Nikon D3200 what is this button? switch?

i was looking over my Nikon D3200, and noticed a sort of switch? button??, it's right next to the lens on the actual camera. hard to take a picture of with only 1 camera! and hard to find a picture of it online. but i managed to find 2 that i have highlighted.

on mine it sticks outwards, and when you look at it from the side it doesn't look like the lens touch's it at all. 

D3200_1.jpg

D3200_2.png

after looking online, i'm thinking maybe it's got something to do with the air vent? if you look inside the camera where the lens fits, the 5 dots are noted as air vents, on mine that thing on the side comes out slightly with the lens attached, could it be a vent?

My guess is since most of the building parts are one and the same (d7000 d50,d90 etc) that do have built in focus motor. Eg. since there is no focus motor, there is just a flange for protection.

Though the answer on that is :

On non-G type AF lenses and AIS lenses (lenses with an aperture ring), there is a tab on the aperture ring that will engage with the tab you are describing when the aperture is set to its minimum (largest f-number). Without that, Auto, Program and Shutter-priority won't work properly (and you will see an error instead of an aperture value on the display in Manual)...

Though the above seems to describe what happens in my D600 when i attach a Non-g lense (50mmm d )