Girl Sues Parents For College Tuition . . . and Wins!

Cool stuff, ruin a relationship with your family for $16,000 a year.

Education is essential to a competitive economy and should be provided by the government. Countries like Scotland and Germany provide free university level education, so it's a perfectly feasible system. England doesn't and uses a student loan system, one which barely breaks even and in which 85% of people will never pay it back - it's simply a bad system.

To me it is ludicrous that individuals should be saddled up with massive debts in the hope that they'll get a job that might be able to pay it off. Education, like healthcare and the criminal justice system, shouldn't be a profit making venture.

I share the sentiment that education underpins and should be at the forefront of what a society values but in reality I don't think it has to be a binary outcome between the States where its very expensive and cost prohibitive to increasing amounts of the population or other countries where its outright free.  There are middle grounds.  Australia has a two pronged approach 1) universities are partially regulated so they can't charge an arm and a leg 2) its a subsidised loan based system so interest is only charged at cpi, and repayments only kick in once your income reaches X amount and even then the repayments are only a small% of your wages. 

To the actual case I think its pretty ridiculous, lets hope future employers don't google her because 1) someone who sues their own parents is likely to sue you for looking the wrong way at them 2) I would rather higher someone who worked for or stood on their own two feet than someone who disagreed with their parents, moved out then turns around and shakes them down.

I hope any time she applies for a job that the HR people Bing her name and this comes up and they throw her resume in the trash.

The judgement or the reasons behind it aside we are talking to me anyway, about an over 18 ergo an adult.I think College is an optional education, yes it help in life if one has qualifications but no parent be they living with the young adult or not should be forced to pay for their optional education.Additionally to me it could be used as a cop out by the young adult to stay off the employment ladder.

A great many careers are Associate Degree programs, 2 years. There's also a move in the direction of shorter programs for skilled trades.

Not true and all three hospitals in my area just announced they will only hire 4 year nurse's and respiratory therapist and recommended only hiring doctorate level nurse practioners instead of masters level. Same happen to the physical therapist. The cheapest instate tuition at a 4 year university in my state is $28,000 a year for tuition alone. Leaving state as a Dependant student is not an option as they'll use your parents residency status and you'll pay $30,000 anyway in another state. Your parents have an obligation to help with college and the disdain for higher education in America is a reflection of its enormous cost and our failer in education levels compared to the rest of the western world.

No parent should be forced to pay for college.

It is not a necessity of life.

If you want college, go work for it.

Exactly, in the USA you are guaranteed an education up to high school. If you want more that is your choice, no one should be forced to pay for something that is legally listed as a choice. Unless you are going to require everyone in this country to go to college, it's a choice. You don't need college to work, heck I don't think I learned anything in college, everything they taught I already knew. I graduated with a 4.0 G.P.A. in my field with out even trying, because I learned computer science before I ever went to college. Only reason I went was to get the darn paper that said I went. If I could of tested out and got a diploma I would of :rofl:  but I could of still done my job without that degree. It was my choice to still go.

No parent should be forced to pay for college.

It is not a necessity of life.

If you want college, go work for it.

How do you work for a 30,000 tuition school without help? You say go somewhere cheaper but in a lot of states their is no cheaper since under 24 your Dependant and your options are limited to your state. You might be able to get a few classes done cheaper at a community college but even under the best of circumstances you'll still need 2 years of university and that in my state at cheapest is 28,000 a year without room board or books.

Exactly, in the USA you are guaranteed an education up to high school. If you want more that is your choice, no one should be forced to pay for something that is legally listed as a choice. Unless you are going to require everyone in this country to go to college, it's a choice. You don't need college to work, heck I don't think I learned anything in college, everything they taught I already knew. I graduated with a 4.0 G.P.A. in my field with out even trying, because I learned computer science before I ever went to college. Only reason I went was to get the darn paper that said I went. If I could of tested out and got a diploma I would of :rofl: but I could of still done my job without that degree. It was my choice to still go.

Good luck getting a networking administration job without that paper in the modern world. Its not a choice unless working for 13 an hour is an option to feed your family.

Are you not putting the cart before the Horse in looking for Parents to pay because its a large amount rather than that the institutions should either be lower or the student should be able to get a low rate loan to pay for the education if needed?

Like I said at that age in the UK at least you are considered an adult so why would a parent be in any way responsible after that age for your education.

Are you not putting the cart before the Horse in looking for Parents to pay because its a large amount rather than that the institutions should either be lower or the student should be able to get a low rate loan to pay for the education if needed?

Like I said at that age in the UK at least you are considered an adult so why would a parent be in any way responsible after that age for your education.

It should be cheap enough that they shouldn't have to help much at all, but the us government counts their income agsisnt yours till your 24 and that keeps many people out of college until then.

Not true and all three hospitals in my area just announced they will only hire 4 year nurse's and respiratory therapist and recommended only hiring doctorate level nurse practioners instead of masters level.

>

Did I limit my comment to medicine? NO, you just pulled that out if thin air (or elsewhere) to have something to be contrary about. As usual.

Read, Grasshopper, and some are well paid medical.

23 High-Paying Jobs That You Can Get With An Associate's Degree

http://www.businessinsider.com/high-paying-jobs-with-associates-degree-2013-12?op=1

Did I limit my comment to medicine? NO, you just pulled that out if thin air (or elsewhere) to have something to be contrary about. As usual.

Read, Grasshopper, and some are well paid medical.

http://www.businessinsider.com/high-paying-jobs-with-associates-degree-2013-12?op=1

Over half your own list is medicene related and the trend is towards 4 year degrees. Things are changing you can be a nurse with 2 years but over half of everywhere won't hire without a bsn and is the trend continues that number will be close to 90% in a decade.

I honestly feel that if they are still living in your home, pay it. If they have moved out, for whatever reasons and have been supporting themselves, it's all on them.

I don't know. Just how I feel. If I had full means to help, then I doubt I'd give a crap as long as they were always a respectful person and never spoiled.

Nope. No way. You've got that way backward. If your kids have moved out, they might need your help. If they still live at home, they don't need your help. You're already paying for their housing and utilities if they live at home, and maybe even food.

Your policy guarantees that they will never leave home. Why leave home if it means having to pay bills and tuition?

How do you work for a 30,000 tuition school without help? You say go somewhere cheaper but in a lot of states their is no cheaper since under 24 your Dependant and your options are limited to your state. You might be able to get a few classes done cheaper at a community college but even under the best of circumstances you'll still need 2 years of university and that in my state at cheapest is 28,000 a year without room board or books.

The cheapest is $28,000/year for the tuition alone? What state is that?

LSU only costs $8,758/year for tuition.

Still negates your "false", which means none, and you ignore the growing apprenticeship movement in the US. .

No it doesn't you haven't added job availability into the equation go try to get hired as a engineer without a 4 year degree and tell me how well you do. While high paying jobs with an associate degree are possible it is NOT the trend

To me it is ludicrous that individuals should be saddled up with massive debts in the hope that they'll get a job that might be able to pay it off. Education, like healthcare and the criminal justice system, shouldn't be a profit making venture.

That's because in US, all the good and recognizable Universities are private (there might be exceptions). In my country the public ones are incredible good and in some areas, the best in the field. We also have public only Medicine Universities as well.

I don't oppose private education, what i oppose is the lack of standards, excellence and quality that either private or public education sometimes shows.

Nope. No way. You've got that way backward. If your kids have moved out, they might need your help. If they still live at home, they don't need your help. You're already paying for their housing and utilities if they live at home, and maybe even food.

Your policy guarantees that they will never leave home. Why leave home if it means having to pay bills and tuition?

The cheapest is $28,000/year for the tuition alone? What state is that?

LSU only costs $8,758/year for tuition.

That is my bad I realized I accidently included room and board that said it is part of the expense of college especially with no job experience. Tuition alone is 11,5000 plus fees for the cheapest university with full program offerings. Even so they might not have the program for your career and then your forced to change career paths or colleges.

Just to put a balance on this the English Colleges have now upped there charge to around ?9000/year [this was the maximum amount allowed by government] whereas the Scottish Colleges are still fee free.

Students can get a Government low interest loan which I think they only start paying back when earning over ?16K

Just to put a balance on this the English Colleges have now upped there charge to around ?9000/year [this was the maximum amount allowed by government] whereas the Scottish Colleges are still fee free.

Students can get a Government low interest loan which I think they only start paying back when earning over ?16K

Out of curiosity what is room and board? Does that price include fees? Books? Or just tuition?

Just tuition i have no info on board but a quick Google suggests around ?100/week this said some students are at home.

So about 1600 a semester, and it looks like you can get help with it. Your loan system makes more sense than ours and doesn't exclude children whose parents refuse to help. If your under 24 (considered Dependant) you can only borrow 5,500 in gov student loans and private loans will require a cosigner so you literally can't cover the tuition unless your parents are either extremely poor or help you. Low end middle class students get screwed.

I honestly feel that if they are still living in your home, pay it. If they have moved out, for whatever reasons and have been supporting themselves, it's all on them.

I don't know. Just how I feel. If I had full means to help, then I doubt I'd give a crap as long as they were always a respectful person and never spoiled.

Only way I'd pay for my kids tuition is if they lived at home.

1. Live at home, go to college

2. No college? Move out and support yourself

3. Join the military

They can pick one of those options.

Only way I'd pay for my kids tuition is if they lived at home.

1. Live at home, go to college

2. No college? Move out and support yourself

3. Join the military

They can pick one of those options.

I agree with this.

As do I, however in our region we have several community colleges offering 40-55 certificate and AD programs and those are growing - not shrinking.

There are far more opportunities there than you think, and I know more than a few BA and Masters holders going to such programs for retraining in unrelated skills. Better that than flip burgers.

As do I, however in our region we have several community colleges offering 40-55 certificate and AD programs and those are growing - not shrinking.

There are far more opportunities there than you think, and I know more than a few BA and Masters holders going to such programs for retraining in unrelated skills. Better that than flip burgers.

You might want to look at the programs offered and job placement in trained for field 1 year after graduation for those associate degrees. My first degree got me squat , but I was young naive and promised it would lead to a career by my advisors. Theirs more community colleges and less jobs for the graduates. Most are becoming popular due to being cheap prep to cover the first year or so of university courses.

Hey if we are going to use the excuse education is vital past high school and shouldn't be for profit, maybe we should also start saying that all universities are considered equal and anyone can get in too because you can't give someone a better education then another right that would be unfair? Oh heck I'd go to Harvard!