+warwagon

I didn't see the 1991 Chevy cavalier in that list :(

tsupersonic

It's so easy to acquire credits in FM6 that it's really a non factor to me.

Well, you're not getting some of the benefits of the VIP package or car pass, which is what Andrew was getting at. Microtransactions have been a part of Forza for quite some time now. Like you said, credits are just thrown at you if you just play the damn game. 

Personally I bought my Xbox One (and 360) to play Forza/racing games, and for a media center console. So, I pre-ordered the VIP package + car pass. Why not? 

• Like 1
123456789A

Well, you're not getting some of the benefits of the VIP package or car pass, which is what Andrew was getting at. Microtransactions have been a part of Forza for quite some time now. Like you said, credits are just thrown at you if you just play the damn game. 

Personally I bought my Xbox One (and 360) to play Forza/racing games, and for a media center console. So, I pre-ordered the VIP package + car pass. Why not? 

Oh good point, I did get the deluxe edition that comes with the VIP and car pass, so maybe that's why I've been accumulating so many credits. I also use the Forza Hub (tier 8) and get insane amounts of credits all the time.

tsupersonic

Oh good point, I did get the deluxe edition that comes with the VIP and car pass, so maybe that's why I've been accumulating so many credits. I also use the Forza Hub (tier 8) and get insane amounts of credits all the time.

Yep VIP gives you double credits for every race. I check in every once in a while to Forza Hub (or Forza Rewards), and I get 300k credits on all my Forza games (tier 7)

Vandalsquad

Have you played Forza 6 yet Andrew...? The amount of credits and free car's that get thrown at you every level is ridiculous. Can't say I've even purchased cars outside of maybe 5 :laugh:

Microtransactions are a non-issue.

dipsylalapo

I don't think the ease of getting credits is the issue, it's more that people can buy their way to the more exotic cars without actually having played the game. It may take you a dozen races to save enough for the top tier card, but someone comes in with a credit card, buys the credit for the car. 

Microtransactions themselves have never been a problem it's the pay to win culture that's the issue. Games used to be about persevering, the sense of achievement, nailing that perfect lap to win a rare car or the credit to go towards a car, now it can be about the size of your wallet. 

HawkMan

I don't think the ease of getting credits is the issue, it's more that people can buy their way to the more exotic cars without actually having played the game. It may take you a dozen races to save enough for the top tier card, but someone comes in with a credit card, buys the credit for the car. 

Microtransactions themselves have never been a problem it's the pay to win culture that's the issue. Games used to be about persevering, the sense of achievement, nailing that perfect lap to win a rare car or the credit to go towards a car, now it can be about the size of your wallet. 

and ? the game is about the journey, some people just want the end game, and can have it. it doesn't affect your gameplay and journey at all...

dipsylalapo

and ? the game is about the journey, some people just want the end game, and can have it. it doesn't affect your gameplay and journey at all...

That may be the case in some games, but where multiplayer is involved it can affect others. 

+Audioboxer

Nothing new these days, but it's pretty scummy to patch in micro-transactions after the review honeymoon period. 

• Like 1
TruckWEB

People with money to spare will be able to buy anything they want.  I feel it's a form of cheat....

HawkMan

That may be the case in some games, but where multiplayer is involved it can affect others. 

How? at worst you'll be racing people who don't know how to race their cars.

othewise you'll be racing the same bad to good drivers in their cars wether they bought them with real or fake money. you're still racing people with the same class the race is set to.

in this game it has no effect. in games like World of Warlpanes, where a single plane can cost more than a boxed AAA game the prices are stupid, but even there the game is balanced by tier of the plane, the ability to buy ammo that can only be bought with gold is a bit more iffy though, of course that's not the case with Forza 6

Nothing new these days, but it's pretty scummy to patch in micro-transactions after the review honeymoon period. 

since it doesn't affect the gameplay or the scores... umm why... 

• Like 1
HawkMan

People with money to spare will be able to buy anything they want.  I feel it's a form of cheat....

They're only cheating themselves on the gameplay to get there. but some peopel just want to race top end and have no interest in racing all the low end cars or race single player races to earn money to get the cars they will use in the MP races they actually want to race. for them it's worth it to spend money instead of wasting time. 

dipsylalapo

Point taken HawkMan :)

• Like 1
+Audioboxer

othewise you'll be racing the same bad to good drivers in their cars wether they bought them with real or fake money. you're still racing people with the same class the race is set to.

in this game it has no effect. in games like World of Warlpanes, where a single plane can cost more than a boxed AAA game the prices are stupid, but even there the game is balanced by tier of the plane, the ability to buy ammo that can only be bought with gold is a bit more iffy though, of course that's not the case with Forza 6

Precisely why. Some reviews may have docked it a little for microtransactions. Or so MS/Turn 10 would have feared.

After the recent Payday 2 backlash to putting in microtransactions after launch and the general distain for microtransactions in $60 games protecting the day 1/week 1 metacritic score is what the big boys are after. In an industry where re-reviews aren't done/accepted, whatever score you're saddled with you're stuck with. Launch a broken game and patch it within a month? Doesn't matter, you're stuck with your broken game day 1 scores. Same goes for microtransactions in this instance.

Don't be surprised if other AAA games start doing this (looking at EA/Ubisoft in particular).

Edited by Audioboxer
  • Like 2
MikeChipshop

Got to say i agree with HawkMan on this.

You see tons of rich kids sliding off the track and coming last simply because they weren't patient enough to spend the time playing the game and learning the cars. If they want to throw extra money at Turn 10 then so be it, it's beneficial to me in the long run.

Hedon

Have you played Forza 6 yet Andrew...? The amount of credits and free car's that get thrown at you every level is ridiculous. Can't say I've even purchased cars outside of maybe 5 :laugh:

Microtransactions are a non-issue.

Pretty sure he hasn't. Funny thing is, I love how people turn OPTIONS into a negative. Don't like them, don't use them. But down tread on others that might enjoy using them. I personally have no use for them because I get enough credits as it is, about 1 million a week for all my Forzas.

Hedon

I was wondering the same thing. Just typical negativity.

Showan

This is bad if the current payout system has been altered.  

If the current payout stays intact (or even improves) this will not matter to most.

I don't own Forza, but a few friends of mines do, and they go at it about this all the time.  

One of them always ticked the way microtransactions were so in your face in Forza5, He couldn't stand the greed.

WHereas my other friend was like, I got family, work a lot, and so on, why can't i just *pay a few bucks* to get ahead.

I guess my being neutral, can see the argument on both sides, but I just think Microsoft should improve or increase the payout. 

Hedon

This is bad if the current payout system has been altered.  

If the current payout stays intact (or even improves) this will not matter to most.

I don't own Forza, but a few friends of mines do, and they go at it about this all the time.  

One of them always ticked the way microtransactions were so in your face in Forza5, He couldn't stand the greed.

WHereas my other friend was like, I got family, work a lot, and so on, why can't i just *pay a few bucks* to get ahead.

I guess my being neutral, can see the argument on both sides, but I just think Microsoft should improve or increase the payout. 

If someone buys their way to the top, that doesn't impact my game play at all (or other people's game play). The current payout system is not altered by the microtransactions.

Showan

If someone buys their way to the top, that doesn't impact my game play at all (or other people's game play). The current payout system is not altered by the microtransactions.

if this doesn't impact the game in any capacity, I guess there's no argument to be had.

Hedon

if this doesn't impact the game in any capacity, I guess there's no argument to be had.

In a blog post, developer Turn 10 stressed that Forza 6's microtransactions are entirely optional and are aimed at people who want to speed up their progress. In addition, the studio has a solution for people who don't even want to know the micropayments even exist.

"Players who do not wish to see the token feature in Forza Motorsport 6 menus will have the option to disable this feature from appearing by turning Tokens off in the HUD Options menu," it said.

Forza 6's microtransactions are available through these options:

• 100 Tokens -- $1
  • 325 Tokens -- $3
  • 575 Tokens -- $5
  • 1250 Tokens -- $10
  • 2700 Tokens -- $20
  • 8000 Tokens -- $50
  • 20,000 Tokens -- $100

Forza 6 is not the first numbered Forza game to feature microtransactions, nor is it the only AAA game to have them. In fact, it is somewhat rare today for big-name games to not have them, as is the case with the new Need for Speed. Both Forza 4 (2011) and Forza 5 (2013) also had mictotransactions, a decision that creative director Dan Greenawalt has defended.

"We don't have paywalls," Greenawalt said about Forza 5's microtransactions. "We have acceleration, and that was based on feedback from players in Forza 4--there's a small group of players that can't be bothered to do things and they have disposable income. They're the sim guys in a lot of cases. They don't want to do the career, and they don't value those aspects, and that's alright by me."

• Like 1
MikeChipshop

-- Snip --

This, ladies and gentlemen, is how you do Microtransactions in a game.

• Like 2
+Audioboxer

The argument for me was never how well it was done, just that it was a bit dubious to patch them in after reviews. It's not a trend that I want to see crop up from all the big publishers because unlike how microtransactions are done here, others seriously impact on the user experience (looking at Konami with MGS5 recently, which they didn't have live/detailed for reviews either...).

• Like 1