Neowin.net PC Game Giveaways and Freebies

• 4 weeks later...
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Darn, I missed it. Oh well, been busy lately, with my family and whatnot. Maybe next time. (que sad trombone) ?

• 2 weeks later...
MightyJordan

If you happened to miss the starter edition of For Honor being given away for free on Uplay earlier in the year, then good news: it's currently free on Steam!

• Like 1
Obi-Wan Kenobi
20 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

If you happened to miss the starter edition of For Honor being given away for free on Uplay earlier in the year, then good news: it's currently free on Steam!

Caught that one on the front page. Thanks, MightyJordan! (Y)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
MightyJordan

One - or really nine - for the DRM-free fans: http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/178092016314/its-that-time-again-free-drm-free-games-for-a

• Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
  • LIMBO
  • Uurnog
  • Fortune 499
  • Tiny Echo
  • Cat Girl Without Salad
  • Drawkanoid
  • Thorn
  • Crescent Bay

All free until tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
Sszecret

I have two Steam keys:

Layers of Fear (in case folks didn't get it when it was free)

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

Nick H.
1 hour ago, Sszecret said:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

Ah, SimCity 4...probably the last decent SimCity they made, and that was...16 years ago?!

• Like 1
Sszecret
15 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Ah, SimCity 4...probably the last decent SimCity they made, and that was...16 years ago?!

Yeah, nearly 16. Regular one was released in January 2003, the Deluxe Edition a few months later in September.

Having played nearly all of them - yes, even Societies - except the 2013 reboot, yeah, I'd have to agree. I've tried others, but I think SC4 is the one I've played the longest of any game. There were some nice things in SC2013, like the tilt-shift effect, the general upgrade in graphics fidelity, those mega tower structures, and so on, but the horrendously restrictive city sizes and the always online thing were a bit much.

The annoying thing about the reboot was that pretty much the same team behind SC4 made this one, but EA was going to EA, so that's what screwed them in the end.

Brandon H
25 minutes ago, Sszecret said:

Yeah, nearly 16. Regular one was released in January 2003, the Deluxe Edition a few months later in September.

Having played nearly all of them - yes, even Societies - except the 2013 reboot, yeah, I'd have to agree. I've tried others, but I think SC4 is the one I've played the longest of any game. There were some nice things in SC2013, like the tilt-shift effect, the general upgrade in graphics fidelity, those mega tower structures, and so on, but the horrendously restrictive city sizes and the always online thing were a bit much.

The annoying thing about the reboot was that pretty much the same team behind SC4 made this one, but EA was going to EA, so that's what screwed them in the end.

the always online is what killed it for many people; there wasn't much online social interaction so it didn't make much sense

What's funny is a different developer pulled off a style quite similar and their game is still going pretty strong. I'm talking about Cities: Skylines :yes:

• Like 1
Nick H.
13 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

What's funny is a different developer pulled off a style quite similar and their game is still going pretty strong. I'm talking about Cities: Skylines :yes:

I got it in a Steam sale some time ago, but my available time for gaming meant I could never really get involved with it. Maybe I'll try and set a couple of hours aside this weekend to get past the tutorial stages. Once past there I can just drop in every so often and build the city up over however long I need.

Arceles
2 hours ago, Sszecret said:

I have two Steam keys:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

I would kindly ask for the SimCity 4 Deluxe one, I've always wanted to try one simcity game but never really knew where to start and this looks like a good one.

atcapistrano

I have two Steam keys:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

i'll have any extra not yet taken by someone else. ;)

Sszecret

I have two Steam keys:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

Well, that was fast. Nothing else left for now. :)

Brandon H

I still play my copy of SimCity 4 Deluxe every now and then. Was surprised back in the day that Steam allowed me to add my physical copy to my library by importing the key :)

The disc had gotten too scratched up so it was nice to be able to do that and install from Steams servers. Now I can install it whenever :)

atcapistrano

thanks, @Sszecret . fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the point of view), it appears I already own the game from a previous giveaway. kindly give it to someone else who wants it.

Sszecret
9 minutes ago, atcapistrano said:

thanks, @Sszecret . fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the point of view), it appears I already own the game from a previous giveaway. kindly give it to someone else who wants it.

Ah, not a problem.

Whoever wants a Layers of Fear Steam key, feel free to request it.

xendrome
5 minutes ago, Sszecret said:

Ah, not a problem.

Whoever wants a Layers of Fear Steam key, feel free to request it.

I'd take it for a friend of mine if you still have it.

Sszecret
12 minutes ago, xendrome said:

I'd take it for a friend of mine if you still have it.

Check thy DMs. :)

Ok folks, don't have any other keys for now, but I'll double check to see if there's anything else I can find.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LoneWolfSL
      Weekend PC Game Deals: Bundle and free event flood gates open up
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Weekend PC Game Deals is where the hottest gaming deals from all over the internet are gathered into one place, every week, for your consumption. So kick back, relax, and hold on to your wallets.

Humble is out in full force this weekend with several gaming bundles surfacing. The new Humble Tales of Love & Adventure Bundle is what we are starting with, a four-tiered, seven-item collection.

Picking up the $1 tier lets you claim Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack, followed by Telltale Batman Shadows Edition, Reventure, Neo Cab, and Half Past Fate in the average price tier, which is currently around $8.30. The $12 third tier adds on HIVESWAP: Act 2 and Blacksad: Under the Skin, while putting down $15 tops up the bundle with a copy of Indivisble.

Next up is the Humble Stardock Wayfarers Bundle, and it offers Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes in its $1 starting tier. Bumping up to the current average price (around $8.60) adds three more games to the pile, them being Siege of Centauri, Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation, and The Political Machine 2020. Lastly, Star Control: Origins Galactic Edition, Offworld Trading Company as well as its Jupiter's Forge and Limited Supply DLC packs arrive with the $12 tier.

The store did not stop there, as a build-your-own-bundle promotion is also now active for quite a few Paradox Interactive games and expansions. Games you can grab include Surviving Mars, Age of Wonders Planetfall, Cities: Skylines, Battletech, Shadowrun Trilogy, Imperator Rome, and much more. The overall discount goes up the more games you add to the cart. Don't forget that last weeks' BundleFest promotions from Fanatical are still online too.

The freebie slot of the Epic Games Store was refreshed right on schedule, and to replace Absolute Drift and Rage 2 arrived Sunless Sea.

This is a top-down survival RPG with a focus on storytelling and exploration where you are in control of a steamship journeying across a dangerous and vast underground ocean. Alongside combatting sea monsters, you get to make vital decisions in your travels to progress the story.

You may add Sunless Sea to your Epic Games Store library for free until March 4, and coming in as the next freebie on that same date is the RTS title Wargame: Red Dragon.

Free Events

Quite a number of games from a variety of genres have begun free events this weekend, letting you try out the full experience for a few days.

Starting off, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War's multiplayer and the new Outbreak zombie mode are free to try out until March 4 via the Blizzard Battle.net app. Meanwhile, Ubisoft is hosting a free weekend for its popular city builder Anno 1800 via its Connect (Uplay) client.

Deep Rock Galactic and Dying Light have also received free events on Steam. The former is a cooperative action game involving dwarves that mine deep into planets in search of riches, while the latter is an open-world zombie experience with a story campaign, parkour movement, and co-op play.

The free-to-play train this weekend also welcomes the extreme downhill cycling game Descenders, the digital board games Through the Ages and Galaxy Trucker: Extended Edition, as well as the cooperative guessing card game Similo.

Big Deals
      With the beginning of the weekend arrives a wide selection of discounted games to peruse and we have our handpicked list down below:

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War – $39.99 on Battle.net PGA TOUR 2K21 – $29.99 on Steam Anno 1800 – $27.59 on Fanatical Fantasy General II – $19.59 on Steam Deep Rock Galactic – $19.49 on Steam Breathedge – $18.74 on Steam SUPERHOT One of Us Bundle – $16.98 on Steam UnderMine – $14.99 on Steam Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts – $14.99 on Steam Batman: Arkham Collection – $14.99 on Humble Store CODE VEIN – $13.99 on GamesPlanet The Surge 1 & 2 - Dual Pack – $13.99 on Humble Store Unforeseen Incidents – $13.39 on Steam Anno 2205 Ultimate Edition – $12.49 on Steam Descenders – $12.49 on Steam BioShock: The Collection – $11.99 on Steam THE LONGING – $11.99 on Steam Moss VR – $11.99 on Steam Void Bastards – $11.99 on Humble Store Foxhole - Early Access – $10.99 on Steam Dying Light – $10.48 on GameBillet Frostpunk – $10.19 on Steam Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines – $9.99 on Steam CrossCode – $9.99 on Steam Intruder - Early Access – $9.99 on Steam Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War – $9.59 on Steam Just Cause Collection – $9.56 on Humble Store A Way Out – $8.99 on Steam Guns, Gore and Cannoli 2 – $8.7 on Steam Flatout Complete Pack – $7.99 on Steam Arma 3 – $7.49 on Steam Stardew Valley – $7.49 on Steam Unravel Yarny Bundle – $7.48 on Steam Sea of Solitude – $5.99 on Steam Distant Worlds – $5.99 on Steam Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun – $5.99 on Humble Store Fe – $4.99 on Steam APE OUT – $4.94 on Steam Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead – $3.99 on Steam Caesar 3 – $3.89 on Steam Pharaoh + Cleopatra – $3.29 on Steam BADLAND: Game of the Year Edition – $0.99 on Steam Black Desert Online – $0 on Steam Sunless Sea – $0 on Epic Store DRM-free Goodness
      DRM-less game deals are here in force this weekend too, and GOG's latest specials are focused on adventures you can tackle in just one day. Find the latest highlights below, :

The Outer Worlds - $29.99 on GOG Pathologic 2 - $17.49 on GOG Planet Nomads - $14.99 on GOG BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - $12.99 on GOG Creaks - $11.99 on GOG Duskers - $9.99 on GOG West of Loathing - $7.69 on GOG FAR: Lone Sails - $7.49 on GOG Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - $7.49 on GOG Thea: The Awakening - $6.99 on GOG S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - $5.99 on GOG S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat - $5.99 on GOG Pyre - $5.99 on GOG Alan Wake - $5.24 on GOG Darkwood - $5.09 on GOG Sir, You Are Being Hunted - $4.99 on GOG Metro: Last Light Redux - $4.99 on GOG Samorost 3 - $4.99 on GOG Machinarium Collector's Edition - $3.74 on GOG STAR WARS Battlefront II (Classic) - $3.49 on GOG STASIS - $2.99 on GOG Outlast - $2.99 on GOG Transistor - $2.99 on GOG Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - $2.99 on GOG Don't Starve - $2.49 on GOG The Suffering - $2.49 on GOG Botanicula - $2.49 on GOG Bastion - $2.24 on GOG Pathologic Classic HD - $1.29 on GOG Samorost 2 - $1.24 on GOG Keep in mind that availability and pricing for some deals may vary depending on the region you're in.

And that is it for our pick of this weekend's PC game deals folks, and hopefully, some of you have enough self-restraint to not add even more games to your growing backlogs. Of course, there is an enormous amount of other deals waiting all over the internet if you comb through it hard enough, so keep your eyes open for those, and have a wonderful weekend.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Terraria for Google Stadia is back in development
      by Usama Jawad

Terraria is an extremely popular sandbox title which many refer to as the "2D version of Minecraft". While the title has been in development for release on Google Stadia for some time, it was revealed earlier this month that the project is canceled following a very public spat on Twitter involving Andrew "Redigit" Spinks, founder of Terraria developer Re-Logic. Spinks announced that Re-Logic is ceasing development on the Stadia release because Google has disabled its developer accounts with no prior warning and is doing nothing to address the issue.

However, Stadia users will be pleased to know that the problem has now been resolved and Terraria is back in development.

Spinks had previously claimed that the locked account had never violated any terms of service but now all data linked to the account had been lost, including that on Google Drive. The executive went on to say that says he will no longer support any of Google's platforms, adding that "doing business with you is a liability".

However, it appears that Google has resolved these issues and reached an agreement with Re-Logic. In a recent forum update, Re-Logic stated that:

The news that Terraria is back on track will likely be welcomed by Stadia players. The platform has had a rough time with Google shutting down its Games & Entertainment division. The move gave the impression of decreased confidence in Stadia's viability, with the platform now dependent on third-party support for development of games. That said, Google has confirmed that it is tracking the development of over 100 games scheduled to release on Stadia in 2021.

• By Usama Jawad96
      The PlayStation Network is down for certain games
      by Usama Jawad

Microsoft's Xbox Live service had an outage yesterday, resulting in gamers facing problems in connecting to it. This caused failed purchases, inability to sign in for some users, issues in launching certain games, and unavailability of xCloud gaming. While Microsoft was able to resolve the problem in six hours, it did admit that the fix took longer than anticipated to apply.

Today, it's the PlayStation Network's turn which appears to be down for several games.

According to Sony's dedicated network service status page, the PlayStation Network is facing issues in the "gaming and social" category. This affects the PlayStation Vita, 3, 4, and 5. The company cautions that:

It's unclear exactly how widespread the problem is, but the status appears to be the same across most regions including the US, UK, and Canada. Engadget reports that while some games like Fortnite and Fall Guys work just fine, players are having issues connecting to others such as Call of Duty: Warzone, Minecraft, Destruction AllStars, and Don't Starve Together.

The issue was officially confirmed by Sony on 6:33PM ET, but earlier reports point to it appearing on 1PM ET, which essentially means that it's been almost 12 hours since the partial outage began. It's currently unclear when a fix will be rolled out, but you can keep an eye on the network service status page for updates in the meantime.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Halo: MCC Insider flight with new Halo 3 maps and more is now live
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

The first Halo: The Master Chief Collection Insider test of the year is now active, bringing forth the recently promised flight for Insiders to test before the content is pushed out to everyone. This latest Insider session, version 1.2159.0.0, is now live for Xbox console players as well as PC players across Steam and Microsoft Store.

Insiders will find Halo 3 and Reach being the testbeds in this flight and 343 Industries is looking for feedback on the new content, the biggest of which is easily the two fresh maps hitting Halo 3. Titled Waterfall and Edge, these head over from the now-defunct Halo Online project.

Season 6 cosmetic content and community requested features such as mouse and keyboard and field of view sliders support for all Xbox consoles, double keybindings, view model customization, and more are being tested in this flight as well. Meanwhile, the highly-anticipated custom server browser is scheduled to be added via an update later on as the flight continues.

Invited Insiders can head to their dedicated Halo Insider portal and find the complete patch notes as well as get instructions on how to install and join the February flight sessions across all platforms. This session is currently slated to run through March 8 though extensions are a common sight.

• By indospot
      Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl bring new visuals to the DS games
      by João Carrasqueira

During today's Pokémon Presents event, The Pokémon Company introduced a brand-new adventure and gameplay style in Pokémon Legends: Arceus, but those looking for a trip down nostalgia lane, it also introduced the long-awaited remakes of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.

Called Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, the new games try to breathe new life into the titles originally released on the Nintendo DS in 2006 in Japan (2007 worldwide). However, unlike prior remakes in the franchise, these don't bring the original games to the same level as the current main series games - Pokémon Sword and Shield. Instead, these remakes focus on retaining the feel of the original titles, obviously upgrading the graphics and visuals to make use of the much more powerful hardware of the Nintendo Switch.

As such, the titles retain the fixed camera with a top-down view, but now use 3D for the entire game world and the battles, which were still in 2D on the original. They also appear to offer more freeform movement compared to the grid-based style of the games they're based on. From the footage shown, the game looks exactly like you'd imagine them to based on that description. In fact, no other differences were mentioned during the reveal, though typically remakes like this have incorporated some elements of the third game in each generation, which in this case would be Pokémon Platinum.

Interestingly, the titles are being developed outside by an external studio, ILCA. The Japanese studio had helped develop the Pokémon HOME app for Nintendo Switch and mobile devices, and this is the first time it's developing an actual Pokémon game. Presumably, resources at Game Freak are focused on developing Pokémon Legends: Arceus.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are coming to the Nintendo Switch in late 2021, though a more concrete date is still unknown.