New camera recommendations

Hey guys i currently have a regular point and shoot sony dsc-wx9 looking to upgrade it to either a mirror less or bridge. Have budget between $300 & $400 max.

Will use it for vacation shots, regular family pics and ocational motor sports events.

I dont mind open box or very lightly used deals.

I have been looking at the sony a3000

$0.02 appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

depends on what you intend to do. A Canon 5D MarkIII or Nikon D800E 36.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) 36 MP and top of the line now for DSLR's.

Or an entry level Canon Rebel system or Nikon system. I would lean on recommending a full frame sensor system like 5D MarkII which should be a lot less than the MarkIII. But full frame sensor DSLR's give you a large range of abilities to print pictures up to 60inches x40inches minimum. 

Canon 5D MarkII

Canon 5D MarkIII

APS-C systems, smaller sensors and smaller print abilities

Canon SLI1 package deal

Canon EOS Rebel T5 18MP

best wishes in your search, my mentors taught me one thing: a Camera doesn't make the photographer, you do. read books, and when you meet pro photographers, pick their brains.. that's how i got to be where I am. and practice, practise and practise.

Chris J 1968

• 3 weeks later...

depends on what you intend to do. A Canon 5D MarkIII or Nikon D800E 36.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) 36 MP and top of the line now for DSLR's.

Or an entry level Canon Rebel system or Nikon system. I would lean on recommending a full frame sensor system like 5D MarkII which should be a lot less than the MarkIII. But full frame sensor DSLR's give you a large range of abilities to print pictures up to 60inches x40inches minimum. 

Canon 5D MarkII

Canon 5D MarkIII

APS-C systems, smaller sensors and smaller print abilities

Canon SLI1 package deal

Canon EOS Rebel T5 18MP

best wishes in your search, my mentors taught me one thing: a Camera doesn't make the photographer, you do. read books, and when you meet pro photographers, pick their brains.. that's how i got to be where I am. and practice, practise and practise.

Chris J 1968

Those cameras are too much for OP's budget..

OP, So here it is:

http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-cameras-under-500

Those cameras are too much for OP's budget..

OP, So here it is:

http://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-cameras-under-500

oh that's fine. I was just giving you some ballpark ideas. I had to use my disability backpay to spring the for 5dmarkII. though my wife thought after all the surgeries, which makes her a wife of women, she thought I went through hell and I got the 5DMarkII and still had thousands left over. But a friend photographer told me  the camera doesn't make the photographer.

oh that's fine. I was just giving you some ballpark ideas. I had to use my disability backpay to spring the for 5dmarkII. though my wife thought after all the surgeries, which makes her a wife of women, she thought I went through hell and I got the 5DMarkII and still had thousands left over. But a friend photographer told me  the camera doesn't make the photographer.

No problem.

well the op never returned :laugh: 

Yeah because the thread had no replies for a month before we replied to the thread.

OP had been waiting so long so I guess he/she gave up.  :laugh:

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-18-55mm-Black-Discontinued/dp/B002OEBTC8

This is one I bought about 6 years ago (paid $650 then) and I still use it from time to time. Takes beautiful pictures. 

It would be an nice but inexpensive upgrade to what you have now. 

Hasselblad H4D-200  j/k

And then he can ride around in this and take selfies while doing 250 mph. :shiftyninja::D

http://www.hrowen.co.uk/bugatti/new-cars/veyron-grand-sport/

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Fedora 31 will reach its end of life next Tuesday
      by Paul Hill

The Fedora Project has announced that Fedora 31 will reach its end of life on 24 November 2020. The announcement comes just weeks after the launch of Fedora 33 which included GNOME 3.38 and BTRFS as the default file system.

After next Tuesday, Fedora 31 will stop receiving vital security updates leaving your system open to exploitation as new vulnerabilities are discovered. To make sure that your system stays protected, you should upgrade to a later version; to do this, simply open Software and go to the Updates tab, there you should see a bigger banner offering you a Fedora upgrade.

Once you begin the upgrade with this method, the required files will be downloaded and then your system will ask to reboot to install the files in a similar fashion to how normal updates work. When the upgrade is complete, the system will automatically reboot into the new release.

In the Fedora documentation, it says:

If you do not want to upgrade your system, you also have the option of downloading a fresh copy of Fedora 33 which was released last month. Whether you upgrade your system or do a clean install, ensure that you’ve backed up all of your important files.

• By zikalify
      Linux Mint 20 upgrade path opens up for existing users
      by Paul Hill

Clem Lefebvre, head of the Linux Mint project, has announced that users on Linux Mint 19.3 (64-bit) can upgrade to version 20 without doing a clean installation. The option is helpful for those who don’t want to re-install and re-configure their systems but it also comes with more risk than doing a clean install.

According to the announcement, only users with a 64-bit Mint installation will be able to upgrade, this is because Linux Mint 20 is only available for 64-bit systems. If your computer is running a 32-bit version of Mint 19.x you can keep it till it expires in April 2023.

If you want to upgrade, the Linux Mint team has put together a handy upgrade tutorial which will guide you through preparing your system, the upgrade process, and the minimal clean-up required post-upgrade. If you’re intent on upgrading, be sure to read the appropriate release notes before cautiously following the upgrade instructions.

As mentioned earlier, Linux Mint 19.x releases are supported until April 2023 which is still a long way off so don’t be in a hurry to upgrade if everything works for you.

• By PGHammer
      Just tripped over this - and darn near face-faulted. It is (right now) one of the cheapest upgrades to a 5G-capable phone; it comes unlocked, and it does NOT cost $500 - despite it being from (of all folks) Samsung.  It's the Samsung S20 5G (upgrade from a working Galaxy S7) for $489USD from Samsung.com's Samsung Unlocked group.

Why I qualify - I went sideways from the S7 to my Pixel 3a last year; I have kept the S7 up; it still works fine, and is my 3a's backup.

The SIM issue - What issue?  The S7 I left, the Pixel 3a, and the S20 5G take the same-size SIM.  Further, I use T-Mobile's towers (which means I can use T-Mobile's mmWave 5G - which said Samsung supports).  Had I been still on Verizon's network (which said S7 came from) I would be out of luck (since Verizon uses a different sort of 5G); however, I moved from one carrier to the other due to LTE - not 5G, issues.  (Tracfone uses the networks of both carriers, and permits movement from one to the other via SIM swapping at no charge.)

The flaw - Yes; there is a flaw.  I can't get the phone in black.  (My 3a is in black.)  However, I CAN get it in PRODUCT (RED) - at no extra charge.  (Usually, this colorway costs extra.)

Basically, this will be a better backup (phone).  (Remember, the Qualcomm S7s are out of upgrade options and are stuck on Android 8; the S20s, however, ship with Android 10 out of the box; even if 5G is not an issue; it's still a better backup phone than the S7 would be.
    • By zikalify
      GCHQ: It's time to ditch Windows 7 if you want to stay safe online
      by Paul Hill

The UK’s GCHQ has warned that people should stop using Windows 7 for internet banking and emails from Tomorrow. Microsoft will be ending its extended support for the operating system which was launched back in October of 2009. According to The Telegraph, more than 440 million people around the world are still using Windows 7.

Windows 10 Home, the edition aimed at casual users, costs $139/£119 if you purchase it from Microsoft’s website. The firm recommends that users jump to Windows 10, however, if you're still on Windows 8.1, that will be supported until 2023.

Commenting on the discontinuation of support for Windows 7, a spokesperson from the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), which is part of GCHQ, said:

Similarly to Windows XP, Windows 7 has been one of the people’s favourite releases of Windows. It came after the heavily delayed Windows Vista which had a bad reputation at launch because of its performance on computers back then. Microsoft was offering free upgrades to Windows 10 several years ago to those on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, however, there were still a lot of holdouts who decided to stick with Windows 7 – many of those will have to decide what they’ll do from tomorrow.

While your computer should run Windows 10 well if it could handle Windows 7, you may find that some of your hardware is incompatible. In order to keep that hardware out of a landfill for a bit longer, you could try out a lightweight Linux distribution such as Lubuntu, an official Ubuntu flavour, or Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce.

Source: The Telegraph

• By zikalify
      Virgin Media customers receive free speed boost with M100 package [Update]
      by Paul Hill

Virgin Media has announced that more than a million customers will receive a free boost to its M100 broadband package. The rollout, which begins today, will see customers receive an average download speed of 108Mbps – that’s twice as fast as the UK average.

If you’re one of the eligible customers for the speed increase, Virgin Media will send a notification to you once the upgrade has been completed. As this is a gift to users, those eligible will not have to pay any more money than they’re currently paying. It said many customers could see their download speeds double and even increase fivefold for those with lower speeds.

Commenting on the news, Annie Brooks, Executive Director of Connectivity at Virgin Media, said:

With the M100 connection, Virgin Media customers will be able to download an HD film (5GB) in just over seven minutes, while Fortnite on Xbox (31.4GB) will download in less than 45 minutes. As more people shift to streaming for TV and game consumption faster internet speeds will be necessary.

Update: Virgin Media provided Neowin with the following comment about the upgrade: