David Cameron wants to ban private message apps such as WhatsApp and Snapchat

It's bull anyway, all the suspects of the paris attacks where known by several intelligence agencies. The fact that they still were able to do what they did has nothing to do with not being able to monitor all communication everywhere in the world. It has to do with failing to follow up on three known extremists.

They were amongst many,many suspects on a very long "watch list" as they were on UK and US no-fly lists and as reported by an official at the time it takes between twenty to twenty five people to keep twenty four hour tabs on just one person.The main worry at this time would be centered around all the fundamentalists coming back from foreign conflicts and continuing their ideology on home soil.

I fundamentally disagree with this. This amounts to saying that if you're using encryption, you're probably a terrorist.

Well... surely if you have any one attribute common with terrorists then you must be one.  Like being muslim (so off topic I know)....

I fundamentally disagree with this. This amounts to saying that if you're using encryption, you're probably a terrorist.

Na. Obviously though, if you're intelligent enough and planning to commit such heinous crimes, you're going to want to keep it hidden.

Well... surely if you have any one attribute common with terrorists then you must be one.  Like being muslim (so off topic I know)....

Anyone to judge you on your choice of religion isn't worth knowing.

I've known people who have made such broad statements before, I merely point out father's Irish, does this make him a terrorist? If they fail to see where I'm coming from and correct their naive view, then I just cut contact from them.

I do feel however that the Muslim community need to engage more and show that these idiots are not apart of their religion. They're just nutcases. Marches, demonstrations and whatnot.

I do feel however that the Muslim community need to engage more and show that these idiots are not apart of their religion. They're just nutcases. Marches, demonstrations and whatnot.

Very much agree with this- don't want to drag this too far off topic.

• Like 1

if DC bans Whatsapp, guess what? Telegram is a full end to end encrypted chat messenger, comes with cross platform clients, has a web client. and the thing has blazing real time message updates. cross plaform. I sit on my pc and text with groups of people on their phones. So yehh, check it out!  https://telegram.org/ *Note WP is supported (your lucky day)* :D

It's bull anyway, all the suspects of the paris attacks where known by several intelligence agencies. The fact that they still were able to do what they did has nothing to do with not being able to monitor all communication everywhere in the world. It has to do with failing to follow up on three known extremists.

The problem is we are not in Minority Report. You can't arrest someone who has not done anything illegal yet even if you think he might do it one day.

I think people should be very careful of what they pray for. If we start to arrest people who vagely promoted violence via some Twitter or Facebook account this could go downhill very fast. Promoting violence is a very very abstract concept. Of course if some people say out loud they gonna kill someone then arrest them. But i've seen far too often content posted online by christian or catholic caucasian that could very well be considered as promoting violence against muslim. Just last week on my facebook wall a dumb "pure laine" qu

The problem is we are not in Minority Report. You can't arrest someone who has not done anything illegal yet even if you think he might do it one day.

I think people should be very careful of what they pray for. If we start to arrest people who vagely promoted violence via some Twitter or Facebook account this could go downhill very fast. Promoting violence is a very very abstract concept. Of course if some people say out loud they gonna kill someone then arrest them. But i've seen far too often content posted online by christian or catholic caucasian that could very well be considered as promoting violence against muslim. Just last week on my facebook wall a dumb "pure laine" qu

I never said they should have been arrested. My point is, if you can't even reliabely know what people who are on several watchlists are planning, than how would tapping the communications of everybody help. If someone wants to blow something up or start a killing spree you can't stop them anyway. Still no reason to give up the liberties of others

Oh then yeah i agree with you.

so any https domain should be banned too? :laugh:

:whistle:

• Like 1

It won't matter which party gets into power in May. The same laws will be passed regardless.

UK looks like a nice "democracy" then. You don't have both right and left political parties?

It won't matter which party gets into power in May. The same laws will be passed regardless.

It will matter if the Green Party / SNP get enough seats to form a coalition with Labour, in which case you could see a very different type of politics.

The main parties need to be voted out - Labour, Conservatives, Lib Dems, they're all useless.

It will matter if the Green Party / SNP get enough seats to form a coalition with Labour, in which case you could see a very different type of politics.

I'm willing to take that bet, are you?

UK looks like a nice "democracy" then. You don't have both right and left political parties?

Right or left are irrelevant. We get the option of voting for puppets every 4 to 5 years but besides that it makes no difference.

You could have a majority of the votes go to a party that campaigns on scrapping or never introducing such a law and a short time after the law gets passed.

May is only a short number of months away. Time will tell.

I'm willing to take that bet, are you?

Sure. If we get a Green - SNP - Labour coalition (any combination) and this law passes you win the bet.

I find his political campaigns regarding technology & communication highly amusing.

Especially since Whitehall and the NHS paid Microsoft a ludicrous amount of money to keep Windows XP support afloat for their IT systems on his watch.

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

• Like 2

I don't know what's more troubling - the fact that this proposed law would not apply to WhatsApp who are not a UK company so not subject to the law here or the fact that "terrorists" have their own encryption systems built from open source (hence India recently blocking Github) which are unlikely to want to build in back doors just for the UK or the fact that people in power believe this **** and then promote it. We are swimming in a sea of ****** idiots - politicians and civil servants alike.

I don't know what's more troubling - the fact that this proposed law would not apply to WhatsApp who are not a UK company so not subject to the law here or the fact that "terrorists" have their own encryption systems built from open source (hence India recently blocking Github) which are unlikely to want to build in back doors just for the UK or the fact that people in power believe this **** and then promote it. We are swimming in a sea of ****** idiots - politicians and civil servants alike.

Well now that Cammorron and obama are best Chums you can expect to see lots of new laws regarding security in your native country be it USA or UK being pushed through in the name of national security.

in the latest 2600 off the hook pod cast they talk about this and the host of the show does call mr cameron a moron for proposing such a thing. 

I can only hope this moron does not get into power.