Neowin.net PC Game Giveaways and Freebies

• 4 weeks later...

Darn, I missed it. Oh well, been busy lately, with my family and whatnot. Maybe next time. (que sad trombone) ?

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

If you happened to miss the starter edition of For Honor being given away for free on Uplay earlier in the year, then good news: it's currently free on Steam!

Caught that one on the front page. Thanks, MightyJordan! (Y)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One - or really nine - for the DRM-free fans: http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/178092016314/its-that-time-again-free-drm-free-games-for-a

• Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
  • LIMBO
  • Uurnog
  • Fortune 499
  • Tiny Echo
  • Cat Girl Without Salad
  • Drawkanoid
  • Thorn
  • Crescent Bay

All free until tomorrow.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I have two Steam keys:

Layers of Fear (in case folks didn't get it when it was free)

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

1 hour ago, Sszecret said:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

Ah, SimCity 4...probably the last decent SimCity they made, and that was...16 years ago?!

15 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Ah, SimCity 4...probably the last decent SimCity they made, and that was...16 years ago?!

Yeah, nearly 16. Regular one was released in January 2003, the Deluxe Edition a few months later in September.

Having played nearly all of them - yes, even Societies - except the 2013 reboot, yeah, I'd have to agree. I've tried others, but I think SC4 is the one I've played the longest of any game. There were some nice things in SC2013, like the tilt-shift effect, the general upgrade in graphics fidelity, those mega tower structures, and so on, but the horrendously restrictive city sizes and the always online thing were a bit much.

The annoying thing about the reboot was that pretty much the same team behind SC4 made this one, but EA was going to EA, so that's what screwed them in the end.

25 minutes ago, Sszecret said:

Yeah, nearly 16. Regular one was released in January 2003, the Deluxe Edition a few months later in September.

Having played nearly all of them - yes, even Societies - except the 2013 reboot, yeah, I'd have to agree. I've tried others, but I think SC4 is the one I've played the longest of any game. There were some nice things in SC2013, like the tilt-shift effect, the general upgrade in graphics fidelity, those mega tower structures, and so on, but the horrendously restrictive city sizes and the always online thing were a bit much.

The annoying thing about the reboot was that pretty much the same team behind SC4 made this one, but EA was going to EA, so that's what screwed them in the end.

the always online is what killed it for many people; there wasn't much online social interaction so it didn't make much sense

What's funny is a different developer pulled off a style quite similar and their game is still going pretty strong. I'm talking about Cities: Skylines :yes:

13 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

What's funny is a different developer pulled off a style quite similar and their game is still going pretty strong. I'm talking about Cities: Skylines :yes:

I got it in a Steam sale some time ago, but my available time for gaming meant I could never really get involved with it. Maybe I'll try and set a couple of hours aside this weekend to get past the tutorial stages. Once past there I can just drop in every so often and build the city up over however long I need.

2 hours ago, Sszecret said:

I have two Steam keys:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

I would kindly ask for the SimCity 4 Deluxe one, I've always wanted to try one simcity game but never really knew where to start and this looks like a good one.

I have two Steam keys:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

i'll have any extra not yet taken by someone else. ;)

I have two Steam keys:

SimCity 4 Deluxe 

Well, that was fast. Nothing else left for now. :)

I still play my copy of SimCity 4 Deluxe every now and then. Was surprised back in the day that Steam allowed me to add my physical copy to my library by importing the key :)

The disc had gotten too scratched up so it was nice to be able to do that and install from Steams servers. Now I can install it whenever :)

thanks, @Sszecret . fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the point of view), it appears I already own the game from a previous giveaway. kindly give it to someone else who wants it.

9 minutes ago, atcapistrano said:

thanks, @Sszecret . fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the point of view), it appears I already own the game from a previous giveaway. kindly give it to someone else who wants it.

Ah, not a problem.

Whoever wants a Layers of Fear Steam key, feel free to request it.

5 minutes ago, Sszecret said:

Ah, not a problem.

Whoever wants a Layers of Fear Steam key, feel free to request it.

I'd take it for a friend of mine if you still have it.

12 minutes ago, xendrome said:

I'd take it for a friend of mine if you still have it.

Check thy DMs. :)

Ok folks, don't have any other keys for now, but I'll double check to see if there's anything else I can find.