba29e9f83c8bb8e0066f722
      SHA-1: 68ad3a0f0c2f30c1756f0a5eb39e1062e6beb6f4
      http://files.budman.pw/iperf3.2_64bit.zip
      CRC32: add96290
      MD5: 7a014ff67b1d678f546ead2360820d47
      SHA-1: 98ed98ac6d392a4484e5151ab2f714390c99b52e

edi4: 11/18/17 Updated to new 3.3 build
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.3_64.zip
      MD5: 49095ccb2442101d2a1ffc6213f3d1b9
      SHA-256: 1fea7ae97b8ec5ab1c61ef1afcf7afd491d37ef41061a845f9bb8477425c66db

https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.3_32.zip
      MD5: b6ad4c094a18196e0798e1a2825bc609
      SHA-256: 919978ac0b574d7662d5b0e58174a6107002db96e7592929a9a28938516a2c5f

edit5: 02/16/2018 Updated to new 3.4 build see post in thread
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.4_32.zip
      MD5: 3b805d0895e7bb4d005429ed5859dd00
      SHA-256: 82a933bbf96731a615ee5ae40bc1e6986ffcdd0b83c7c4e9cd024a996b3c0808
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.4_64.zip
      MD5: e4c0d2d8bda22ebbb710a9a65aacddf9
      SHA-256: 7a3f83d211d22102d05dcf0eb24f4ff8cd3d9083aada9a27c88ba7ced0a0eccc

edit6: 03/05/2018 Updated to 3.5 build, see post in thread
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.5_64.zip
      CRC32: 18962237
      MD5: 840a2d5e0f81d8a6dc0d8be854caf61a
      SHA-1: 1a18185c79645b082392dcd024b7e53900dc38bd
      SHA-256: 94a0ec4e486904a6a8ebe390eca37871f47a097599908c3647d6ad1d0bbdff59

https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.5_32.zip
      CRC32: 21d8a0eb
      MD5: dd79fe69c86e62c780e45e6e0d2ec66d
      SHA-1: 2c63c1f9ef35be23170869a6a7eb048241aa2f14
      SHA-256: bf4b95a58e54ceda101e33b0b908c581df1ce4a217f233e1092dc3278572de43

edit7:
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.6_64bit.zip
      CRC32: A9B23E64
      MD5: 3530BD3C837EA146C8F98106FA94E395
      SHA-1: 7E09239B207739714294A4EA1DA9C69623374740
      SHA-256: DE958C4CF72DBC64DCBB42130BD466D9FD367E4519C5C3F78A6675CA87E12B7D

edit8: Updated 7/6/2019 New 3.7 build, see post in thread
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.7_64.zip
      CRC32: 13EB9AD9
      MD5: 96C2C058B0128BEC346BD0D034D7B31E
      SHA-1: 83978F54B7EDDA073CC4E865493AA6544862879A
      SHA-256: 93FB4641810C06DE554E97FD4E6B44CEFBD8ECB8EA8CFEA3CC550B823C3E89CE

edit9: Updated 3/11/2020 updated cygwin, guess there was some bug in the cygwindll, see post in thread.
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.7_64_updated_cygwin1dll.zip
      CRC32: ABCA3CAA
      MD5: C3594A08967FD57BF36F757980480F9D
      SHA-1: DF6C8B3D18941DABBC5AB21ACB5844A062620092
      SHA-256: B1A14F8B2435AAA98D26F8499DF23BF6532B5F0EA2288DA04E0C28333EDBC48E

edit10: Updated 6/9/2020 New 3.8 build, see post in thread
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.8_64bit.zip
      MD5: 38A01DC0D4CC67058B094A96274A6F49
      SHA-256: E37B0885EFA60106A3333CDAE878815B2306B434175F2BFBAF2DBF709BAB2049

edit11: updated 6/10/2020 New 3.8.1, see post in thread
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.8.1_64.zip
      CRC32: 69CE7B06
      MD5: 1157B038DC04646B074A822A171E77A7
      SHA-1: A692D6E5FAD3004A229C92661EC4448004EA269E
      SHA-256: CD337C2EEB5ACF02713867990E4F9F0656CC0CAEA850F3B3C289DD79305DF1A1

edit12: updated 8/17/2020 New 3.9, see post in thread
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.9_64.zip
      Name: iperf3.9_64.zip
      Size: 1542276 bytes (1506 KiB)
      SHA256: 15D2D3C2A8B9A69EFD9991FEFE5206E31D6055399F7A4C663C3CB6D77B6770F8

edit13: updated 5/31/2021, see post in thread
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.10_64bit.zip
      SHA256: 098f276552939acec2a9a7d6990e79bac17e45fb951d32ce59c2d764cdcaf15a

edit14: updated 6/4/2021, released a new build
      https://files.budman.pw/iperf3.10.1_64bit.zip
      sha256     2cf3ff3671f9f4f57cf01ab8b2d960feb9e087d450f3b58aaf4ab82333262be0
      iperf 3.10.1 fixes a problem with the configure script that made it make not work correctly in some circumstances. It is functionally identical to iperf 3.10.
      I didn't seem to have any issues with my 3.10 build, but redid to keep with current version numbers.

• By Abhay V
      Windows 11 might be the next major Windows version from Microsoft after all
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft is slated to hold an event to unveil what is next for Windows (and not Windows 10 per se) on June 24. The Redmond giant’s executives have been dropping hints about the “next generation of Windows” since earlier this year, with the latest being the firm’s CEO himself.

While there has been speculation about the possibility of Windows 11 being the successor to Windows 10, there hasn’t been much in the way of leaks to corroborate that theory. That changes now, thanks to prolific leaker Evan Blass who mentioned the “Windows 11” name for a “forthcoming Microsoft OS” on Twitter.

The company is known to be working on a visual refresh of the OS – codenamed Sun Valley – which aims to modernize the UI and bring over some of the features that were expected to ship with Windows 10X – an OS that might not see the light of the day. Additionally, it is also rumored to be introducing new Microsoft Store policies which will help widen the reach of the store when it comes to the types of apps that can be offered through it.

A change in branding signifies the magnitude of changes expected to be made with the update. In addition to the leak, Microsoft itself has been dropping subtle hints through the event invite itself. Some speculate that the shadow caused by the Microsoft logo in the short video posted on Twitter displays an “11” due to the absence of the horizontal bar in the shadow. However, it’s all just a game of guesswork for now. There is also no information on what the update cadence for the OS will be.

With the event still a few weeks away, it wouldn’t be surprising to see more information leak out, providing a clearer picture of the company’s plans for Windows. Microsoft will steam the virtual event live on June 24 at 11AM ET, which you can watch here.