Soda causes cells to age as much as smoking

Hum

Drink a 20-ounce soda daily, and you may be causing your cells to age as much as they would if you smoked, a study suggests. Researchers investigated DNA from 5,309 adults, focusing on telomeres, the caps on the ends of our cells' chromosomes, Time reports.

They found that drinking sugary soda was associated with shorter telomeres?and it's known that telomere length may be linked to life span, according to a University of California-San Francisco report.

Shorter telomeres also appear to be linked to heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. In the study, a daily 20-ounce soda was associated with an extra 4.6 years of aging?the same figure seen in smokers.

About 21 percent of subjects said they drank that much soda daily, while the average intake was 12 ounces. Researchers also looked at the effects of diet soda and fruit juice on telomeres; while "100 percent fruit juice was marginally associated with longer telomeres," they write in the American Journal of Public Health, diet sodas and non-carbonated "sugar-sweetened beverages" weren't associated with telomere length.

Still, the study points to the dangers of soda beyond its role in obesity. "The extremely high dose of sugar that we can put into our body within seconds by drinking sugared beverages is uniquely toxic to metabolism," says a study author.

source

Pam14160

. . . Oh Boy another one of those if you do this. . .you will die. . . :woot:

Tidosho

So true, Pam! The same "experts" and "scientists" that tell you something is good for you one minute then do a U Turn and tell you it's bad. You dunno who to trust these days....

Hedon

Water is bad for you.

Tidosho

Water is bad for you.

In a couple years, it'll cure cancer. Mark my words, the "scientists" are never wrong :P

• Like 1
JustGeorge

Jupiter's ****! Is there nothing I can have?! *Shakes fist at sky*

Hum

Caution:  being born may lead to Death :ninja:

vcfan

drinking soda  >  not aging 4.6 years   (Y)

sanctified

So true, Pam! The same "experts" and "scientists" that tell you something is good for you one minute then do a U Turn and tell you it's bad. You dunno who to trust these days....

Well... can you point me to the papers and researches that tell us that soda is good please?

• Like 1
Tidosho

Well... can you point me to the papers and researches that tell us that soda is good please?

My comment was a general one, not necessarily aimed at the soda. They always have a habit of saying something is bad/good for you, then soon afterward, reversing it.

neufuse

Is this going to turn into one of those Eggs are horrible for you and will hurt your heart, then a decade later turn into why aren't you eating enough eggs they are good for you type studies?

+Eternal Tempest

Link to study (had to go through a few links to get to the source of this article)

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302151

This following quote scream high fructose corn syrup. 

" diet sodas and non-carbonated "sugar-sweetened beverages" weren't associated with telomere length."

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JustinCharlier
      Apple reportedly has a secret team developing diabetes sensors for the Apple Watch
      by Justin Luna

The Apple Watch can monitor your heart rate The Apple Watch isn't simply just another smartwatch out there in the market. Aside from the power of accessing apps right from your wrist, it also can track your health, and see how your heart is doing.

With that in mind, it seems that Apple is exerting more effort towards using technology to better monitor your well-being. According to a report by CNBC, Apple has hired a small team of biomedical engineers to work in an office in Palo Alto to develop sensors that can non-invasively and continuously monitor blood sugar levels to better treat diabetes.

The Cupertino company has also reportedly been conducting feasibility trials at clinical stores across the San Francisco Bay Area, and has hired consultants to figure out regulatory pathways.

This "super secret initiative" was initially envisioned by the late Apple CEO Steve Jobs, and the effort has been going on for at least five years, say the sources close to CNBC. Jobs envisioned wearable devices, like smartwatches, being used to monitor important body vitals, such as oxygen levels, heart rate, and blood glucose.

Sources also state that Apple is developing optical sensors, which involve shining light through the skin to measure levels of glucose. In turn, this could help improve diagnosis of patients, as well as more accurate treatment for them.

Should the initiative become a total breakthrough, it could make devices like the Apple Watch a must-have product, especially for people who suffer from diabetes, instead of making it simply an accessory that complements our smartphones and fashion sense.

Apple , however, has not publicly commented regarding the report.

The Apple Watch is already being used towards improving the health of people around the world. In London, England, a hospital was found to be using the Apple wearable to remind chemotherapy patients in taking their medication. Also, the watch's heart rate monitor was able to help save a man's life in California, with the device's findings matching up to a doctor's test.

Source: CNBC via The Next Web | Image via Apple

• By Hum
      Only eating breakfast and lunch may be more effective at managing type 2 diabetes than eating smaller, more regular meals, scientists say.

Researchers in Prague fed two groups of 27 people the same calorie diet spread over two or six meals a day.

They found volunteers who ate two meals a day lost more weight than those who ate six, and their blood sugar dropped.

Experts said the study supported "existing evidence" that fewer, larger meals were the way forward.

Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body does not produce enough of the hormone insulin, which controls the amount of sugar in the blood, meaning blood sugar levels become too high.

more
    • By Hum
      David Cincotta was going about his business at a gas station in North Babylon, N.Y., last month when he noticed something troubling: a car rolling backward.

Cincotta, 43, ran after the car, managed to get inside, and put on the brakes before the vehicle could roll onto the street and into oncoming traffic, all of which was caught on tape by a security camera.

Cincotta, a father of six, spoke to WABC in New York about hearing the screams of the kids and giving chase. "I didn't even think," he said. "It was just 'Go.'"

What make's Cincotta's heroics even more impressive is his medical condition: Cincotta can't run.

"I have neuropathy up through my hips from diabetes, so I trip a lot, just walking," Cincotta said. "So for me to run, any of my friends who saw the video were like, 'I never seen you run like that.' Me, neither."

Gas station worker Naqqash Chaudhry told WABC, "I have no doubt in my mind that car would have been hit and those kids would have been injured."

The security footage shows the children's mother initially giving chase, but falling to the ground. The car then rolled over her leg. Cincotta jumped into the car and stopped it.

Cincotta told WABC that he hasn't talked to the mother since the incident last month, but that she did thank him profusely. "She gave me a big hug. She was crying, 'Thank you, thank you, thank you.'"

Despite the car having rolled over her leg, the mother reportedly suffered only minor injuries.

source & video
    • By Hum
      The latest: a study to be published in the journal ?Cancer Cell International."

1. Red wine may promote heart health.

Studies suggest that a compound in red wine called resveratrol may function as an antioxidant, lowering cholesterol levels and staving off blockage in heart vessels. The result: a lower risk of developing diabetes and heart disease.

2. It may reduce men?s risk of developing prostate cancer.

Research published in ?Harvard Men?s Health Watch? found that men who drank an average of four to seven glasses of red wine a week were half as likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer as those who didn?t drink the stuff at all.

3. Drinking a bit of red wine on the regular could keep the blues away.

Last year, a study published in the journal ?BMC Medicine? found that people over 55 who drank a glass of alcohol a day were less likely to be depressed than those who drank more or less. One possible explanation: resveratrol may have neuroprotective properties.

4. Even if you eat a ton, red wine might add years to your life.

A 2006 Harvard study found that mice on a high-calorie diet lived longer when they consumed resveratrol. (This one?s like having your cake and eating it, too.)

5. It goes so well with your food.

The Mediterranean Diet, which experts say is one of the healthiest out there, is all about drinking a glass of red wine with dinner every night.

more