Ubuntu 16.04 Design concept

Gorgeous! I love minimalistic flat/paper designs. So elegant. Google's Material design is very nice too.

I noticed that the dash popout is very navigation drawer like ;)

the taskbar apps look so nice i really wanna see that implemented. 

Well, it doesn't look like Linux, so i'd call it a win!

you bring that often don't you? the latest of gnome and kde have proven that just because it's linux it does not have to look bad! 

It looks great. It looks like Google's Material Design meets Microsoft's Modern design.

Looks nice, but when I click on the start button, the apps must appear, not a message saying "do you want me to show you the apps?" well, I presses the apps b button you idiots, yes, I do want to see the apps, no, I do not want you to sing me the national anthem or show me sexy girls when I press the start button (although will not mind to have them in the background), but I need to see the apps right a way and organize them.

But again, you have to be crazy to work for free, and Linux is a result of a lot of people who worked for free, so the stupidity there is on every level.

Stupendously Hot Charmander!

It's a shame that it was fan made, and not a concept by Canonical. I actually wish this type of concept would become reality.

Damn. I thought that it looked too good to actually come from them.

There is something that I am not getting, where are the PSD or the original files?

The design is nice, but is that's it? just someone posts half a photo on the internet? and then what? keeps the designs on his machine forever? :)

Very beautiful, but I hope to see that sidebar gone, I'd rather use a dock, even if I'm so used to the Windows-style taskbar.

Is 16.04 going to support the new Linux File System?

This just looks awesome. I'm wanting to run Linux more and more. Maybe thats what I'll do with my old system.

What 'new linux file system'? Pretty sure ubuntu 14 and 15 supports ext2, ext3, ext4, btrfs, jfs, ntfs-3g, fat16, fat32, exfat, hfs/hfs+ (read only), so what's it missing?

What 'new linux file system'? Pretty sure ubuntu 14 and 15 supports ext2, ext3, ext4, btrfs, jfs, ntfs-3g, fat16, fat32, exfat, hfs/hfs+ (read only), so what's it missing?

BcacheFS probably, little early for day to day usage.

This could easily be done in Gnome with some tweaks and extensions. Dash to dock extension obviously. Possibly a new extension would need to be written for a similar dash. (Unless there is one already. Think I've seen something like it.) The notification menus etc would also need to be modified by extensions. The rest is just plain and simple CSS.

Volunteering one's time and efforts is just crazy, right? For sure, working on an open source software project, helping folks after a natural disaster, looking for a lost child, etc. It's like... hey, what's in it for me? People who do that are just stupid, aren't they?

Ok, I am taking my words back :)

But still, I wanted Linux to succeed since I heard about the first release many, many years ago, and all that hope went away after installing the product

For a product to succeeded the product needs to be simple, easy to understand, well structured, produce results with the minimum user interaction, automated when possible, etc

Look at today's cars, Fully automatic, I know there are some people who love manual, and would love if you get them 3 more pedals to control the motor oils, and 20 new buttons to control traction and who knows what. (I call that combination Crazy Ideas) and for some reason, the only people contributing to these software are the people with the "Crazy Ideas" :)

It looks good, and certainly it could be done.

BUT ... well ... hmm ...

The first thing I see, and this is purely the technical side ... it's going to require Client-side decorations and they'll need to be streamlined. Right now, that situation is something of a mess, and not all applications are using the same form factor. It'll be a lot of work to get applications looking the same way. Getting Firefox (for example) to look and behave as expected shouldn't be that big of an issue, there are plenty of extensions to make it do what we want and most of those are easily skinnable.

Nautilus/Files can run off the GTK+ stuff, and since we'll likely be using a custom job for the skin engine, no problem. Aurora, Numix, they have their own too. It's getting other applications to obey it; and sometimes, the results vary. We want a unified (no pun intended) experience across all applications, and that'll take time.

Gnome-Shell GTK3+ will come quickly, I think.

Cinnamon stuff is a variant of GTK+, and is easily ported over, so no problem there. Should look great.

KDE/Plasma will take some effort, as expected.

XFCE/Metacity GTK2+3 Port will likely be troublesome without compositing, but I don't know anyone who isn't using that now.

So yeah. It can be done, it'll just be a dedicated effort.

About if it can be done, I think the first thing Linux should do it to throw away all these UI engines and to simply implement Html5 layer as the desktop, and an Html 5 Layer for each Window, or perhaps one empty Html 5 layer as the User Interface and put everything in it.

Too many libraries, too many fragments, 20 years old ideas, tons of issues, all together = Linux

The User Interface should disconnect from the underlying mess, Html 5 have proven itself over and over, it needs to be implemented once and the rest is kids work; otherwise, continue to strugle

It looks good, and certainly it could be done.

BUT ... well ... hmm ...

The first thing I see, and this is purely the technical side ... it's going to require Client-side decorations and they'll need to be streamlined. Right now, that situation is something of a mess, and not all applications are using the same form factor. It'll be a lot of work to get applications looking the same way. Getting Firefox (for example) to look and behave as expected shouldn't be that big of an issue, there are plenty of extensions to make it do what we want and most of those are easily skinnable.

Nautilus/Files can run off the GTK+ stuff, and since we'll likely be using a custom job for the skin engine, no problem. Aurora, Numix, they have their own too. It's getting other applications to obey it; and sometimes, the results vary. We want a unified (no pun intended) experience across all applications, and that'll take time.

Gnome-Shell GTK3+ will come quickly, I think.

Cinnamon stuff is a variant of GTK+, and is easily ported over, so no problem there. Should look great.

KDE/Plasma will take some effort, as expected.

XFCE/Metacity GTK2+3 Port will likely be troublesome without compositing, but I don't know anyone who isn't using that now.

So yeah. It can be done, it'll just be a dedicated effort.

About if it can be done, I think the first thing Linux should do it to throw away all these UI engines and to simply implement Html5 layer as the desktop, and an Html 5 Layer for each Window, or perhaps one empty Html 5 layer as the User Interface and put everything in it.

Too many libraries, too many fragments, 20 years old ideas, tons of issues, all together = Linux

The User Interface should disconnect from the underlying mess, Html 5 have proven itself over and over, it needs to be implemented once and the rest is kids work; otherwise, continue to strugle

The background comes from Plasma (it is, in fact, the default in 16.04 alpha 2 Kubuntu).  Name ONE DE that is based on HTML of any sort.  The last company that got serious about using HTML was Microsoft (and Active Desktop way back with 9x and NT4) - and they got severely whacked for it simply because it was different.  Even though there are a lot of leftovers of the original AD effort still in Windows today (the use of JPG  as the wallpaper default is one of them), complacency is even more of a watchword with Linux distributions than it is with even Windows.

And except for the most lightweight of desktop environments, every DE uses compositing of some sort (mostly because GPUs are powerful enough, even at the portable-computing level, that compositing is basically free in terms of resources - Windows 10 Core is a rather large datapoint, as compositing is actually standard).