Update path to Windows 10

Sorry for the possible duplicate post.

So let me start off...I DO HAVE a windows insider account.

I previously had Windows 7 Enterprise with a volumetric license key from an old company I worked for.

I DO HAVE  a Dreamspark account through my school, and I downloaded a copy of a windows pro insider Windows 10

I burned it to a CD an began the installation process because I ran it in a VM for a couple months and it worked pretty goo for me. Unfortunately for me it seemed to be only a 32 bit copy even though it said 64 bit (confirmed the size was only 2+gb and the 64 bit is just right under 4gb)

Now I found myself in a panic because I needed an OS so I decided to get a copy of a 64bt version from a torrent. Now I find myself with a good copy, all installed, but now not activated. (The 32 bit version didn't ask for a key but the torrent 64bit version did ask for a key)

Basically am I boned? Or because I have a pro insider account and it is linked to the account on this OS it will get a day 1 upgrade to full retail at launch?

Mind you, I only did this because of my Win7Enterprise and it not being upgraded on day 1. Thanks for all your help everyone!!

1st of all you should not be using enterprise software from a company that you no longer work for,

2nd do not ask for support for software that you have obtained illegally via torrents or other methods.

If you are still in school and have  valid dreamspark account then just wait for windows 10 to come there once its on GA but you should only be using it for testing

as thats what the dreamspark account is for, you are not supposed to be using the software in production environments.

and Just so you know you cannot upgrade any valid windows 7/8/8.1 enterprise to windows 10.

Just to make sure I don't soil my good name...

Downloading torrents isnt illegal, downloading illegal software via torrents is illegal.

Since Microsoft gives out the insider copy to all, would getting it via torrent be illegal?

that would depend. getting the latest build through a proper channel would be the insider website. I wouldn't go the former route.

However, if MSFT were to establish a route of the former, then that would probably be no problem. I always say, if it looks questionable, then don't do it.

Your Windows Enterprise key is not valid or legal, it belongs to the company you worked for. You won't be able to use it to get Windows 10 free. Not that it would have been valid anyway, Enterprise is not eligible for the free upgrade. You will need a legitimate copy of either Windows 7 or 8 Home or Pro edition.

We can't offer support for acquiring images via unofficial distribution channels. This includes torrents.

It seems that you want this software without paying anything. I think your best bet is to contact your campus Dreamspark administrator and let them know that the file they're serving is mislabeled, and request that the actual 64-bit version is made available via your campus Dreamspark site.

Unfortunately for me it seemed to be only a 32 bit copy even though it said 64 bit (confirmed the size was only 2+gb and the 64 bit is just right under 4gb)

You may also want first to double-check that it is mislabeled (look for Program Files (x86), or check Computer > Properties).

Ya it was 32 bit. Even told me I can only use 3 gb of ram.

So basically your telling me that Pro Insiders who have a Pro Insider copy will have to re install their OS for a gold?

Sorry for the possible duplicate post.

So let me start off...I DO HAVE a windows insider account.

I previously had Windows 7 Enterprise with a volumetric license key from an old company I worked for.

I DO HAVE  a Dreamspark account through my school, and I downloaded a copy of a windows pro insider Windows 10

I burned it to a CD an began the installation process because I ran it in a VM for a couple months and it worked pretty goo for me. Unfortunately for me it seemed to be only a 32 bit copy even though it said 64 bit (confirmed the size was only 2+gb and the 64 bit is just right under 4gb)

Now I found myself in a panic because I needed an OS so I decided to get a copy of a 64bt version from a torrent. Now I find myself with a good copy, all installed, but now not activated. (The 32 bit version didn't ask for a key but the torrent 64bit version did ask for a key)

Basically am I boned? Or because I have a pro insider account and it is linked to the account on this OS it will get a day 1 upgrade to full retail at launch?

Mind you, I only did this because of my Win7Enterprise and it not being upgraded on day 1. Thanks for all your help everyone!!

I am seeing a lot of emotional replies here.

If you want to legally test Windows 10 Pro Enterprise .. simply enter the enterprise pro key into your current Windows 10 OS and it will activate.

If you want to test Windows 7 Pro consumer edition then you will need to wait since the activation servers are being stress tested for upgrades and not for fresh installs.

Naturally you can change from one SKU to another within Windows.

You are allowed to test the Enterprise SKU until the first of October.

Meh, I'll just see if I can get a copy through work.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies!