(Mockup) Windows 10 IT'S BEAUTIFUL!

at this point, I like the settings dialog in the screenshot. what would be awesome is, if MSFT could allow for us to color scheme on our own.

Black and blue, magenta and red.. whatever the user likes.

But I'm liking the color scheme and look of the dialog alot more. My final judgement will be when I can run the RTM version.

I'm not sure they'd switch the date to all caps.

Actually, that desktop background looks really familiar. I'm convinced that I've seen it before in another screenshot mockup for a previous version of Windows.

I think it looks great. I don't have the know-how to say definitively if it looks legit or not. If it's a theme, I'd be interested in running that theme.

As for the search bar, why does it have to be a bar? Hover over the search icon and let the bar slide out just a little, and expand as you type. No need to take up 2-3" of the taskbar all the time. That's sloppy. Unless, of course, you're gonna make it up to the user and put a second bar on top, like some Linux distros have. I'd actually be okay with this, though I'd like it to be configurable.

Let me go out on a limb and say that Metro is not, in and of itself, bad, per se... There is room for improvement. Maybe it needs a total rewrite, but maybe not. My biggest problem is that Metro assumes I'm using a tablet and touching the screen rather than sitting at a desk with a non-touch monitor and using a mouse. Windows 8 didn't care. There's potential, but it's gotta scale.

Speaking of scaling, if only Microsoft could use Kinect technology to tell how close you are to the screen and scale accordingly. I'd love to move to my couch or recliner and have screen elements grow to meet my more distant eyes, and then move back to my desk and have everything shrink again. Maybe it's just a pipe dream, and I'm sure it'll never be a feature of mainstream Windows, but it sure would be nice.

The search bar can be an icon or a bar. You can also completely remove if you don't want to use it.

there still lots of white space, with full white color. Too bright for my eyes.

Yeah, they should fill up that white space with something so it's not just a bunch of wasted space. Maybe fill it with dancing elves or randomly place a Sudoku puzzle in there.

• Like 3

We need confirmation that this is legit or not.  With the reveal being 3 days away it's surprising we haven't had a leak yet, but if that screenshot looks true then I really like it.  

there still lots of white space, with full white color. Too bright for my eyes.

It had lots of white space and full white color in Windows Vista/7/8...

displaysettings.png

Choices are good, of course, but I'd still like to see it scale. Best of both worlds. Best of all three if it hides until you hit F3. Then you start typing, and after the first letter, the icon appears at the end as a 'send' button.

The OS of the future. Gets completely out of your way until you need it. Facilitates near-effortless access to the apps, files and folders, websites, and configuration settings you use most often, followed by those you don't, everything completely searchable.

Really, at this point, I know voice recognition isn't perfect, but I'd love it if your desktop just showed pictures you've taken of your friends, family, vacation, nature, etc., with no interface at all. When you install an application, during the setup process it asks you what you call this app, and to say its name three times. Chrome. Chrome. Chrome. Not hard to do. During Windows setup or setup of your Windows account, you're asked to say a few keywords three times. Launch. Launch. Launch. Find. Find. Find. Not everyone wants to or is in a position to talk to their computer, so it would only be an option. But saying "Launch Chrome" or "Find Google" would be much easier than clicking. Especially if you've just gotten up, you're making your coffee, so you tell your computer, "Launch Chrome. Browse Facebook. New tab, browse Reddit. New tab, browse BBC America." Then when you sit down, your tabs are open and waiting.

You may say I'm a dreamer. But, I'm not the only one.

Damn. It looked so promising :(

I know. Sucks. The builds I have seen basically look like the consumer preview but a little bit tidier. They may be keeping some amazing redesign top secret and not shown anybody out of house but I find that unlikely. Those expecting a huge redesign are going to be disappointed sorry to say.

I know. Sucks. The builds I have seen basically look like the consumer preview but a little bit tidier. They may be keeping some amazing redesign top secret and not shown anybody out of house but I find that unlikely. Those expecting a huge redesign are going to be disappointed sorry to say.

A redesign is coming. Many apps already have a new look in the new builds.

A redesign is coming. Many apps already have a new look in the new builds.

A redesign and a new look are two very different things.

I think people are getting carried away with what Microsoft has said about Windows 10. It isn't a whole new Windows experience. That is just Microsoft spin to get as much positive press as they can.

Windows 10 is about two things. Firstly it is about distancing itself from Windows 8. Secondly it is about allowing businesses to upgrade from their Windows XP/Vista/7 systems who flat out refused to go to 8.

The first part is pretty simple. They build up hype around it being Windows 10! WOW Yes they skipped a whole version number!

The second part is harder. How do they please their business customers, the ones they NEED to upgrade? They make sure everything works how they expect it too. Nothing crazy. Just a good, solid update with new business features.

Now lets maker it even harder still. How do they please business customers while still supporting the mess that was the launch of Modern Apps? They have Universal apps. Free Visual Studio to get developers back on board. Modern Apps running like legacy apps, etc. Did they get it right? Time will tell I guess.

But why no major redesign? Pretty simple really. Legacy applications break. Yes they can make some changes but a whole new UI just isn't possible without causing a serious backwards compatibility headache. Modern Apps do have a new look but we know that. We have them already. The desktop side of things gets a bit tidier. Some older things get replaced like the Control Panel, a new Modern Notepad app, etc. But underneath that things look pretty much the same as they do in 8 just a bit neater.

A redesign and a new look are two very different things.

I think people are getting carried away with what Microsoft has said about Windows 10. It isn't a whole new Windows experience. That is just Microsoft spin to get as much positive press as they can.

Windows 10 is about two things. Firstly it is about distancing itself from Windows 8. Secondly it is about allowing businesses to upgrade from their Windows XP/Vista/7 systems who flat out refused to go to 8.

The first part is pretty simple. They build up hype around it being Windows 10! WOW Yes they skipped a whole version number!

The second part is harder. How do they please their business customers, the ones they NEED to upgrade? They make sure everything works how they expect it too. Nothing crazy. Just a good, solid update with new business features.

Now lets maker it even harder still. How do they please business customers while still supporting the mess that was the launch of Modern Apps? They have Universal apps. Free Visual Studio to get developers back on board. Modern Apps running like legacy apps, etc. Did they get it right? Time will tell I guess.

But why no major redesign? Pretty simple really. Legacy applications break. Yes they can make some changes but a whole new UI just isn't possible without causing a serious backwards compatibility headache. Modern Apps do have a new look but we know that. We have them already. The desktop side of things gets a bit tidier. Some older things get replaced like the Control Panel, a new Modern Notepad app, etc. But underneath that things look pretty much the same as they do in 8 just a bit neater.

You're right. They can't touch too much under the hood - it'll break things, but Windows 10 is still a major revamp. It's taking the best of Windows 7 and combining it with the best of Windows 8, and adding new productivity features on top.

Metro apps appear to be getting much needed functionality, and legacy desktop only apps are being decommissioned. Control Panel has now officially become legacy code, and is being slowly replaced, if not all together. Make no mistake - Windows 10 is no minor release.

You're right. They can't touch too much under the hood - it'll break things, but Windows 10 is still a major revamp. It's taking the best of Windows 7 and combining it with the best of Windows 8, and adding new productivity features on top.

Metro apps appear to be getting much needed functionality, and legacy desktop only apps are being decommissioned. Control Panel has now officially become legacy code, and is being slowly replaced, if not all together. Make no mistake - Windows 10 is no minor release.

Might be a first, 100% agree with the Dot!

• Like 2

Oh it isn't a minor release however it isn't as big as Microsoft are making it out to be and I think a lot of people here are going to be disappointed on Wednesday. When you look back at Windows releases from 2000/Me to XP, then XP to Vista/7 then 7 to 8. They have all been pretty big releases and this release is no different but it isn't a whole new look to Windows. It is still very much Windows 8 in look and feel. There are new things like the notification centre and some very cool things like continuum and virtual desktops which, like I said, are really there to please businesses more than end users although obviously there will be many end users here that fall into the more advanced user camp.