Looking for New Nikon - Some Advice

I've had my D60 for years now and thought it might be nice to give it an upgrade.

The D60 was my first SLR and I've toyed with not bothering with it and getting a nice point and shoot.  But then when reviewing the photos, I forget the point and shoot and think back to SLR, more for the quality than anything else.  I usually just stick to P mode and let it do it's thing.  Occasionally I have set the aperture and flash at speeds I want but generally it's not something I play around with at all.

Why Nikon I hear you say?  Well here's the kit I have:

Flash gun (SB-200)

Remote

55 - 200mm lens

All Nikon branded (I'm a bit of a brand horse like that).

I did have a Sigma wide angle lens, but rarely used it and hated the sides getting all stretched.  I had the ?600 micro lens from Nikon too but couldn't get on with it, so sold that too.

I have a Nokia 920, which has a pretty good camera, although the front facing lens blurs everything on one third of the shot, which is a shame.  I didn't think to use the DSLR when I went to Paris as a bit of a selfie camera - we only took one using it.  However every day snaps, the Nokia covers it.

Is a full frame camera the way to go?

I don't really know the difference, apart form a full frame gives you a bigger shot?  Will be doing some research after posting this.

Is there an equivilent to the D80?

When I was looking at my D60, they were just replacing the D80 with it's successor but it was still a highly regarded camera.  I'm just interested but I don't think I would use the top screen anyway.

Should I look at HD video capabilities?

While it would be a nice addition, I don't think I would use it as it would simply be a shaky mess.  Anyone use their in camera capability?

Budget

Really, it's anywhere from ?500 to ?1000 but I don't want to pay for features I won't use.

I was looking at the D5200 from the other thread, which seems good with the flip out screen so I can take fairly good selfie shots (assuming the screen allows this), but then I saw the D7100.  While it doesn't have the slip screen, it certainly does have a number of nice features.  However for the price difference, I could probably replicate some of the features using Photoshop or whatever.

BUt then Amazon recommended the D5300, which seems to satisfy my "I want the best" (as it's better than the 5200), but still within budget.

Thanks for any advice :)

Since you have that much money to spend, and also aren't hugely invested in the Nikon ecosystem, I wouldn't think of it as your only option and you have a much easier ability of being able to go for something new, and I don't just mean Canon. ;)

Have you considered the Compact Systems, especially since they can really hold their own against SLR cameras now and are much more portable. Cameras such as the Olympus OMD-EM series are astonishing for the price and much more portable. If I didn't have my current setup and wanted to get into photography, the OMD set of cameras would be what I would choose immediately. Nothing to do with the fact the first camera I started shooting with was an OM10... :P

There is a nice table on Wiki that shows all of Nikon's models, what they have evolved from and to and what entry level they are at, I'll try and paste it in but also link back in-case the formatting goes screwy.

EDIT: it did go horribly wrong. 

Mirrorless is a great way to go. I went down from a Nikon to a Fujifilm X-T1 and is happier than ever. As Steve mentioned the OMD series is great too. M43 also has a greater variety of quality lenses to choose from.

I made the choice mainly because of portability, but still being able to retain the image quality (compared to DX anyways).

Within your budget, I'd suggest either a X-E2 w/18-55mm or a E-M10 w/14-42mm to start.

Well  for that budget and since your main concern is image quality, you could consider the recent sony mirrorless like Sony Alpha A6000    fullfram mirrorless goodness