Police: Man painted handgun red to resemble toy

f04557d9bd950d30680f6a706700a730.jpg

CINCINNATI (AP) ? Southwest Ohio authorities said Friday they arrested a man with a loaded handgun painted red to resemble a toy.
The arrest came just four days after legislation was introduced in the state to require that lookalike guns be brightly colored or otherwise marked. Ohio lawmakers took up the bill following two police fatal shootings of young people carrying lookalike guns in recent months.

Hamilton County Sheriff Jim Neil said it's "a scary thought" that guns would be painted to mislead police.

Police responding to a call about a man with a gun said they found Orlando Lowery, 23, with a .380-caliber handgun painted red and 9 grams of cocaine. No attorney was listed for Lowery, who was jailed on a concealed weapons charge and a drug count.

The bill, introduced Monday by Rep. Alicia Reece, would require all BB guns, air rifles and airsoft guns stand out in color or have prominent fluorescent strips. The Cincinnati Democrat named the bill after 22-year-old John Crawford III, who was carrying an air rifle this summer in a suburban Dayton Wal-Mart store when he was fatally shot by police. Police said they thought Crawford had an assault rifle. Last month, a 12-year-old boy carrying a pellet gun in Cleveland was fatally shot by police.

The legislation was modeled after a California law. Several other states and cities have similar laws.

Some opponents of the bill have expressed skepticism about whether such measures would be effective in preventing fatal shootings, and some have suggested that criminals would try to disguise weapons to cause police to hesitate.

The sheriff said his office wouldn't get into the debate over the bill, but would provide some facts about the arrest.

"And the fact is right here in Hamilton County, we arrested a dangerous individual who we believe purposefully painted a loaded handgun red to mislead law enforcement into thinking this was a toy gun," Neil said in statement.

Source

Wait, they arrested the guy who had a painted real gun, but still someone managed to kill the others? Why wasn't this guy dropped as they were approaching him on sight like the others?

That ..... is ...... AWSSSSOME!

Haha well yeah, apart from being pretty damn frightening, i have to admit it does look awesome. A lot of thought must have gone in to it too.

Wait, they arrested the guy who had a painted real gun, but still someone managed to kill the others? Why wasn't this guy dropped as they were approaching him on sight like the others?

Because unlike the others, this guy wasn't an idiot, and didn't pull out his toy gun, point it at anyone, etc. and obeyed police commands.

Real or  Toy, a little common sense, combined with going what the police tell you goes a long way to keeping your body bullet hole free.

Haha well yeah, apart from being pretty damn frightening, i have to admit it does look awesome. A lot of thought must have gone in to it too.

Looks like a weapon on Destiny

Because unlike the others, this guy wasn't an idiot, and didn't pull out his toy gun, point it at anyone, etc. and obeyed police commands.

Real or  Toy, a little common sense, combined with going what the police tell you goes a long way to keeping your body bullet hole free.

I agree, but other recent situations show you can be shot on sight before or during commands being issued to you.

Regardless, I only bring it up because it shows that somehow these situations can be solved without a death that can be avoided, and that these officers showed a more proper form of policing, compared to ones that should be punished for their failures to do so.

Not sure why this is news as you can get the weapons like that directly from the manufacture.

Google "purple AR15" to see what is possible.

seems they are marketing colors rifles for women.    a bit silly...       it is like they cannot use black.  

imagine if men only drove black cars and women bright colored.... (wait, that would be not a bad idea at all.... i joke, i joke)

Not sure why this is news as you can get the weapons like that directly from the manufacture.

Google "purple AR15" to see what is possible.

That's different... those are special edition for women such as pink, purple...   those are legal for women for indoor/outdoor shooting ranges.

The ones like the pic in OP, are painted by gun owners ...   which you see paint worn out at the edges all over place in OP's picture.  Which is stupid. 

seems they are marketing colors rifles for women. a bit silly... it is like they cannot use black.

imagine if men only drove black cars and women bright colored.... (wait, that would be not a bad idea at all.... i joke, i joke)

Suits already work like that,it would not be acceptable for me to wear a green or red suit, but woman get all the colors!

My wife's Ruger LC9 (ultra-compact 9mm auto) looks like this,

3205.jpg

and with a bottle of DuraCoat you can color a firearm most any color desired.

This is why those of us who l now more than $0.02 about firearms said officers can't depend on colors if someone pulls out anything that looks like a weapon (mini cordless drill-driver, glue gun, toy, squirt gun....whatever.)

Delays induced by hesitation can be deadly to the officer. Put your hands up and let THEM remove it.