Solus OS boots in 1.2 seconds

Linux based Solus OS has improved its boot time significantly. The Solus developers were working to reduce the boot time of the distro since few weeks, trying to bring it down to 3 seconds, but they have achieved a remarkable 1.2-second feat.

Solus OS is a Linux distro that was built from scratch and uses a new desktop environment called Budgie. You can consider it as the next version of the Solus OS as it was built by the same developer team, so they didn’t bother changing the name for a new operating system.

Though with the arrival of SSD drives and increased RAMs, users didn’t much care about the boot time of the OS since the overall procedure for booting was reduced. But Solus OS had definitely made a remarkable progress in boot time and now average systems without SSD also can boot in seconds with Solus OS.

The Solus OS has not been completed yet. It is in its final stages. The developer team has asked for a few months for a stable release of the Solus. Just a few last stage adjustments and keeping track with the schedule, the developers are getting ready to make it a stable launch.

Wow, this is really impressive. I wanted to try the daily iso a few times, but always gave up because the thought of installing all my favorite apps from source (well, those missing from the software center anyway) is painful. But I think I will give it a shot in October when the stable release is due. 

What do you guys think of this project?

Source 

Sounds interesting, but any base distro will boot that fast. Nothing Like Ubuntu, but Arch, Debian, should have less stuff to start up with.

this sounds interesting indeed, i will try it out - can't believe the 1,2 seconds, i never get really short boot times even not when using hibernation.

Sounds interesting, but any base distro will boot that fast. Nothing Like Ubuntu, but Arch, Debian, should have less stuff to start up with.

That's just the thing, it's not just a base distro. I played with the live iso last night, it has a lot of apps already built-in and it looks very nice. I was actually surprised to see it look almost exactly like my elementary setup, since it uses both my theme and my icon theme (Ark and Faba-mono). I didn't get the 1.2 seconds boot, since I don't have a SSD, but it booted REALLY fast compared to elementary (about 5 seconds I think).

I installed it

it said the installer had completed it rebooted and failed to boot. not great lol

I installed it

it said the installer had completed it rebooted and failed to boot. not great lol

you can download it already? source claims its not finished yet. do you have a link? 

I installed it

Beta or daily iso? Do you get some error? Maybe some UEFI issue...

I installed it

I got the same thing. It said it had installed successfully so I shut it down and removed the .iso from the virtual drive. Now I'm just staring at a blank screen.

Oh well, I was only installing it to have a look. The live version allowed me to do that, and while it looks nice it seems quite bare. I don't really have a big enough interest to keep trying, but if that 1.2 second boot time is true then that's really impressive.

Ubuntu *is* Debian-based.  There are some forks; however, there are other Debian-based distros that include more of them.

Beta or daily iso? Do you get some error? Maybe some UEFI issue...

the daily

no errors just said cant boot, will try it again later

Ubuntu *is* Debian-based.  There are some forks; however, there are other Debian-based distros that include more of them.

Yes, until they put all the crap into the thing....

1.2 seconds isn't that fast, I expected linux to boot faster :/ 

Booting windows 10 in 2.2 seconds.

Well I guess not all of us have the Enterprise as their main desktop :p My elementary OS (which is a lightweight distro) boots in 15-20 seconds on a dual-core and 4gb of ram. Windows? More than that, obviously. So, for me, the 4-5 seconds I was talking about earlier are a BIG leap. :)

1.2 seconds isn't that fast, I expected linux to boot faster :/ 

Booting windows 10 in 2.2 seconds.

What are you booting on to get 2.2 seconds? Can you do a video to show us the boot, would be amazing to see.

What are you booting on to get 2.2 seconds? Can you do a video to show us the boot, would be amazing to see.

Probably from standby ;)

My i7-5960x workstation with 32GB of DDR4 and an 850 Pro cannot boot that fast.

grabbed the daily from another mirror and its working fine now

take around 5 second to boot

thats on a full sata 3 SSD, i5 CPU and 8gb ram

1.2 seconds  my ass lol

Zenbook pro with pcie ssd :p

And keep in mind I only counted the windows boot(bios logo shows for 1 second)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJSHKXdUNgc

Can't complain about boot time :p

Keep in mind windows boots faster since windows 8 because of some pagefile tricks, a full restart makes my system boot slower(3.8 sec).

• Like 2