Why does Dr. Pepper tastes like bitter almonds?

The supposed Coca-Cola secret formula claims to be the best kept corporate secret - known by less than 10 people on the planet...so they say.

The formula to Irn-Bru is known to only 2 people in the world.

Whats that taste like ?  good ?

It's actually... really hard to describe!  I love the stuff, but it HAS to be served cold... I tried it warm once (well, almost hot, left it in the car on a sunny day), and I almost barfed.

It's actually... really hard to describe!  I love the stuff, but it HAS to be served cold... I tried it warm once (well, almost hot, left it in the car on a sunny day), and I almost barfed.

post-508501-0-55094900-1433589303.jpg

Well, how something tastes is purely subjective

Sometimes they put pure cane suger in it, but I am not aware of any vast changes for different countries.  It has been almost 10 years since my family got out of the beverage bottling business, so if there are different formulas - its a new idea.

Quite a few flavors though -

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Dr Pepper (and a couple of others - Cherry Coke, for example) do taste different here in the UK and the USA - I've noticed it. I guess it's due to meeting the rules of each country when it comes to additives and such things.

Whats that taste like ?  good ?

Exactly what FFM said, it's really odd to describe.

The best way i can describe it is a smash up between Red Bull sort of tauriny taste, and a strange fruity flavour. 

Of course this is all based on what is in these drinks in the UK, i've no idea if it'd be the same in the US.

Dr Pepper (and a couple of others - Cherry Coke, for example) do taste different here in the UK and the USA - I've noticed it. I guess it's due to meeting the rules of each country when it comes to additives and such things.

The main differences is that the US versions are made with corn syrup and the UK/EU ones are not.

Also who would name something Dr. Pepper? Who wants to drink peppers\peppers?

It's just a name.

Who would name something Coke? Who want to drink coke? Why not just snort it. /s

It's just a name.

Who would name something Coke? Who want to drink coke? Why not just snort it. /s

I guess because it used to have cocaine in it

I think they all started off with medicinal marketing

Cocaine - Coke

Pep - Pepsi

Dr Pepper - take it 3x a day like the Dr ordered.

When Crystal Pepsi came out years ago - our garage was full of the stuff.  Apparently we had 500 cases of it

I was too young to remember, but my father had a local Pepsi bottler run off some for him - he couldnt give it away after the market crucified it.

It was all thrown out in the trash apparently

not sure how old dr. pepper is, but  it might be because it started as a "medicinal" drink like cola. or just because the maker was a doctor callled Pepper, or both.

Perhaps because it "peps" you up? I'm not sure about its history either. I can hear the adline "Have you lost your drive? Are you just plain tired? Well, you need to go see the doctor for a pep up! His name is Dr. Pepper!" Heh heh.

Iron Bru is sold more in Scotland we used to sell a lot to the lassies who had it mixed with vodka.I  don't know if they still make it but there used to be a red lemonade available in England too

Red lemonade is a popular soft drink in Ireland. Lemonade in Ireland comes in three varieties - red, brown and white. All three are officially lemon-flavoured, but there is a marked difference in taste between the varieties.[citation needed]

Red lemonade is one of the most popular mixers used with spirits in Ireland, particularly whiskey.[1][citation needed]

Major brands of red lemonade include: TK (Taylor Keith)[2], Country Spring, Finches and Nash's.

Red Lemonade is frequently quoted in the top ten things that Irish expatriates miss about the country.[citation needed]

Popular urban myths include: Red lemonade only exists in Ireland as the chemical used to make it red is banned elsewhere in the world. The contention of the myth is that the chemical in it is carcinogenic and banned in all other EU countries.[3][citation needed]

In Northern Ireland, there is Brown lemonade as well as red.[citation needed] This is also lemon-flavoured but with a different taste to the white variety. Brands include Maine, Yacht and C&C (Cantrell & Cochrane). C&C label this as "Witches Brew" in the weeks around Halloween. TK is also widely available.[

Brown lemonade is a lemonade sold in Northern Ireland alongside the more recognisable "white lemonade"

There is a slight difference in taste between the two, however the main difference is that brown colouring is used to alter its appearance.

Legend has it that in the Harland and Wolff shipyards in Belfast, employees were not allowed to drink alcohol on their lunch breaks. The shipbuilders were not keen on drinking soft drinks because they thought it to make them feminine and as a result brown lemonade was created as it could be drunk from a pint glass and look like a pint of ale.[citation needed]

The most common brands of Brown Lemonade in Northern Ireland are Cantrell & Cochrane (C&C) and Maine.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101008074615AA8q8os

I tried it, to me it tasted closer to something somewhat related to cherry-flavored cough syrup rather than almonds, anyway I didn't like it at all.

same, the flavor was too strong for me and reminded me of cough syrup.

Any taste is fine as long as any drink doesn't contain "tons of sugar" to which some of you are used to drink everyday in gallons. And hence forming a big belly like a pregnant lady.

Any taste is fine as long as any drink doesn't contain "tons of sugar" to which some of you are used to drink everyday in gallons. And hence forming a big belly like a pregnant lady.

"Some of you" ?

Interesting choice of words - I think most people would say, "..doesn't contain "tons of sugar" to which some of you [people] are used to [sic] drink everyday in gallons.

But its almost like you want to make sure you are not included in the "some people" - you are taking an initial step to separate yourself from any of us who has a big belly like a pregnant lady.

What are you really trying to say ?  or want to say ?

Or do I need sleeps ?

• Like 1

"Some of you" ?

Interesting choice of words - I think most people would say, "..doesn't contain "tons of sugar" to which some of you [people] are used to [sic] drink everyday in gallons.

But its almost like you want to make sure you are not included in the "some people" - you are taking an initial step to separate yourself from any of us who has a big belly like a pregnant lady.

Or do I need sleeps ?

He is stereotyping.

"Some of you" ?

Or do I need sleeps ?

It's tired old "Fat American" thing again, better to ignore the trolls really 

I don't drink soda anymore because its so bad for you, but I still love Dr. Pepper.

It's bad for you in excess.  Nothing wrong with it if you're sensible.

• Like 2

I don't drink soda anymore because its so bad for you, but I still love Dr. Pepper.

I don't drink water anymore, because it can kill you.

</s> seriously though, ANYTHING is bad for you... it's called control

what always gets me is when some hipsterish vegan bad mouths me for drinking pop or eating meat because it's unhealthy then they have to go out for a smoke break...... you just want to punch them...

It's bad for you in excess.  Nothing wrong with it if you're sensible.

I don't drink water anymore, because it can kill you.

</s> seriously though, ANYTHING is bad for you... it's called control

what always gets me is when some hipsterish vegan bad mouths me for drinking pop or eating meat because it's unhealthy then they have to go out for a smoke break...... you just want to punch them...

Exactly! My neighbour is a triathlete, he loves his fast food and beer, but all in moderation, he's as fit as hell (athletic wise, not to say he's isn't a handsome man, you understand).

If anything in it is bad then I have developed quite a tolerance to it over the years.  I get to have both with sugar and without sugar due to how close I am to the Canada border and Dr. Pepper with sugar tastes completely different from its corn syrup counterpart.

Reminds me of which glass to choose. 

What you do not smell is called iocane powder. It is odorless, tasteless, dissolves instantly in liquid, and is among the more deadlier poisons known to man.