Howard Dean is a Christian

Presidential contender Howard Dean tells Thursday's BOSTON GLOBE that he's a 'committed believer in Jesus Christ' and he expects to increasingly include references to Jesus and God in upcoming speeches.

Full Article coming soon...

Sure they do. They just support it indirectly...like by sending people to fight wars in the middle east.

War has nothing to do with purposely killing your children because you don't want them to be born due to your lack of common sense in bed.

Sure they do. They just support it indirectly...like by sending people to fight wars in the middle east.

um.. that's not funny. In fact it is a very poor assesment of the situation there. But it's OK. You don't need to approve.

This is news?

It is news when you consistently hear about how bad it is that Bush publicly and often makes reference to his faith in God. It is something I have heard since day one as a negative about Bush. So, yeah, I think it is somewhat newsworthy.

have we had any officially non-christian presidents? i, frankly, would be surprised if a serious candidate wasn't christian. the notable exception is, of course, lieberman, but it's along the same lines, and he ain't president yet.

It's a friggin discussion. If you don't like it don't like it.

I'm pondering why this story even had to be written. It's not like the fact he considers himself a Christian is a big secret or anything. Must be the slow news day for the Boston Globe.

:whistle:

Well anyway, if he picks up the Confederate flag wavers and fellow Christians to help put him in the White House in 2005, I'm for the campaign strategy.

The full story is here.

Seeking a new emphasis, Dean touts his Christianity

Southern campaign plans to increase religious references

By Sarah Schweitzer, Globe Staff, 12/25/2003

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Presidential contender Howard B. Dean, who has said little about religion while campaigning except to emphasize the separation of church and state, described himself in an interview with the Globe as a committed believer in Jesus Christ and said he expects to increasingly include references to Jesus and God in his speeches as he stumps in the South.

Dean, 55, who practices Congregationalism but does not often attend church and whose wife and children are Jewish, explained the move as a desire to share his beliefs with audiences willing to listen. His comments came as a rival, Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut, chastised other Democrats for forgetting ''that faith was central to our founding and remains central to our national purpose.''

The move is striking for a man who has steadfastly kept his personal life out of the campaign, rarely offering biographical information, much less his religious beliefs. But in the Globe interview, Dean said that Jesus was an important influence in his life and that he would probably share with some voters the model Jesus has served for him.

''Christ was someone who sought out people who were disenfranchised, people who were left behind,'' Dean said. ''He fought against self-righteousness of people who had everything . . . He was a person who set an extraordinary example that has lasted 2000 years, which is pretty inspiring when you think about it.''

He acknowledged that he was raised in the ''Northeast'' tradition of not discussing religious beliefs in public, and said he held back in New Hampshire, where that is the practice. But in other areas, such as the South, he said, he would discuss his beliefs more openly.

Well anyway, if he picks up the Confederate flag wavers and fellow Christians to help put him in the White House in 2005, I'm for the campaign strategy.

Thats surprising, even from you. Since when do you support misleading people. Dont say, why not since Bush does, because that wouldnt make it any better. Why back a christian candidate since one of the major arguments about Bush has been his religious status? Because hes a Dem?

Thats surprising, even from you. Since when do you support misleading people. Dont say, why not since Bush does, because that wouldnt make it any better. Why back a christian candidate since one of the major arguments about Bush has been his religious status? Because hes a Dem?

What's misleading? That he said he wants to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flag on their trucks? That he's a Christian? He is a Christian. There is nothing misleading about it. Clinton is a Christian too. Carter is a Christian too.

What am I supposed to do in the mean time--back nobody? There is no atheist alternative candidate for me to vote for or support. So either I have to tolerate Dean's religion or else I don't get him in the White House with the rest of his platform that I do like in many ways. I've said before that he is not the perfect candidate for every issue that I support--I am.

Dean also is very critical of those who use religion to preach hate, and has complained at the Pharisee-tendency of some of those in the Republican Party. He writes more about in Chapter 10 in his book.

Edited by Fotix

If they were Christians, one would hope to see more moral strength in them...Being able to do what is right. In stead of cheating on their wives, and supporting homosexuals.

i agree, but transgressions do not negate one's christianity. cheating on your wife is bad, but can be forgiven. supporting homosexuals... well that's just misguided in my interpretation of the bible. :blink:

i agree, but transgressions do not negate one's christianity. cheating on your wife is bad, but can be forgiven. supporting homosexuals... well that's just misguided in my interpretation of the bible.  :blink:

Forgiveness is not what is being discussed. Your interpretation isn't either. Someone who seeks to hold political office has to have a higher standing that simply making mistakes and moving on. The point is not to make the mistake. Having a higher accountability for your actions.

maybe its just me, but when was the last time we saw Bush attend a "christian" service... after all, he is a "born again" (whatever that is)... I just remember seeing all previous presidents and vices shown leaving or going to services in the news usually on major holidays, but never Bush... sure he could do some private thing, but if you ask me, its all BS

as for this Dean news, its just utter crap to rouse up the right wing nuts, by the same people who think that ?God made Bush elected?

hahaha what a pandering sack of crap, i guess next he'll come out that he was really for the war to try and shore up that pro-war vote :rofl:

yeah next he'll say we need to do more in the war on terrorism. And say we need to keep the economy going...

What's misleading? That he said he wants to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flag on their trucks? That he's a Christian? He is a Christian. There is nothing misleading about it. Clinton is a Christian too. Carter is a Christian too.

I was quoting your statement that it was a campaign strategy. If hes just a Christian to execute a campaign strategy then its misleading. Furthermore, one of the main arguments has been about Bush and his holy war, which already is a bunch of BS, but its one of the main arguments most aetheists/agnostics have against him. No big deal, I just find it amusing that folks who were complaining about his religion would back another candidate who follows the same religion. Its true the choices are limited, but its still funny.