Can't clean install 10147

Hi all,

I've obtained an ISO of 10147, but I'm having trouble installing it. I've created my UEFI-bootable flash drive like always, set my PC to boot from it, and powered it on. The installation hangs several minutes into it, with the following error message displayed:  "Windows could not update registry data in the installation."

I've tried it numerous times after several different methods for creating the bootable USB. Anyone know what's causing this error?  Is it even possible to do a clean install with this build?

Thanks  (Y)

I've seen this problem before but in an unrelated case.

I wonder, have you tried formatting the HDD and then doing the install?

You might also want to run chkdsk on the HDD to make sure that it isn't a hardware issue.

Also, reading through this thread they seem to suggest that declining updates can get around the issue (until the OS is installed, of course) as well as removing the flash disk when it first restarts and inserting it again when it starts to boot Windows. Yes the source for those pieces of advice is old and referring to older copies of Windows, but it may work in this case as well.

Is there even an option to decline installing updates in the Windows 10 builds?  I thought that part was forced on us since they're preview builds.

I'm going to attempt to clean install 10130 now, and then check the HDD out as you've suggested. My hunch is that it's a hardware / driver issue, but not sure.

Is there even an option to decline installing updates in the Windows 10 builds?  I thought that part was forced on us since they're preview builds.

Ah, you may be right. I'd forgotten about Microsoft's new direction regarding updates. As I said, the source I was quoting from was in relation to earlier Windows versions.

Ah, you may be right. I'd forgotten about Microsoft's new direction regarding updates. As I said, the source I was quoting from was in relation to earlier Windows versions.

Yeah, thanks. I saw some of the same sources in Bing'ing the error message, I think.  I'll keep trying.

Can anyone at least confirm that it's possible to do a clean install from USB with 10147?

Thanks.  (Y)

Yeah, thanks. I saw some of the same sources in Bing'ing the error message, I think.  I'll keep trying.

Can anyone at least confirm that it's possible to do a clean install from USB with 10147?

Thanks.  (Y)

Here's the thing: you can install 10147 clean on a partition; I know, because I did this, and from USB drive.  But if you clean install it, you will not be able to activate it with the 10130 key provided.  Which means you won't get to do any customization whatsoever on the build.  So I installed 10130, then installed the 10147 as an upgrade, and it worked fine, keeping the original activation from 10130.

Thanks for that.  I'm moving forward with that method: an upgrade from 10130.  Not sure what was causing my issue, but oh well.

And, an interesting related find:  When running the Setup.exe from the 10147 media, you actually are given the option to either "Download and install updates", or choose "Not right now."

Little birdie told me they changed the install keys for 10147.  I have not checked/tested it on a fresh install [yet].  Probably will tomorrow.  Not sure if it's allowed to post those keys.

I was able to do a clean install via USB flash drive, I did use rufus 2.2 to create the install.

Windows 10 Insider Preview Keys (Build 10147):

Pro: 8N67H-M3CY9-QT7C4-2TR7M-TXYCV

Core: KTNPV-KTRK4-3RRR8-39X6W-W44T3

Enterprise: CKFK9-QNGF2-D34FM-99QX2-8XC4K

Core Single Language: JPYNJ-XTFCR-372YJ-YJJ3Q-G83YB

Core Chinese Language Edition: R3BYW-CBNWT-F3JTP-FM942-BTDXY