SpaceX Dragon v2 pad abort test (mission thread)

How will the process work when they are ready to put this in use?  I'd assume that they still need to do a static fire just to test the capsule's ability before a launch.  They probably wouldn't do that on top of the rocket would they?

Not likely.

The SD's could be requalified. mounted to Dragon 2 at McGregor before launch like the F9 engines are. There's a new flight test mount at McGregor for the DragonFly tests which could serve that purpose.

Livestream webcast

http://livestream.com/spacex/events/4027110

SpaceX Adjusts Test Window

SpaceX reported this evening that its Pad Abort Test window will open at 9 a.m., rather than 7 a.m. Media buses will depart the press site promptly at 7:30 for the ITL Causeway.

NASA will provide updates about the test on the Commercial Crew Blog and air the test live on NASA Television 25 minutes prior to T-0.

Was it me or did the livestream suck?  I'm at work, nobody is bothering me for once.  Just wanted 10 minutes to watch this and I can't!

Those dracos have "punch" alright...that was fast...hope they tell us the G force on the sensors later...any word on narrowing down the date for in flight test ?

No date on the flight abort yet, but late summer is the rumor.

Elon chatted with reporters. One SD underperformed a bit, but she still flew nicely for a first test,

@AstroGingerSnap Amy Lynn

@elonmusk does not yet have the numbers yet, but says capsule went 0-100 mph in 1.2 seconds. Definitely faster than Telsa. #LaunchAmerica

@elonmusk says that all 8 SuperDracos do not have to fire to abort, a minimum of 4 do. #LaunchAmerica #SpaceX

#SpaceX confirms that the #Dragon test vehicle's top speed was 345 mph. #LaunchAmerica

Next big tests for #SpaceX will be the in-flight abort and the first uncrewed flight to @Space_Station. #LaunchAmerica

@BadAstronomer

#SpaceX #Dragon test: One SuperDraco was very slightly below nominal thrust. Unclear how this affected performance.

@jeff_foust Jeff Foust

Musk said one SuperDraco thruster had a slightly off mixture ratio, but that did not materially affect the flight."

Awesome stuff! Hope they include vomit bags in the final version tho... Quite a shaky and dangling ride :x

Kinda difficult to upchuck when your stomach is in your feet! :p

No date on the flight abort yet, but late summer is the rumor.

Elon chatted with reporters. One SD underperformed a bit, but she still flew nicely for a first test,

John Force will be drooling with envy over the numbers you quoted...Cheers...

Florida Today update....

Update, noon: SpaceX CEO Elon Musk called today's Dragon pad abort test from Cape Canaveral "a great outcome."

Data from the test remains to be analyzed, but Musk said all eight of the Dragon's SuperDraco engines fired properly.

"Had there been people on board, they would have been in great shape," Musk told reporters on a teleconference. "So I think it was very exciting."

"I think this bodes quite well for the future of the program," he said. "I don't want to jinx it, but certainly this is really quite a good indication for the future of Dragon."

• 3 weeks later...

What a great trailer for a sci-fi movie.........wait a minute(shakes head)...............this is real!....... :woot:

This stuff is really making me wish I'd have followed through with an aerospace engineering profession.

• Like 1

This stuff is really making me wish I'd have followed through with an aerospace engineering profession.

It's never too late....Cheers...

In other space news.....Pac-Man in space?