uTorrent client is stealing your CPU cycles to mine Bitcoins

I switched to Tribler (from uTorrent) for performance reasons (and the lack of adware) and greater anonymity - apparently, I also dodged a rather nasty bullet in the process.

Thanks for the heads up! :) Off to find new torrent app (any recommendations?) and clean my PC from unwanted junk.  :crazy:

And this is why I'm still running 2.2.1 version of uTorrent.  

There have been so, so many things added and bugs fixed since that version - but I think I'll do the same now :(

Glad I switched over to Tixati a while back.

I love Tixati also, and would be using it if one particular site had it on their white-list.  Right now, I'm using uTorrent 2.2.1, which was their best version until they started bloating it all up. But I still hate the fact that Categories in uTorrent don't show in the dropdown if you don't have a particular torrent being seeded in that category.  In Tixati, they're permanently  there, and you can select them by hitting a radio button.

Thanks for the heads up! :) Off to find new torrent app (any recommendations?) and clean my PC from unwanted junk.  :crazy:

Tixati is good; not the prettiest UI, but pretty customizable.  

I just installed utorrent and I do not have what they claim is being installed.

Out of curiousity, how much extra power (on average) can a bit miner use on an average consumer machine per month? $10? $20? $50? $100? 

Sounds like utorrent will be the target of a class action lawsuit based on not disclosing "your power bill will be increase by X amount"

There have been so, so many things added and bugs fixed since that version - but I think I'll do the same now :(

do you really need the added bulk?    and as for bugs,  1.8.2 version i am using -   i notice no issues.      it downloads torrents.  it reports correct usage to the tracker.  

i can label torrents, sort them in any way i want.   i can set download and upload custom limits.  i have tons of options.

tell me why even 2.2.1 is better then 1.8.2 and i might switch.    but i doubt there is a real reason.

do you really need the added bulk?    and as for bugs,  1.8.2 version i am using -   i notice no issues.      it downloads torrents.  it reports correct usage to the tracker.  

i can label torrents, sort them in any way i want.   i can set download and upload custom limits.  i have tons of options.

tell me why even 2.2.1 is better then 1.8.2 and i might switch.    but i doubt there is a real reason.

I'm sure the torrent back-end that all clients stick to, has been updated lots since uTorrent 1.8.2 was released. You'll fall behind and miss out on features, optimizations etc. of the back-end, not just the client itself.

Saying that, as I said, I'm unhappy with uTorrent these days. However, I feel that, rather than drop to a very old version, it's better for me to switch clients completely.

uTorrent seems to have issues with disk overloading for me so I switched to qBittorrent not too long ago.

No drops in speed or disk issues anymore.

Not sure if anyone ever experienced these issues before but they couldn't be fixed via the memory allocation functions which are found in the settings.

• Like 2

Try Qbitttorrent. it has the same UI and is free from adware and mining

• Like 2

I'm sure the torrent back-end that all clients stick to, has been updated lots since uTorrent 1.8.2 was released. You'll fall behind and miss out on features, optimizations etc. of the back-end, not just the client itself.

this is what i am trying to figure out.  outside of geekery where i must have the latest and greatest....          do i really care and/or need this feature or optimizations?   will it have a noticeable effect?

uTorrent seems to have issues with disk overloading for me so I switched to qBittorrent not too long ago.

No drops in speed or disk issues anymore.

Not sure if anyone ever experienced these issues before but they couldn't be fixed via the memory allocation functions which are found in the settings.

hmmm.   really?      i am going to give it a go.    i never had issues with that until last few month. i don't know what changed, but if it is a bug and not an issue with my aging disk drives... i will switch in a heartbeat.

I've stuck with the app despite them over time adding new advertising to it.  Today though is the day I have uninstalled uTorrent.  I'll start using qBittorrent.  I really hate the fact that open source applications are always fugly.

I didn't see any un-exepcted CPU usage or strange items in startup.  Nothing in any of the program files or anything.. but as I don't support tactics like that.. I've uninstalled uTorrents and moved to qTorrent.

Just switch to Qbittorent: http://sourceforge.net/projects/qbittorrent/

Opensource software that looks similar and does the same

Thanks for the link. This is actually great!

u  want a good torrent client?    just go back to 1.8.2 and never update the software again.

I believe 1.8.2 is vulnerable to the uTorrent DLL hijacking exploit.

I use uTorrent 2.0.4.22967 which is the last 2.0 version and is not vulnerable to the DLL Hijacking Exploit. I wouldn't use anything after 2.0 however, i'd be tempted to find a different client.

• Like 3

hmmm.   really?      i am going to give it a go.    i never had issues with that until last few month. i don't know what changed, but if it is a bug and not an issue with my aging disk drives... i will switch in a heartbeat.

It was fairly easy to make it look akin to utorrent so the switch was super easy once I noticed that it handled better overall. I started by using the standalone portable application because utorrent would have issues with anything single file which was around 10GB +. It showed no issues and didn't slow down the startup on my old 1tb 2.5 platter.

qBittorrent doesn't seem to tax my memory and HDD as much as utorrent for some reason.

I know a lot of people tend to stick to an older utorrent version specially for this reason.

Not sure on what happened to utorrent but try out the portable version on a few files first! ... maybe it will be a good experience!

• Like 1

It seems you have to agree to install it. It not a secret/silent install.

Nothing to suggest everyone has moved to qBittorrent in their download stats graph yet...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qbittorrent/files/qbittorrent-win32/qbittorrent-3.1.12/qbittorrent_3.1.12_setup.exe/stats/timeline

I assume this only counts SF.net downloads. When I went to their site the primary download link I was given was via FOSSHUB.com. Their download stats aren't as granular as SF.net (they're broken down by the month instead of daily)...

I just did a search of my computer. I installed utorrent last week and I can not find any trace of Epic. When I installed utorrent I turned down all the bundled software and didn't download the suggest torrent they offer. But what they did is sleazy. I think i am gonna switch to a different program.

True or not true, I already made the jump to qBittorrent.

A little off topic but how is qBittorrent for speed?