[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

So, Build keynote has come and gone, and Windows 10 still doesn't have proper tablet features. That's it. It's over. Windows 10 will be a failure on tabs. I guess Surface will be rebranded to a laptop now?

So far, 10074 is running great on my VM, and with only 1 GB of RAM. First build of Win10 in a long time that I can actually use. Although I haven't tested Spartan/Edge yet. On 10041, it loaded, but was so slow it was unusable.

So, Build keynote has come and gone, and Windows 10 still doesn't have proper tablet features. That's it. It's over. Windows 10 will be a failure on tabs. I guess Surface will be rebranded to a laptop now?

Interactive Live Tiles being worked on for future implementation in Windows 10

http://www.winbeta.org/news/interactive-live-tiles-being-worked-future-implementation-windows-10

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-tablet-modes-get-update-start-screen-improved-smaller-tablets

newSTart.jpgwindows-10-tablet-build-stage.jpg?itok=k

• Like 2

Uh, no.  Time to move on.  This isn't 2012 anymore.  

Seems like Win10 does have some "tablet features" to me. Of course, I don't use tablets, never have, so it's not that critical to me.

And falling iPad sales suggests to me that tablets may be losing their appeal a bit, especially in the wake of larger-sized smartphones.

Since Microsoft has for the first time indicated restoring something close to Aero Glass to the Windows 10 UI I am now somewhat more optimistic about it. If and only if window titles have transparency with the same look at build 10074's aero blurred start menu (or better) I will be a day 1 RTM user, barring unforeseen problems preventing me from using it. 

I will be able to live with the obese sized minimize, maximize, close buttons that have no color in them at all, and the other oversized buttons and UI controls, and the loss of the control panel if Microsoft throws me and other desktop users this bone. Us desktop users that long for Windows 7's prettiness coupled with the low level enhancements that benefit desktop users of 8 and above like memory management, improved I/O multitasking, improved resource usage, etc. 

And falling iPad sales suggests to me that tablets may be losing their appeal a bit, especially in the wake of larger-sized smartphones.

I truly do hope so. I hope it turns out to be a fad and goes the way of the Atkins diet. I hope Microsoft is getting back to putting desktop users on the front burner again. 

Since Microsoft has for the first time indicated restoring something close to Aero Glass to the Windows 10 UI I am now somewhat more optimistic about it. If and only if window titles have transparency with the same look at build 10074's aero blurred start menu (or better) I will be a day 1 RTM user, barring unforeseen problems preventing me from using it. 

I will be able to live with the obese sized minimize, maximize, close buttons that have no color in them at all, and the other oversized buttons and UI controls, and the loss of the control panel if Microsoft throws me and other desktop users this bone. Us desktop users that long for Windows 7's prettiness coupled with the low level enhancements that benefit desktop users of 8 and above like memory management, improved I/O multitasking, improved resource usage, etc. 

I truly do hope so. I hope it turns out to be a fad and goes the way of the Atkins diet. I hope Microsoft is getting back to putting desktop users on the front burner again. 

I think tablets were largely a stopgap due to the lack (at the time, i.e. earlier part of this decade) of large-screened smartphones. But now you've got the iPhone 6+, Galaxy Note, Nexus 6, etc. All of these "phablets" are selling well and have started to eat into tablet sales. I know someone who bought an iPad mini and doesn't use it anymore because of their 6+. It was one of the reasons tablets never appealed to me... I always saw them as crippled laptops and less useful than smartphones. I figured it was a matter of time before larger-sized smartphones began to replace them. It may be happening now. it may not. Time will tell.

What the hell does Dot even want?? They made the start screen more touch friendly. He is nothing but a complainer. Oh no Win 10 is not up to you tablet friendly features so the whole OS is gona be a failure.. GET REAL! 

I want the restoration of Windows 8.1 functionality. There was no reason to remove it. I want to be able to use Windows 10 without the need for a mouse or stylus.

Jesus, they're serious about that taskbar crap, aren't they? SMH.

Uh, no.  Time to move on.  This isn't 2012 anymore.  

No, it's 2015, and tablets are everywhere.

I want the restoration of Windows 8.1 functionality. There was no reason to remove it. I want to be able to use Windows 10 without the need for a mouse or stylus.

There is nothing preventing you from using 10 on a tablet.  All the functionality is there.  Time to move on?

Does 10074 allow for the dark mode theme? I remember seeing screenshots of a dark-themed Calculator. How do I enable it?

Also, Spartan/Edge is still a bit unusable for me on 10074. It loads very slowly, loading my favorites seems to work, but once on a page, even standard links don't seem to do anything. Though this likely is because I'm on a VM. Still need to do a native install somewhere and see if Edge runs any better.

UPDATE: Quit Edge, restarted... Seems to be much better now. Also installed some updates and turn on VMware Tools. So maybe that had something to do with it.

Put the taskbar to the top and it be just like ios\andriod\etc. lmao 

There is nothing preventing you from using 10 on a tablet.  All the functionality is there.  Time to move on?

No, it's not. The horizontal movement of the OS, the centralized location of Charms, and the full screen applications list. It's gone.

Put the taskbar to the top and it be just like ios\andriod\etc. lmao 

Well, Microsoft seems to think Windows is Android, anyway, so...

No, it's not. The horizontal movement of the OS, the centralized location of Charms, and the full screen applications list. It's gone.

The charms bar frequently would slide in when trying to close a window with a mouse. Good riddance. You can get most of its functionality by using winkeys - which I'm sure there are finger touching patterns/gestures to replicate those if you don't want to get a cheap bluetooth keyboard and use that. Or use the on screen keyboard's winkey. 

The charms bar was a usability nightmare. 

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-windows-10-without-the-charms-bar/

That photo doesn't look like a big deal to me. It essentially looks the same as Windows Phone always has except the information bar is at the bottom and includes what used to be hardware buttons. Now, the desktop experience... still very "bleh" IMO.

Good riddance to the charms.  Regardless of what you say...10 will do just fine on tablets.

More importantly though...it appears (though not to the degree I personally would like) to be correcting the mistakes that 8x brought to the desktop.

• Like 3

It's there.  If you can't do it or hate that way, then install Start8 and move on.

Or stick with Windows 8.1 for time being.

• Like 2

I want my horizontal scroll back on Start, and app bar and swiping in from the left side to switch apps and for the love of pete get rid of the Hamburger especially on Start which you have to do to find the shutdown button. Hidden AGAIN? What about the cortana button WITHOUT the taskbar?

Good riddance to the charms.  Regardless of what you say...10 will do just fine on tablets.

More importantly though...it appears (though not to the degree I personally would like) to be correcting the mistakes that 8x brought to the desktop.

10 for tablets will NOT work as well as 8.1 does.

I still think it's going to improve over the next few months. Some of these new UI elements seem like the beginning not the end. It's a work in progress. There were A few things that I didn't like about the Keynote. The new logo for Edge, the suggested apps in the Start Menu, Windows Spotlight, and the back button being in the Title Bar or Task Bar. There were some good things too. Microsoft pulling resources across mobile platforms, desktop apps coming to the Windows store, and Continuum using A phone. Also, the hamburger button on the Start Screen seems like an interesting UI choice.

I literally had a dream that Windows Update was actually a decent program. I mean that literally... showed the real progress, inset KB articles in the download/updating screen, information about which update it is currently working, ability to skip an update with log data shown for support, link to a standalone update download... EDIT pause and restart... advanced mode showing raw file data...

EDIT

"Unfortunately, extensions will not make it into the RTM build of Microsoft Edge"

That is *extremely* unfortunate, since that is one of the biggest features I am waiting for.

Edited by Zagadka

The edge gestures are all there in tablet mode, my god some of you, hide the taskbar if you don't want it, it's the same exact UI we've had on phones since WP8.1 introduced software keys, which can be hidden as well.    Swipe from the left brings up the task switcher, nothing new there, except that it looks better now IMO.  Swipe from the right to get the action center and quick access buttons,  way more helpful and feature rich compared to charms.

Nothing has been lost, only the looks have changed to stay consistent between different device types, that's why the start screen on desktop/tablets now scrolls vertically and not left to right, to match phones.  I love the fact you guys moan at how inconsistent MS is and when they start to make things consistent you guys still moan about.

The edge gestures are all there in tablet mode, my god some of you, hide the taskbar if you don't want it, it's the same exact UI we've had on phones since WP8.1 introduced software keys, which can be hidden as well.    Swipe from the left brings up the task switcher, nothing new there, except that it looks better now IMO.  Swipe from the right to get the action center and quick access buttons,  way more helpful and feature rich compared to charms.

Which is fine... for phones and small tablets. Not for the SP3 or touch screen laptops.

How is moving your hand to the center of the screen for task view easier than swiping in from the left edge to cycle through apps? Not better.

Taskbar? Now apps are going to use that back button more and more :( you will have to keep the bar open, app controls now clutter the UI with a hamburger menu.

Right action center >> this is better, but the time and date are not shown and what about battery and the volume and brightness and wifi from Charms? Much easier. Search from the right side? Easier with charms. There was a start button in charms, now it requires the taskbar :(