Windows Phone Insider cannot get programs

TechAddict

Hi Guys,

So, here's the story. I have a lumia 640xl (8 gb and 2 gb free space. No sd card) which received the windows phone 8.1 update 2. 2 days ago, i decided to do a hard reset (just to start fresh). I went to insider page and signed up for the preview program, installed the windows insider app and when i click on get preview builds, I get this:

"A connection error prevented us from downloading programs for you. please check the date/time of your device and its network connection and try again."

Has anyone been having the same issue lately? Is there a fix for this?

Thanks

manthisyummiecookie

hi there!

I'm glad there's another one with this problem! So here's my story: I have a Lumia 1020 and was on W10M build 10166. So the update to 10512 came and I started the update. The update went wrong and I got the "sad smiley". Then I used WPRT to go back to 8.1

I then installed the updates to get to Denim but there is now one (8.1) update that cannot be installed. It starts with the spinning cogs and doesn't go over...let's say 30%. Then the phone restarts and it shows the error "The update was not sucessful. It's only probably temporary - please try again later".

But it never works. And now if I go into the Windows Insider app and hit the button for checking preview versions, it displays "A connection error prevented us from downloading programs for you. please check the date/time of your device and its network connection and try again."
'

• Like 1
TechAddict

Glad I'm the only one and not glad that we're having this problem. It's getting a bit frustrating and would we great if someone has a solution.

• Like 1
Steven P.

Make sure your Region/Timezone is correct, if your phone was imported (like mine was) it is set to the country of origin, mine gets put to Singapore when it is hard reset, but I live in The Netherlands (Europe). Just updating the time and date isn't enough.

manthisyummiecookie

my phone was bought in Germany and my region is set to Austria, because I live in Austria. After my hard reset I set it to Austria. It was always that way

TechAddict

Same here. Bought it on a contract here in Australia and Region/Timezone is set to Australia and UTC+10. :/

manthisyummiecookie

so we can only wait and hope that there will be a solution someday?

vcfan

do you have "set date and time automatically" on?

manthisyummiecookie

i tried it on, I tried it off, I tried change the date to some date in the future AND in the past. nothing works

manthisyummiecookie

any ideas? please help. I don't wanna stay with 8.1

• 2 years later...
Amoako Khacmiel
On 8/15/2015 at 10:40 PM, TechAddict said:

Hi Guys,

So, here's the story. I have a lumia 640xl (8 gb and 2 gb free space. No sd card) which received the windows phone 8.1 update 2. 2 days ago, i decided to do a hard reset (just to start fresh). I went to insider page and signed up for the preview program, installed the windows insider app and when i click on get preview builds, I get this:

"A connection error prevented us from downloading programs for you. please check the date/time of your device and its network connection and try again."

Has anyone been having the same issue lately? Is there a fix for this?

Thanks

yeah exactly am also facing the same problem

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By eRajesh
      Google Phone app could soon gain Caller ID announcement and other new features
      by Rajesh Pandey

Google expanded the availability of its Google Phone app along with the Verified Calls feature to more non-Pixel devices earlier this month. Now, the company is working on some new features for its dialer app to further increase its usefulness.

The first option in testing is called 'Caller ID announcement' and as the name suggests, it would lead to the phone app reading out the incoming caller's name or number. Another new feature in the works is the option to automatically delete Call Screen transcripts and recordings after 30 days. Call Screen is only available in the United States and Canada so this feature is going to be handy for a limited number of users. Nonetheless, if you rely on Call Screen heavily, the option to delete its transcripts automatically after every 30 days will be a handy addition.

Lastly, the app will be gaining a new 'Saved voicemails' shortcut in the Voicemail tab to let users quickly access their saved voicemails.

These features are still under testing from Google but they should make their way to the Phone app in the coming weeks presumably around the time the Pixel 5 hits the stores.

• By Abhay V
      Google Phone app to expand to more devices this week, also brings Verified Calls
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Google began rolling out the Verified Calls feature for the Google Phone app back in June. The feature helps users identify unknown callers by vetting businesses and providing caller information for verified businesses, including the reason for the call. This reduces the likelihood of users falling prey to scam calls. However, the feature was available only for Pixel devices running the Phone app.

While the beta version of the Phone app began being made available to more Android devices last month, the Verified Calls feature was still exclusive to the search giant’s own phones. That is soon changing, as the company has announced that the Phone app will be made available to more Android devices later this week, which will also bring the Verified Calls feature.

The firm says that it piloted the feature with customers for a few months and noticed that it “improves the likelihood of someone answering a call”, especially for calls relating to bank transactions and other services. It adds that this feature, in addition to the Verified SMS feature helps users identify and trust communication from brands.

Verified Calls will make it to users in the U.S., Mexico, Brazil, Spain, and India as part of its initial rollout. The firm adds that it will be expanding availability to more regions soon, but did not specify the devices that will receive the feature. It is also conducting a special session during its Google Cloud Next ‘20 On Air online event series for partners and businesses to understand the feature.

• By eRajesh
      Google Phone app beta can now be installed on most Android smartphones
      by Rajesh Pandey

The latest Google Phone beta app is now compatible with most Android devices out there. The dialer app comes pre-installed on Pixel, Android One, and select Xiaomi devices sold in the EU. Google had expanded the availability of the Google Phone app to some non-Pixel devices earlier this year, but the app was only compatible with a handful of devices. With the latest beta though, the Google Phone app can now be installed on smartphones from OnePlus, Samsung, and even Huawei as reported by Android Police and users on Reddit.

To install the Google Phone app on your Android device, you must first join the beta program of the app. After that, you will be able to install the beta app on your device. The app is not showing up in Play Store search results on mobile so you will have to install it from the web by using a direct link. The app listing suggests it should be compatible with Android devices running Nougat or a newer build of Android.

I successfully managed to install the Google Phone app on my Galaxy S20+ and set it as default replacing the stock Samsung Phone app. The dialer app has worked fine so far without any issues. Sadly, you will not be getting access to features like Call Screen and Verified Calls as they still remain exclusive to Google's Pixel lineup.

Source: Android Police

• By eRajesh
      Google Phone gets Verified Calls to let you know why a business is calling
      by Rajesh Pandey

Google is rolling out a new Verified Calls feature for the Phone app to let a user know that they are receiving a call from a business and the reason behind it. The company explains that the Verified Calls feature is meant to avoid scams and fraud calls by verifying the identity of the business that is calling, display their reason for calling as well as their business logo. All these details will be shown on the incoming call screen so a user knows that they are receiving a genuine call from a business and its purpose without picking the phone up. Google also confirms that a user's private data is not shared with the businesses at any time during this process.

Verified Calls are different from call screening as in the latter, Assistant screens the calls after it is picked up. The former requires businesses to send their phone number, the phone number they are calling, and the reason they are calling like "Scheduling your internet installation." This information is then relayed by Google's server to the Phone app on your device. Then, when the business calls you, Google compares the incoming call information with the one provided by the business and then shows it on the Phone app. Within a few minutes of the verification being completed, Google will delete your phone number and the reason for calling from its servers.

The Verified Calls feature is turned on by default provided you have the Google Phone app on your device and have your number linked to your Google account.

Source: Android Police

• By Richard C.
      As topic title says, the setting app itself opens and works fine, however when I ever I try and click "data usage" the app closes silently.

A log is shown of it now workning in reliability, and I've posted it here.

I've tried running dism and it says it found no corruption, I've tried using an alternate user account, and I've tried using the windows update troubleshooter, they all say everything is fine. 

Any idea on what to do next?