I've given up on Windows Phone - Tom Warren

1. The Metro Tile UI is ugly and pigeonholes users into a specific workflow.

I haven't really used WP, but one issue I see with the specific implementation of the tiles is that due to the vertical scrolling and lack of folders, it seems like I could rarely rely on an app's tile always appearing at the same position. On iOS I've come to rely on muscle memory for hitting spots where I expect an app or a folder to be. For example, as soon as I've touched a folder, my finger already moves into position to hit the spot where I can expect the app icon to appear. I've usually hit the app icon even before the folder opening animation is finished and the icon has settled into its final position.  I'm currently down to 89 apps on my phone (from ~200) and for most of them I'd be able to launch them almost without looking at the screen, just like I don't need to look at my keyboard anymore to make sure I hit the right keys. To illustrate my point:

post-5569-0-85966900-1418383363.jpg

I think Microsoft needs Ballmer to be the head of the Windows Phone division, at least he knew what they need it...

i guess people didn't get the "developers! developers!" quote :|

another reason hipsters shoudn't code. they get bored with stuff easy and succumb to fads and crap... look at google and what they are pulling now. they change stuff with youtube every hour, they add/remove features constantly, and they think in the worst ways with android lately. getting rid of battery stats and you now gotta root to have that because some yuppies are embarrased at having 18% or lower battery.... crap like that. the material design looks hideous and screams yuppie with all these garish colors and a UI that is fit for a toddler.

hipsters with normcore=skeomorphism returning. gross, garish, and needs to die.

metro make more sense, friendly, to the point, and not pretentious.

:D Oh dear, that logic of yours is so precise and flawless.... /s

People seem to think that someone's opinion about a platform is an attack on the platform, or yourself for using the said platform.  Touchy comments....

All the 3 main players in the Mobile world play off each other and would not be where they are at, and possibly not exist, with out one another.  Whether it be mobile or the PC market.  And no one is forcing you to use Android, WP, or iOS.  Maybe if people stopped less about saying negative things and concentrate more on what they like, WP would be doing much better now. 

Anyway, app issues aside, the main thing I never liked and got used to were the tiles.  I like a clean home screen look on my devices and sorry, the tiles just makes it look like a cluttered mess.  This is IMO and no one has to like it and really, I dont care if you dont like it.  The other aspects of Metro, whatever.  Really no complaints.  I have a WP at home, and use a Surface everyday at work.  They are vary capable devices but again, I just dont like the tiles.  At least on the Surfaces, I can do things so I dont see them very often.

I haven't really used WP, but one issue I see with the specific implementation of the tiles is that due to the vertical scrolling and lack of folders, it seems like I could rarely rely on an app's tile always appearing at the same position. On iOS I've come to rely on muscle memory for hitting spots where I expect an app or a folder to be. For example, as soon as I've touched a folder, my finger already moves into position to hit the spot where I can expect the app icon to appear. I've usually hit the app icon even before the folder opening animation is finished and the icon has settled into its final position.  I'm currently down to 89 apps on my phone (from ~200) and for most of them I'd be able to launch them almost without looking at the screen, just like I don't need to look at my keyboard anymore to make sure I hit the right keys. To illustrate my point:

attachicon.gifgrid.jpg

Er... you are aware that WP does have folders, right?

What do you mean getting rid of the battery stats?

Other apps no longer have access to stuff like battery life, wakelocks etc..

So wakelock detector doesn't work on non root

I dont have a problem with apps on my phone the biggest problem is that Verizon doesnt care about Windows Phone so they are holding up the updates for the phones. 

That's why I've bypassed Verizon and installed the Preview for Developers.

Here are the main problems with Windows Phone in my opinion:

1. The Metro Tile UI is ugly and pigeonholes users into a specific workflow.

2. Lack of customisation. Coming from Android, the OS seems very rigid and bereft of options.

3. Built-in apps are poor quality compared to iOS and Android.

4. No side-loading, file system access, or debug bridge.

5. Paucity of quality official apps. And even the ones that are present are often left to rot (zombie apps) or have limited functionality. Local/country based apps are practically non-existent.

6. Where's the diversity of mid-high range models? Although Microsoft has flooded the low-end market by selling its Lumia line at a loss, flagship devices are conspicuously absent. The only choices are Microsoft's Lumia 1520 or HTC's recycled-Android-hardware like the M8 (No doubt the result of significant financial incentives from Redmond).

7. Slow and unexciting upgrades. There's always something cool and innovative coming from the Android and iOS camps. Conversely, WP updates seem underwhelming.

The platform has improved, that's indisputable, but it's nowhere near good enough for people familiar with the advantages of Android and iOS.

I agree with some of what you're saying but,

1. Don't all mobile OSes pretty much do this? I mean, iOS is just a static grid of icons. Android has a bit more flexibility at least, but the "workflow" remains largely the same.

2. I can see how you would feel that way if you're not a fan of the tiles. The live tiles pretty much are the extent of customization in Windows Phone. The lock screens are pretty decent though.

3. The built in apps aren't that bad except maybe the calendar. The set of MSN apps are pretty good, at least in the US. Everything else is pretty standard fare. Settings app really needs to be better organized.

4. Not by default but I believe you can do this with a developer account if you're interested. I haven't tried.

5, 6. No argument with you there. Not sure what their strategy is with the high end phones or lack thereof. Maybe building market share with low end? But I think they need something great at the high end to get people (especially developers) excited about the platform. There hasn't been anything great at the high end for WP in over a year now.

7. Seems like most of the updates are catch ups, so nothing really "new" to get excited about. iOS was awfully far behind at one point too, but Windows Phone users are always waiting for the next version to solve their problems. I think the only really exciting thing right now is Cortana, so if that doesn't interest you then 8.1 is going to be pretty boring.

I would probably be using Android myself if it wasn't locked in to Google. If they had something where I could use Android without a Google account and still get access to an extensive app store, I might be interested.

Er... you are aware that WP does have folders, right?

Thanks. You're right. At the moment of writing, I sort of forgot that it recently gained that capability. I think my point still stands that both the folder icon/tile as well as the folder contents can not necessarily be expected to consistently appear at the same screen coordinates? WP's folder implementation seems more similar to iOS 6 than iOS 7 in that respect. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks. You're right. At the moment of writing, I sort of forgot that it recently gained that capability. I think my point still stands that both the folder icon/tile as well as the folder contents can not necessarily be expected to consistently appear at the same screen coordinates? WP's folder implementation seems more similar to iOS 6 than iOS 7 in that respect. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

No problem. But, yes... if you tap a folder it will open up and all of the tiles for your apps will be in the same spot each time. They won't arbitrarily move around. You'd have to rearrange them. For me, I can give my start screen a flick and stop it almost precisely where I need to. I do have all of my apps grouped into sections. That helps.

The only time a tile on my 1520 screen moves is when I move it. The screen is totally under my control.

Now the All Apps list is mutable, but alphabetized and in-line. Its a lot easier to find things in than the Android app drawer IMO.

Thanks for reminding me about the folders function - I've been meaning to give it a try. Although I don't have that many apps installed on my phone - its mainly for communication, and my tablet is my main mobile computer.

I think MS must take control over the OS Update, and dont let carriers decide whether a device will or wont receive an update just the way apple does and how Google is trying to do now. And as for the apps is about revenue for devs...

Just my two cents

I don't see how this is microsoft's fault.

Who else is to blame? It's Microsoft's OS, ultimately responsibility for failure rests solely with them.

hopefully with the merger of windows phone and desktop the apps will get better.

I wouldn't count on it. The desktop apps are even worse than mobile. Windows 10 will represent a tiny proportion of PC's, not the billions Microsoft claims developers will have access to.

Who else is to blame? It's Microsoft's OS, ultimately responsibility for failure rests solely with them.

I wouldn't count on it. The desktop apps are even worse than mobile. Windows 10 will represent a tiny proportion of PC's, not the billions Microsoft claims developers will have access to.

Ugh, no. Microsoft has no control over carriers.

And yes, over its lifespan, Windows 10 will open the platform up considerably.

It doesn't help that they have done things that don't really get developers excited about the platform. People still disagree, but I feel that the WP7 to WP8 split really harmed the WP ecosystem. It broke a lot of the promises MS made to the developers and users regarding fragmentation. They spent a lot i the WP8 era courting big name developers to port over major apps, but the problem is they needed to convince smaller upstarts to bring their new big apps to WP first. They failed here and you can't hope to gain a foothold when you're begging the companies to include you after they have done the iOS then Android circuit and are looking for a platform to dump on last (where they can get their development efforts paid for).

Microsoft really needs to follow through and they also need to get developers excited and keep them excited.

I agree. I'd probably go out on a limb and also say those WP devs probably went and switched to Android or ios because of those reasons you said above. they have to go somewhere, like water.