Windows 10 10074 Personalised Settings (Not Responding)

Go to solution Solved by Tharp94895,

McKay

I updated to the new 10074 build but when I log in I have a black wallpaper on my monitor. In the top left a "Personalised Settings" window opens up but immediately stops responding. If I close it and attempt to open explorer.exe from the task manager the same box opens up and crashes again immediately. I managed to get an explorer window open via task manager so I was able to open these programmes to write this.

I tried running the /sfc scannow command in CMD and it claims it found corrupted files and replaced them, however I am met with the same issues when attempting to log in. 

post-350302-0-57755000-1430492995.jpg

BeerFan

I updated to the new 10074 build but when I log in I have a black wallpaper on my monitor. In the top left a "Personalised Settings" window opens up but immediately stops responding. If I close it and attempt to open explorer.exe from the task manager the same box opens up and crashes again immediately. I managed to get an explorer window open via task manager so I was able to open these programmes to write this.

I tried running the /sfc scannow command in CMD and it claims it found corrupted files and replaced them, however I am met with the same issues when attempting to log in. 

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Well, there isn't a question in your post, so I'm not exactly sure what your goal might be.  As a pre-release OS, it's bound to have some problems.

If you're having trouble with the upgrade, I would suggest backing up any critical files, creating a bootable Win10 usb drive, and doing the installation over again from scratch.

Preppy

Isn't that Personalized Settings dialog ActiveSetup?  That should be the registered components here:

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components

being installed as necessary and if so registered here:

* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components

Should be something with a StubPath, and it sounds like that install stub is evidently failing/hanging.

• Like 1
Tharp94895

Thanks +Preppy! I was able to fix it thanks to your little insight!

- Open Task Manager

- File--> Run--> Regedit (Check run as administrator)

- Backup this directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components (Just in case something goes wrong)

- Delete the key that has something along the lines of windows desktop update v4. (Sorry I didn't backup the directory so don't know the exact key that needs to be deleted)

- Go to Task Manager and Restart Windows Explorer

- Desktop should come up now like normal!

This worked for me. I talked with my college and he had the same problem but his admin rights had been taken away from him. Hope this works for y'all!

-Tim

• Like 1
McKay

Thank you both Preppy and Tharp. I deleted the key along with it's subkeys and my desktop loaded up right away. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
geminiman7

Just wanted to chime in after experiencing this issue after a recent Windows 10 insider update. None of the suggestions here, or on many other websites worked for me after Googling this (yes I created that word lol). HOWEVER, on one website someone suggested simply putting the computer into "flight mode" by pressing the corresponding keyboard shortcut (every laptop manufacturer is slightly different).

No matter what I tried before; modifying registry keys, changing component permissions, etc, nothing worked. But literally 10 seconds after I enabled flight mode, it finally booted into Windows! I restarted again and it's working consistently again now.

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone out there..

• Eric locked this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Lenovo Legion 5 (AMD Ryzen 7 4800H) unboxing and first impressions
      by Rich Woods

Lenovo's Legion 5 is almost identical to the Legion 5i that I reviewed over the summer. In fact, Lenovo didn't even send over a new reviewer's guide because there's one key difference: it has AMD's Ryzen 4000 H-series processors. The 45W chip inside of the one that Lenovo sent me is the Ryzen 7 4800H.

The Ryzen 7 4800H is an octa-core processor with 16 threads, and as mentioned above, a 45W TDP. It has a base clock speed of 2.9GHz and a max boost clock of 4.2GHz. It's built on AMD's Zen 2 architecture, so it's on a 7nm process.

As far as graphics, this machine has an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti. Gone are the days of always seeing AMD Radeon graphics in AMD-powered gaming PCs. Here's the problem though. Like HP did with its OMEN 15, Lenovo gave the AMD version of its product only lower-end SKUs. The Legion 5 is offered with a GTX 1650 or GTX 1650 Ti, while the Intel-powered Legion 5i is offered with a GTX 1660 Ti or an RTX 2060.

Check out the unboxing video below:

• By Copernic
      Winaero Tweaker 0.18
      by Razvan Serea

Winaero Tweaker is an an all-in-one customization utility that helps you to tweak Windows in just a few simple clicks. The program includes tweaks for every version of operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Winaero Tweaker automatically detects the version of Windows OS you’re running and shows tweaks and customization options accordingly. The software can be installed as a portable app so you can take it with you as you move from one computer to another.

Here's a partial features list:

Information - View information about your PC hardware and OS. Aero Colors - Change all Windows Aero settings including those which can't be changed with Control Panel. Aero Lite - Activate the hidden Aero Lite theme. Alt+Tab Appearance - Change hidden secret options of the Alt+Tab dialog. Colored Title Bars - Enable colors for window title bars in Windows 10. Dark Color Scheme - Here you can enable the dark color scheme for Windows 10 system settings and apps. Inactive Title Bars Color - Change the color of inactive title bars in Windows 10. Disable Aero Shake - Disable or enable the Aero Shake feature. Disable Driver Updates - Turn off driver updates in Windows Update. Disable Web Search - Disable Web Search in taskbar and Cortana in Windows 10. Disable Action Center - Disable or enable the Action Center feature in Windows 10. Disable Live Tiles - Disable Live Tiles all at once for Universal(Metro) apps. Activate Windows Photo Viewer - Activate Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10. Auto-update Store apps - Disable or enable auto-update of Store apps in Windows 10. Disable Cortana - Disable Cortana in Windows 10. Disable Windows Defender - Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10. Microsoft Edge Download Folder - Change the default download folder in Microsoft Edge. Stop Unwanted Apps - Stop unwanted apps Windows installs automatically. Windows Defender Tray Icon - Show or hide Windows Defender tray icon. App Switcher Hover Timeout - Change the App Switcher hover timeout delay. Charms Bar Hover Timeout - Change the Charms Bar hover timeout delay. Modern App Closing Options - Speed up closing time of Metro apps for mouse and touch. Start Screen Power Button - Show or hide the Power button on the Start screen. Disable Telemetry - Prevent Windows 10 from spying on you. ... and many more. Download page: Winaero Tweaker 0.18 | 2.4 MB (Freeware)
      View: Winaero Tweaker Home Page | v0.18.0 Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Abhay V
      Xbox Live issue preventing Xbox One and Windows 10 users from launching their games [Update]
      by Abhay Venkatesh

If you were looking to play some games today, heading into the weekend, and fired up a game on your Xbox One or Windows 10 PC only to find that you are unable to access it, you’re not alone. Xbox Support just acknowledged on Twitter that it is aware of an issue with users being unable to access games due to some issues with Xbox Live. The company is actively investigating the issue.

Depending on some users’ reports on Twitter, it looks like trying to launch games returns a "The person who bought this needs to sign in" message, which likely is due to some authentication issues with Xbox Live. The status page for the service notes that there are issues with ‘Purchase and Content Usage’ that affects launching games or apps. The problem is affecting Xbox One and Windows 10 devices. There is no word on a possible ETA for the restoration of the service.

Those interested can keep an eye on Twitter or the Xbox Live Status page for updates for more information. Additionally, you can also choose to request for a notification by signing in on the status page and having the site send an Xbox Live notification or text message.

Update 1: The support account has posted an update on Twitter noting that users should now be able to access their games. However, the status page still notes problems with buying "downloadable" items and launching games.

Update 2: The Xbox Live Status page has also been updated to reflect that all the issues have been fixed.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 20241.1005 without any changes
      by Rich Woods

Two days after Microsoft released Windows 10 Insider Preview build 20241 to the Dev channel, it's releasing a cumulative update. The new build number is 20241.1005, and according to Microsoft, it's sole reason for existence is to test the servicing pipelines. According to the blog post, there are no fixes.

This is the third cumulative update in the Dev channel in less than two weeks, and all of them have been simply to test the servicing pipeline. This is a normal practice, of course, because Microsoft does have to be able to service its updates. It doesn't seem like something that would be quite as necessary in the Dev channel, being that the Dev channel is strictly for the rs_prerelease branch.

Of course, this could also mean that the firm is prepping a version for the Beta channel. While the Dev channel isn't tied to a specific release, the Beta channel is. Being that the Windows 10 October 2020 Update, or version 20H2, was released earlier this week, something new should be coming to the Beta channel soon.

It's unclear what's coming though, because there have been rumors that 21H1 has been canceled in favor of the Windows 10X RTM, something that was originally supposed to happen alongside 20H2 before there were delays. It's also possible that there might still be a 21H1 update, although it could be more similar to the enablement package strategy that we've seen from 20H2 and 19H2. we should find out soon.

• By indospot
      Windows 10 Team 2020 Update will be available for Surface Hub 2S next week
      by João Carrasqueira

Earlier this week, Microsoft officially made the Windows 10 October 2020 Update available for the general public, both via Windows Update and through the other usual methods. Following up on that, the company has now announced a release date for the Windows 10 Team 2020 Update, which is starting to roll out on October 27.

Windows 10 Team is the version of Windows 10 that runs on the Surface Hub family of devices, and it doesn't get major updates all that often. Existing devices are still stuck on version 1703, which is well over three years old at this point. Microsoft released a preview build for the 2020 Update, based on Windows 10 version 20H2, back in July.

In terms of new features in this update, there's the new Chromium-based Edge browser, support for side-by-side inking with two pens at the same time, and a new Teams feature called Coordinated Meetings, which lets users switch between the Surface Hub and a Teams Rooms device on the fly.

There are also some improvements for Azure AD-joined devices, such as support for Single Sign-On and Conditional Access. It also enables users to sign in with Microsoft Authenticator or a FIDO2 security key.

Only the Surface Hub 2S is getting the update on October 27, and even then, it's a gradual release. On that day, users in New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Belgium, and Mexico will start to get the update. On November 10, it will be available in the UK, Japan, Switzerland, and Italy. The United States and Germany will get it on November 30, and the rest of the world starting on December 7. Microsoft says the first-generation Surface Hub, both the 55- and 84-inch models, should get the update soon after.