Had a customer ask my why they should upgrade to Windows 10

I was just finishing up a remote repair job on a customers computer who is probably in her late 60's early 70s. She had Windows 7 and told me she read on the local news paper about Windows 10 and asked me if she should upgrade. I told her yes. But then she asked me What benefits does windows 10 has and why she should upgrade.

I Couldn't answer her. I was like... um. well.. I can't really think of any. I told her , I mean if you had Windows 8 it's a great upgrade and easier to use, but for windows 7 ... I really don't know. I could think of a lot of new things Windows 10 had, but none of them would improve her life.

I could be wrong here, but isn't Win 7 end of support now? Depending on how computer literate she is, the benefit of being on a supported platform and all the fixes etc that come with it may be a good benefit. 

I'm not sure you meant it quite as literal as I'm taking it, but I can't think of how any OS would "improve" anyone's "life" so maybe you're looking at it wrong?

That's okay. Windows 10 isn't for everyone. Even as a techsavvy user myself, I don't think I would've upgraded if DirectX 12 and WDDM 2.0 was coming to Windows 8.1.

• Like 3

I could be wrong here, but isn't Win 7 end of support now? Depending on how computer literate she is, the benefit of being on a supported platform and all the fixes etc that come with it may be a good benefit. 

I'm not sure you meant it quite as literal as I'm taking it, but I can't think of how any OS would "improve" anyone's "life" so maybe you're looking at it wrong?

Well, not so much to improve her live, but she asked me why she could upgrade.

That's exactly what I told her.

I said the only thing I could think of is support for Windows 7 ends in 2020 support for Windows 10 ends in 2025. So there's that.

Well, not so much to improve her live, but she asked me why she could upgrade.

That's exactly what I told her.

I said the only thing I could think of is support for Windows 7 ends in 2020 support for Windows 10 ends in 2025. So there's that.

Ah 2020, I thought it was now but having checked that's mainstream is now, extended is 2020 so It's hardly an argument really.

I'm sure it's debatable but I personally found 8 to be a faster OS then 7, and I don't think I've found 10 to be slower in anyway although it could be masked by me switching from 8.1 and a HDD to 10 and an SSD. So performance could be a plus, if you agree with me on that at least.

I would probably say to her do not upgrade to Windows 10 just yet. The OS seems like a beta OS and it has a fair way to go before it becomes a solid OS, Like Windows 8.1 now is. Their are advantages such as direct x12 and so but I would wait until it gets to a point where is becoming a lot more solid.

Even though there aren't any upgrades that would improve her life, I would suggest upgrading purely because it's free but only for a year. Advise her that if she wants to upgrade in the future she may have to pay. 

It has the same system requirements so I can't see any downsides to upgrading. There'll be more support for apps in future. 

I would also say it takes care of upgrades and updates so she doesn't have to worry about security risks.

Well if this person can understand computers, maybe she could start using virtual desktops, or the notification center. Also the settings app is a lot cleaner and maybe she could take advantage of the four corner snap thing. How about Cortana? Honestly, these are really useful features once you get in the mood of using them. It becomes part of a daily computing way. I mean what did Windows 7 have over Windows XP? Speed and security, but the features that I use most often from W7 are snap and search. 

It's the little details that matter and make the experience more comfortable. Maybe she likes smoother animations. I know it sounds silly, but details really do count.

In all honesty it depends. If they are a gamer, then you cite DirectX 12. If they use Windows based mobile devices, then you cite ineroperability with so-called "Universal apps" other than that, I can't think of any either unless its a really older PC then you cite that Windows 10 is likely to use less resources overall than previous Windows versions. 

Since 8 is lighter than 7, 8.1 lighter than 8, and 10 supposedly lighter than 8.1 it could benefit older computers more than 7 if the drivers are decent enough. 

A lot of stuff is more dumbed down with less advanced option panels as well, so that could also benefit a novice type. 

From Windows 7 I would suggest

1) More secure

2) the Windows Store makes it easy to add remove programs without worrying about installing anything sketchy

3) OneDrive backups for pictures & documents

4) Application & Settings backup tied to a Microsoft Account in case their laptop goes or they get a new one in the future.

• Like 3

Let's put it this way, if you recommend that she upgrades, when she (inevitably) has to learn how to do all the new methods of doing things, she is going to come to you.  For us power-users, adapting to new things is easy, but for most of the older generations, it's going to be frustrating as hell figuring everything out.

You'll gain nothing by recommending the upgrade, but you will potentially be in for a lot of frustrated phones calls from that person.  Unless that equates to more $$ in your pocket, I wouldn't do it.

• Like 2

For me, I do my best to understand the needs of each one of my customers. You probably do this as well, WW. For instance, if all this woman does with a computer is work with email, Facebook, and surf the internet, then a Chromebook or even an iPad would serve her needs much better. Honestly, most people don't need such a complex operating system as Windows.

http://techguylabs.com/episodes/1196/should-i-buy-chromebook

For me, I do my best to understand the needs of each one of my customers. You probably do this as well, WW. For instance, if all this woman does with a computer is work with email, Facebook, and surf the internet, then a Chromebook or even an iPad would serve her needs much better. Honestly, most people don't need such a complex operating system as Windows.

I wouldn't want to be your customer then.

Customer: Should I get this free upgrade to Windows 10?
You: You don't need all that. How about buying an iPad or a Chromebook?

• Like 3

Well if this person can understand computers, maybe she could start using virtual desktops, or the notification center. Also the settings app is a lot cleaner and maybe she could take advantage of the four corner snap thing. How about Cortana? Honestly, these are really useful features once you get in the mood of using them. It becomes part of a daily computing way. I mean what did Windows 7 have over Windows XP? Speed and security, but the features that I use most often from W7 are snap and search. 

It's the little details that matter and make the experience more comfortable. Maybe she likes smoother animations. I know it sounds silly, but details really do count.

Correct, although she would use none of that. Honestly for most people the only benefit between XP and Windows 7 is security and even that don't even know they are getting that. That's why so many people stay with XP. It just works. Same reason I didn't put Windows 10 yet on my Quickbooks Computer which is currently running Windows 7. Because all I have on that computer is Quickbooks and it just works. That being said if Windows 7 had reached End of life, then yes I would upgrade.

DirectX 12 is the only compelling reason. Given her age, I don't think she's a gamer. Let her stay on Windows 7 which is tried and true, and wait for Windows 10 to mature. 

standard support is end of support Jan 2015, but extended support on all flavours of W7 is 2020 buddy, it has 5yrs worth of patch cycles and fixes to go.

@Warwagon, you were spot on buddy, good to see some genuine and honest PC repairers still around.

or she sticks with what she all-ready has and is comfortable with for a cost of £0 and no change. 

Id stand on the side on the NO vote all that I have seen suggested so far will Im sure have little use for the Lady in question and given her age understanding a different desktop and methodology may be confusing.If she is quite happy with Windows 7,how it works and its secure against viruses etc then I see no good reason to have her change.

Windows 7 doesn't have the self repairing file system that win8 and 10 have.  So, security, reliability, and base feature upgrades should be enough.  Not to mention, the extension of support...7 will eventually stop being supported.

It might not change a casual users life much, but it will still help.

Windows 7 doesn't have the self repairing file system that win10 said.  So, security, reliability, and base feature upgrades should be enough.  Not to mention, the extension of support...7 will eventually stop being supported.

Well as far as support it's not over until no updates are being supported and that wont' happen for another 5 years. I actually can see Microsoft retracting and letting people upgrade any 7 or 8 machine past the 1 year. Their main goal is to get everyone on Windows 10 so why limit it to 1 year.