Windows 10 RTM to be given to all 'Windows Insider' members for FREE!

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-10-Preview-Users-Will-Get-RTM-for-Free-484829.shtml

You will be able to upgrade to the rtm build on july 29th, you will also be able to do a clean install once you have upgraded and activated. Incredible news!

I don't have the preview on my desktop except in a VM. I have it on my laptop. I guess I'll have to put the preview on it starting the next build or week of the release.

It doesn't say you have to have it on before the release. Only makes it seem like as long as it's on there day of.

When you take advantage of this option, don't you automatically join the insider program again and you will have no option to opt out of the test versions of the updates?

Or did I just make that up?

Seems better to just use the free upgrade from one of your older registered versions of Windows so you can choose if you want to join the insider program.

Unless you have a free pc hanging around without an OS and as long as it's not your main system, this might be an option.

Yeah it's been known about for a while now. Microsoft didn't exactly keep it a secret, yet people act like it was never known about until Gabe Aul mentioned it on his Twitter and people acted like it was brand new news.

I've been telling people for a couple months now how they could get it completely free without needing to have Windows 7 or 8. I was telling people: "Sign up to become an insider and you'll get it for free when it's released. Microsoft has said this". People acted like I was stupid or making it up. Gabe mentioned it on Twitter and links to that page and all of a sudden there is shock from all over the place.

He can't come right out and say "You pirate Windows? Here's how to get it for free when it's available if you don't have a legit copy installed". He has to say something like "oh yeah if you become an Insider, you'll get RTM on the day it's released" followed by something like "You can sign up to become an insider up to RTM". If they want those billions of users within the next 2-3 years, how you think they are going to get that many?

Once you're an insider you can stay in the program after RTM or stop the builds. Don't know if they will give the option to let you opt in and out all you want though. I don't think they have explained that any further.

I'm downloading the insider preview right now. Going to run in Vbox on my Arch Linux host. Curious to see what it's like. It might be somewhat usable once I install cygwin and ConEmu.

I'm downloading the insider preview right now. Going to run in Vbox on my Arch Linux host. Curious to see what it's like. It might be somewhat usable once I install cygwin and ConEmu.

Go in without expectations. There are still problems and you don't want to get ###### off.

Go in without expectations. There are still problems and you don't want to get ###### off.

That's why I'm installing it in a VM. Don't want to install a buggy OS on my main system :)

Not sure what everyone is jumping about. The blog post written yesterday had cryptic language to begin with, which is why I ignored it. If Microsoft was giving Windows 10 to Insiders, they would have come out and said it, but they didn't. It still requires a valid Windows 8.1 or 7 key for the upgrade.

• Like 2

For once i find myself in agreement with Dot matrix, this was a non story to begin with and all flared up because Microsoft used a rather poor choice of words which a number of sites have pounced on, and yet again have got it badly wrong in search of a story.

The only thing that has surprised me is Neowin didn't join in with the fun and plaster this all over their front page. :D  

Not sure what everyone is jumping about. The blog post written yesterday had cryptic language to begin with, which is why I ignored it. If Microsoft was giving Windows 10 to Insiders, they would have come out and said it, but they didn't. It still requires a valid Windows 8.1 or 7 key for the upgrade.

This.

I don't know why people thought any differently.

For once i find myself in agreement with Dot matrix, this was a non story to begin with and all flared up because Microsoft used a rather poor choice of words which a number of sites have pounced on, and yet again have got it badly wrong in search of a story.

The only thing that has surprised me is Neowin didn't join in with the fun and plaster this all over their front page. :D  

They already did :laugh:

https://www.neowin.net/news/nearly-4-million-insiders-will-receive-windows-10-rtm-as-a-free-upgrade

Anyone participating in the Insider program gets Win10 for free....

But if they came into it with unlicensed Windows versions, their Win10 will also be unlicensed, so no reprieve for pirated / hacked versions.

Been plastered and posted all over Neowin.

Anyone participating in the Insider program gets Win10 for free....

But if they came into it with unlicensed Windows versions, their Win10 will also be unlicensed, so no reprieve for pirated / hacked versions.

Been plastered and posted all over Neowin.

Considering very few have installed the TP on top of a previous version of Windows, I'd say that is a fringe case.

Most haven't come into it with unlicensed or licensed Windows versions. They are using the TP key.

Considering very few have installed the TP on top of a previous version of Windows, I'd say that is a fringe case.

Most haven't come into it with unlicensed or licensed Windows versions. They are using the TP key.

I could bet that's the case of the majority of Windows Insiders.

I still haven't seen this particular scenario clarified so my guess is that Microsoft will indeed grant genuine license to these users. The update on the Microsoft blog post could have been made to clarify, for the Nth time, that users upgrading from Windows 7/8.1 will need a genuine license to remain activated.

Has someone here come upon details about Windows Insiders making clean installs and using the Preview key to register/activate?

• Like 1

The wording has changed from what was originally posted by Microsoft

However, that apparent slip of the tongue (use of the word "activated") has now been removed from the post.

And Aul has since added this clarification: "It

Considering that prior to any ISO's being made available that was the only way to install it... I'd have to guess it's so not so fringe.

This again? Microsoft has been terrible at communicating that only licensed users will be given a free copy. Instead we've seen numerous articles on Neowin and other sites over the months suggesting that Windows 10 is completely free to testers. If that is going to be the case then Microsoft should come out and say that unequivocally, as they have repeatedly stated the opposite.

This again? Microsoft has been terrible at communicating that only licensed users will be given a free copy. Instead we've seen numerous articles on Neowin and other sites over the months suggesting that Windows 10 is completely free to testers. If that is going to be the case then Microsoft should come out and say that unequivocally, as they have repeatedly stated the opposite.

Agree... Was Confimed way before only Legit Users whuld get a Free Upgrade.

But if people Do have Unlicenced Systems. i'd say just stay in the Development Builds.

I have 1x Windows 7 Home Prem CDkey and my Main PC has a Windows 7 Pro Key from a Dead Laptop i've been Donated.

So i have Legit copy's on my 2 pc's...

Considering that prior to any ISO's being made available that was the only way to install it... I'd have to guess it's so not so fringe.

I think you misunderstood me.

Nobody is running properly licensed Windows 10 TP right now. Everyone has come into it unlicensed.

The fringe case would be those who are properly licensed by updating with the TP.

I think you misunderstood me.

Nobody is running properly licensed Windows 10 TP right now. Everyone has come into it unlicensed.

Then explain to me why all 6 of the computers I have, 1 desktop, 3 laptops and 2 tablets all show as activated, and none have asked for a license key to be entered when being "upgraded" from Win8.1 they all were running previously to Win10TP, and I see many people here asking about who has the key to install?

Yeah, all of my computers have gone through the "upgrade" process to the Win10 preview. Not one has been "clean installed". The only one I've had much of a problem with is a Toshiba tablet which I haven't yet figured out how to get the touch screen drivers working... but then again, I only spend maybe 15 minutes a day on that task.