Edge + no extension support = failed.

Edge - Extensions = Success. Edge + Extensions = Success. Do the math anyway you'll get the same result . Sure it may not have a majority (initially) but it will make an impact that'll felt by Google and Mozilla. Its just better and faster, that's it. Extensions will not matter but when they do arrive (what makes you think its a rumour OP?) they'll only boost the growth.

One thing is sure, we've lost patience. We blamed MS when we didn't get a new Insider build every week, we blamed them for not fixing bugs immediately (and yet we blamed them for releasing W10 early). Please WAIT. You should understand that if you want everything on Day 1, there wont actually be a Day 1 at all.

For those who are interested you can get adguard pretty cheap (until they change it, if they do)

1 Device - Lifetime sub - $49.95 / £28.07

If you pay in Russian Roubles and pay through paypal it works out much much cheaper. I did this and got a licence immediately :)

1 Device - Lifetime sub - $8.084 / £5.175

I can't wait for Edge to mature, seems like a very good browser so far :D

or just use the 180 days one, plenty of time until edges extensions come, more info on http://malwaretips.com/threads/adguard-5-9-1080-180-days-free.24406/

its a special version for http://www.comss.info

direct link is dl4.comss.ru/download/adguardStandaloneInstaller.exe or http://www.comss.ru/download/Adguard.html to download from there

after installed click on Extended Interface locate down left then make sure that in Settings -> Network you have "User WFD network driver", this is for enabling adblock for Metro apps (with Edge is)

Hardly a fail - simply a v1 product. I find it good enough for normal media consumption, though for development work I still use Chrome due to preferring the dev tools. I think Edge will turn out to be a nice product within 6 months. Given they are aiming for compatibility (or at least very simple conversion) with Chrome plugins, I would prefer they take their time and get it right. Making it that easy for devs to adapt their plugins will boost their marketshare.

There are still annoyances in there, such as the poor bookmark handling,  lack of sync between devices and so on, but it's just a matter of time. Edge is a solid start.

I use AdGuard for ad blocking, which runs seperately and blocks ads in all browsers, it's an excellent alternative to using extensions, as you can configure all your browsers and sites in the one UI.

How very bizzare of you classifying a new product as a fail because it lacks a feature. A feature that is coming soon even. Keep using your current browser? If after a year or more it lacks extension support, maybe then can a person judge it as a failure. 

How very bizzare of you classifying a new product as a fail because it lacks a feature. A feature that is coming soon even. Keep using your current browser? If after a year or more it lacks extension support, maybe then can a person judge it as a failure. 

A non-competitive product enters the market. It dies.

Chrome came into the market with other browsers trumping it 10 times over with features.  Now look at it.  So I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket just yet.

• Like 3

Blocking via the hosts file is an inefficient way to do ad blocking, I've always found it to slow down your connection. I prefer to do it through either Ad Muncher or a browser plugin, gives me more control over what I block and whitelist.

Adguard works fine with Microsoft Edge - I've got full ad blocking and userscripts working through it right now. The caveat there, of course, is that it isn't free. If you don't mind doing some beta testing, you can get a beta tester license for free. :)

For those who are interested you can get adguard pretty cheap (until they change it, if they do)

1 Device - Lifetime sub - $49.95 / £28.07

If you pay in Russian Roubles and pay through paypal it works out much much cheaper. I did this and got a licence immediately :)

1 Device - Lifetime sub - $8.084 / £5.175

I can't wait for Edge to mature, seems like a very good browser so far :D

Or you can become a beta tester and get a free beta tester license and get ad blocking working in Edge. ;)

Why does this even needed to be asked?

It's a one first generation product: of cause it's not going to have all the features of mature products.

That question that needs to be asked is: "How fast the development of the new browser will be?"

Chrome was an immature product going up against Firefox, a mature product, yet we know how that turned out.

The development of Firefox was too slow to address the threat that is Chrome.

Microsoft didn't develop IE all that quickly, even when it was obvious that they needed to, so it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Personally I'd like to see them open source Edge, collaborative development seems to be doing the Chromium project well.

I'll never use Edge. Simply because it's a Microsoft product. They've shown they aren't capable of making a decent browser. How many versions of Windows did we go through, before we got "edge"? I prefer Chrome or FireFox.

Anyways, nice job Brando!

In the English language, there's an idiom that said "Don't judge a book by its cover".

Chrome is dead! Oh, wait!

Edited by illegaloperation

Microsoft didn't develop IE all that quickly, even when it was obvious that they needed to, so it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

IE could have been competitive, but it was updated too infrequently.

Personally I'd like to see them open source Edge, collaborative development seems to be doing the Chromium project well.

Open source isn't the magic bullet you think it would be. Firefox is open sourced and what good did that do?

Mozilla don't have a lot of investment, Google and Microsoft do. Investing in open source has earned Google a hell of a lot of money, both with Chrome and Android.

Mozilla don't have a lot of investment, Google and Microsoft do. Investing in open source has earned Google a hell of a lot of money, both with Chrome and Android.

Android is barely open source

Can't really afford a sub at the moment. I'm unemployed currently so I have to be judicious about my spending. Does edge not have TPL support?

You can get a free license by signing up for beta testing on their forum. They accept anyone. 
I've been using a beta license for over a year now.

EDIT: Already mentioned by Boo Berry above. 

I don't mind not having plugins so much, but not having the TPL support IE has had for a while was a real head scratcher.  I liked that way of ad-blocking more than an addon/extension.  I do kinda miss some of the old accelerators (mainly searching highlighted text in Bing), but a few additional right-click commands would be nice.  By and large though, I like what I see for the most part.  Too much wasted space in the header/address bar, but that seems to be the style these days, unfortunately.

I am let down quite a bit with Edge. I know it will improve, but even the bookmarks system is INSANELY poorly made.

It isn't the end of the world to wait a month. It isn't like there is a lack in choices in the meantime. I really can't wait to shed Chrome and FF, but Edge just plain isn't finished. It is amazing it isn't bleeding source code.

Another RoboForm user here (since 2007). I couldn't even use Chrome for a while until it had proper RoboForm support (not the original "floating toolbar" they had before). Adblock is that huge deal to me tbh.

It isn't the end of the world to wait a month. It isn't like there is a lack in choices in the meantime. I really can't wait to shed Chrome and FF, but Edge just plain isn't finished. It is amazing it isn't bleeding source code.

what does that even mean?

what does that even mean?

That it is less complete and polished than something in Visual Basic. The engine is awesome, yea, but try the context menu on anything, or dragging a bookmark, or site favicons, or reopening a tab, or any myriad of other things that a current generation complete browser has without question.