Isn't the point of traffic problems to actually solve them? I mean i didn't write to the maker of Pacman claiming he should fix it because the ghosts keep killing me!

For what it's worth, i've not had any traffic issues myself, just make sure to concentrate on road placement and the initial connections to the highway.

Basically, don't let the "traffic is broken" claims stop you buying this game, it's awesome.

That's because vehicles get in the lane that they're going to be using (turning from) pretty early. You need more alternate routes to help with traffic flow.

aight, you two convinced me, ill purchase this over the weekend (when I have access to decent wifi lol )

But I will come back and anally rape you if I don't like it :p (and by rape I mean Flame and by flame I mean post random comments)

• Like 1

Can you put electricity power lines on top of zones already built, if need be, to get power to buildings with the zones still being able to build ?

You can if memory serves me.

The only area I would like to see patched and improved is power lines. You don't need to build them inside of existing zones where construction has occurred, but this can make it very problematic building new zones. As you'll need power connections to start them and they will be useless once built. Would probably be better to do it based on how connected the zoned land is even without construction existing on the zone first.

pretty fun game I agree with the power lines can be an issue could go for some underground cables just for fun but no big deal

only feature I wish it had was add catastrophe like sim city 4 when I fail I want to rain meteors on my fail before making a new game

Can you put electricity power lines on top of zones already built, if need be, to get power to buildings with the zones still being able to build ?

Placing lines clears out the zones below them, which is kind of annoying. I deal with this by placing a public building, or park which explains the power radius thing. Or just allow for the area below powerlines to be cleared until people start building, then destroy the lines and replace the zones there.

That's because vehicles get in the lane that they're going to be using (turning from) pretty early. You need more alternate routes to help with traffic flow.

There is some weird bug with the traffic AI where it likes to stick to the outermost lane for its trip (maybe the route is only calculated when the vehicle starts its trip?). As such, when going from one single lane to many lanes, if they needed to turn they tend to stick to the outside lane. If you go from like a one-way two-lane road to a 6-lane though it tends to sort of correct the problem and they use more of the lanes.

No. If you build power lines through zoneable area (the white squares around roads) it cuts out the zoneable area, preventing you from zoning it and from anything building up around it. On the flip side though, any area that is powered has a radius that it affects, so you can build power lines at the edge of a built up area and get power through them.

The only area I would like to see patched and improved is power lines. You don't need to build them inside of existing zones where construction has occurred, but this can make it very problematic building new zones. As you'll need power connections to start them and they will be useless once built. Would probably be better to do it based on how connected the zoned land is even without construction existing on the zone first.

Yeah the power lines can be annoying. I only have one or two strands of power lines on my (small) town but when I started I had a bunch of power lines strung all over to different developing areas.

Power lines should be tied into roads IMO. If it's not a large road (maybe 4 or fewer lanes and obviously not highways) then it should transmit power, even if only one tile away from the road. As soon as zoned areas start developing in a powered area, they transmit power in a radius around themselves, if roads could provide power to that initial building it would go a long way in reducing how much juggling you have to do with power lines.

• Like 1

Electricity grids in the game needs work, since regular zones rarely expand outside of the road they're up against, )special buildings have a larger electricity footprint). So if you're using split zones, you either need to place a windmill or something else next to the zone to use as an electricity spreader, or put a mast in the zone taking one square that would be used for the buildings...

Personally I feel power lines should follow at least larger roads or that you could at least put smaller power poles along(on top of) smaller roads. 

In modern cities, you never lay down roads without also including water, sewage and underground electricity and tubes for fiber and other datalines. 

I think my city is bugged. I can't get much demand to go up, but everyone is happy and seem to have jobs. Education is good, each school could hold 100-200 more students. Police, Fire, Health services are fully stocked. Trash is working fine. Etc.

People are moving in as well, sometimes 300-500 a day, but the demand bars don't budged at all. I try to look at stats, but many of the stats are straight lines at the bottom of the graph, such as happiness and employment percentage. All 0.

I never used the cheats such as no money, all unlocks etc, so that didn't glitch it.

Weird.

Just passed the 200,000 citizen mark :D

edit:

well nvm, the commercial demand bar just went up half way. weird weird.

I think my city is bugged. I can't get much demand to go up, but everyone is happy and seem to have jobs. Education is good, each school could hold 100-200 more students. Police, Fire, Health services are fully stocked. Trash is working fine. Etc.

People are moving in as well, sometimes 300-500 a day, but the demand bars don't budged at all. I try to look at stats, but many of the stats are straight lines at the bottom of the graph, such as happiness and employment percentage. All 0.

I never used the cheats such as no money, all unlocks etc, so that didn't glitch it.

Weird.

Just passed the 200,000 citizen mark :D

No commercial demand? It's because you probably have a lot of parks. Apparently it's by design and intended. The theory is that if you have a lot of parks then people won't be spending time in malls and such. It seems silly to me but whatever.

There are several ways to get around it. The first is to not use any parks to start with, or use them very sparingly. The second is to import your own into the game which is a major hassle.

But don't start deleting your parks from your city because property value will drop and people will abandon their houses. Your pop will drop in seconds.

Edit: ^ Parks nerfing Commercial demand was a bug that's been fixed in the latest patch.

There is some weird bug with the traffic AI where it likes to stick to the outermost lane for its trip (maybe the route is only calculated when the vehicle starts its trip?). As such, when going from one single lane to many lanes, if they needed to turn they tend to stick to the outside lane. If you go from like a one-way two-lane road to a 6-lane though it tends to sort of correct the problem and they use more of the lanes.

Yeah, traffic really doesn't like changing lanes. Cars will only get in the right lane if they're turning right at the next intersection, or the left lane if they're turning left at the next intersection, otherwise they just stay in the lane they're in.

Edit: ^ Parks nerfing Commercial demand was a bug that's been fixed in the latest patch.

Yeah, traffic really doesn't like changing lanes. Cars will only get in the right lane if they're turning right at the next intersection, or the left lane if they're turning left at the next intersection, otherwise they just stay in the lane they're in.

Oh it was fixed? I overlooked that in the notes somehow. I don't think it was a bug though because some people on the steam forums and reddit data mined the game and it was coded that way specifically.

Oh it was fixed? I overlooked that in the notes somehow. I don't think it was a bug though because some people on the steam forums and reddit data mined the game and it was coded that way specifically.

That's the problem with bugs, they're coded that way :laugh:

Please explain why in more than one word please.  Cities XXL, like it was said in many reviews, is barely better than last version XL.  I have XL and Skyline and wow, Skyline is SO much better in every way.  For one thing, it perform much better, seems to be using my CPU the way it should.

The only "bug" I have with Skyline is traffic control...  Or I'm really bad at designing roads... 

Seems to be a very widespread issue in the reddit subforum, strange the devs didnt take it into the account for this update.

Seems to be a very widespread issue in the reddit subforum, strange the devs didnt take it into the account for this update.

I've heard they are looking at making improvements to traffic, they probably wanted to fix the more serious issues (that weren't fixed by simply changing your road design) initially. I'm sure we will see improvements as time goes on.

That being said, traffic is not a serious issue if people are getting 300-600k populations with no traffic issues.

It's weird because there are mixed views on it.  Some people say it's broken, others say you just suck at buildings roads because I have no issues.   I've seen some strange behaviors with cars blocking traffic, and such.. but the main issues I saw was fixed in the last patch with the fire trucks.

I don't think it's TOO broken, because I had no issues with traffic with a small city, but once I hit a larger population I had traffic issues.  And I can pretty much for sure say it was because I had bad road design.

Traffic is fine if you manage it, what kills traffic is actually utility servers, and by that I mean mainly garbage truck convoys. 

Seems to be a lot better if you spread out garbage dumps, of course that means more areas with reduced value, but keeps shorter and smaller garbage truck routes.

the second thing is industry. make sure trucks to and from the industry zones, especially if you have high traffic volume "industry" like farming(which also seems to be the only viable long term industry as the others run out and fast), have good traffic routes to where they need to go. Highways to start with, then train depot(make sure you have room for it close) then shipping terminal. 

• Like 2

Traffic is fine if you manage it, what kills traffic is actually utility servers, and by that I mean mainly garbage truck convoys. 

Seems to be a lot better if you spread out garbage dumps, of course that means more areas with reduced value, but keeps shorter and smaller garbage truck routes.

the second thing is industry. make sure trucks to and from the industry zones, especially if you have high traffic volume "industry" like farming(which also seems to be the only viable long term industry as the others run out and fast), have good traffic routes to where they need to go. Highways to start with, then train depot(make sure you have room for it close) then shipping terminal.

Basically all the things in real life that cause you to have to spend hours sitting in traffic, also gnarl up your traffic in the game. Doesn't sound bust to me!

Interview with the Colossal Order CEO:

So you do have plans for future updates, or is it a DLC type thing?

So, basically we have discussed it with Paradox and it's going to be a similar model to what they have for Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4, so it's a bigger expansion with some smaller DLC and also free content. The tunnels and the European buildings we already discussed that these would be free updates, because I very strongly feel that the tunnels, for example, should have

I'd just like to add that the freight train depot can also cause a bunch of traffic because quite a lot of trucks go in and out of it so it's a good idea to have that away from other high traffic areas.

There's also this little track that can help with that: http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2zn410/i_think_i_found_a_way_to_greatly_increase_the/

The funnest part of the game for me is the traffic. Which is crazy. It's like a puzzle. I stated it before in this topic, but i like trying new things with roads because you see the effects immediately.

I do have the random bug where cars turn basically side ways on the high ways and block traffic for miles, but other than that it seems okay. As others stated its more of a bug with path finding for like collecting dead people, and garbage.

BWj.png

How do you even unlock the freight train depot? I have everything unlocked but the rail road tracks and depot, both black.

How do you even unlock the freight train depot? I have everything unlocked but the rail road tracks and depot, both black.

Have you tried mousing over them? Usually the tooltip that appears shows the requirements to unlock it.

Have you tried mousing over them? Usually the tooltip that appears shows the requirements to unlock it.

That's what i assumed it'd do, but it doesn't seem to show me any of the requirements.

For some reason the mouse doesn't show, but i'm hovering over the blacked out building.

UmJ.jpg

EDIT

Nevermind, figured it out. I have to build the first two buildings first

<-- noob.

Really really loving this game.  The major problem that I'm having right now is that I have a shortage of uneducated workers.  I've been trying to build residential areas without any schools to limited success.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Really really loving this game.  The major problem that I'm having right now is that I have a shortage of uneducated workers.  I've been trying to build residential areas without any schools to limited success.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Schools have capacities.. are you at max capacity for the schools?