[Official] Star Trek: Discovery Thread

Well, I found season 3 to be really bad.  I didn't like the way it ended up either.  Saru was the last interesting character, admittedly not nearly captain material though, but they've gotten rid of him, at least as a character on the ship it seems.  I'm not liking that Michael is captain now and I'm wondering if she'll keep Tilly as her first officer which was a really bad move by Saru, but they barely let us know any of the other bridge officers (I couldn't even probably give you names on most of them), so of course they'd pick her.  They really need to give more character development rather than making it the Michael Burnham show.  They attempted to do that with Saru's dinner episode, but they really messed that one up and made it more about everyone not getting along.  Unless they vastly improve in season 4, I don't think I'll be watching this anymore.

5 minutes ago, kjordan2001 said:

Well, I found season 3 to be really bad.  I didn't like the way it ended up either.  Saru was the last interesting character, admittedly not nearly captain material though, but they've gotten rid of him, at least as a character on the ship it seems.  I'm not liking that Michael is captain now and I'm wondering if she'll keep Tilly as her first officer which was a really bad move by Saru, but they barely let us know any of the other bridge officers (I couldn't even probably give you names on most of them), so of course they'd pick her.  They really need to give more character development rather than making it the Michael Burnham show.  They attempted to do that with Saru's dinner episode, but they really messed that one up and made it more about everyone not getting along.  Unless they vastly improve in season 4, I don't think I'll be watching this anymore.

I quite enjoyed this season.  They only really thing that bugged me was Booker's "morphing" ship.  I have no problem with Michael as acting captain or Tilly being the first officer.

Agreed, there needs to be a little more character development but being they like to do each season as a story arch it makes it a little harder to spend time on the crew.

12 minutes ago, primortal said:

I quite enjoyed this season.  They only really thing that bugged me was Booker's "morphing" ship.  I have no problem with Michael as acting captain or Tilly being the first officer.

Agreed, there needs to be a little more character development but being they like to do each season as a story arch it makes it a little harder to spend time on the crew.

I'd say a lot more character development.  We know pretty much nothing about the bridge crew.  They just seem to be there for reaction shots.  The season really just needs to be longer and not every episode needs to be full of CGI or Michael being Rambo.  I think they tried to model her after Sisko, but made her much less likable with too much whispering and crying.  And yes, Booker's morphing ship made absolutely no sense, especially with how it morphed while "avoiding" asteroids.  The detached nacelles make no sense either on Discovery, maybe if they actually showed them being useful instead of a one-off line about "increased maneuverability" .  I wouldn't mind Tilly being first officer if she wasn't a really inexperienced ensign.

15 minutes ago, kjordan2001 said:

I'd say a lot more character development.  We know pretty much nothing about the bridge crew.  They just seem to be there for reaction shots.  The season really just needs to be longer and not every episode needs to be full of CGI or Michael being Rambo.  I think they tried to model her after Sisko, but made her much less likable with too much whispering and crying.  And yes, Booker's morphing ship made absolutely no sense, especially with how it morphed while "avoiding" asteroids.  The detached nacelles make no sense either on Discovery, maybe if they actually showed them being useful instead of a one-off line about "increased maneuverability" .  I wouldn't mind Tilly being first officer if she wasn't a really inexperienced ensign.

We did get some minor character development with Detmer and Owosekun this season. The series was/is based around Michael when it first announced, and I don't think that will change as her being the focus of the series. Discovery was retrofitted once it rejoined the Federation, so the detachable nacelles were part of the upgrade and hopefully, we'll see how they work next season. Tilly was/is taking the Command Training Program, so she'll get to a somewhat "Killy" mentality over time.

No Star Trek series has never come close to rich character development other than DS9, but again DS9 was a station-based series instead of a starship so it lends itself to focus on character development.

Discovery's main problem for me is the inconsistent story lines, particularly Detmer this season... she could have gone full crazy, and they were setting that all up too. They started off with two things: What caused the burn... and the crew adjusting to life in the 32nd century, leaving their entire lives behind and shambles... and sure, finding Starfleet again may have helped somewhat, but the whole abandonment of that story arc was pretty bad.

And the cause of the burn really irked me at first, lazy writing, and while it's still sci-fi, the cause of why this particular entity was able to even initiate a burn was pretty far fetched. There was so many other options. It was tidied up okay, but so many unanswered questions... how far did the burn go? The whole galaxy? Did other super powers collapse? The Dominion, The Borg? The Devore? Hirogen? (which I think we saw in one of the episodes) etc...

Having said that, it's still good Trek, but it could be great Trek if they actually hired on some decent sci-fi buffs for their writers team. I seriously feel there were separate rooms of writers for each episode, and none of them really talked to each other outside of getting a overall A > B plot line.

Also, Burnhams Mom plot was poorly thought out too. Another wasted story.

Also, s31 nanoprobes/Leland was also too quickly ended. I thought for sure we saw the nanoprobes bouncing around the floor when Saru was on the floor flying through the worm hole.

Edited by shockz

• Brandon H unpinned this topic
  • 7 months later...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/star-trek-fans-rage-netflix-25477453

Two days before season 4 starts it has been pulled worldwide from Netflix and will only stream in the US (and Canada) on Paramount+

And people wonder why piracy is still so rampant, it's because of dick moves like this, that's why. 

“In broad strokes, the bargain that then-CBS head honcho Les Moonves made with Netflix saw the latter paying the vast majority of Discovery‘s hefty budget for the overseas rights.

it makes no sense to me why they wouldn't have the right to keep seasons 1-3 on Netflix if they already paid toward the show's budgets?

• Like 4

On 17/11/2021 at 08:10, Steven P. said:

Two days before season 4 starts it has been pulled worldwide from Netflix and will only stream in the US (and Canada) on Paramount+

And people wonder why piracy is still so rampant, it's because of dick moves like this, that's why. 

it makes no sense to me why they wouldn't have the right to keep seasons 1-3 on Netflix if they already paid toward the show's budgets?

From article: Star Trek fans have been left livid after the global release of the new season of spin-off show Discovery was pulled days before its planned launch.

When aren't Star Trek fans livid at this point. lol

• Haha 1

On 17/11/2021 at 13:10, Steven P. said:

It's already hit certain... sources. ;)  Not that I have ANY interest in the show mind... Just reportin'. :p 

I just watched the new episode. It was kinda meh at the start but ended strong.

Spoiler

I dont know why but I got the feeling that it is gonna be a doomsday like machine like in the original series. 

First episode was off to a good start, no crying or whispering, but Tilly still ticks me off, every episode she shows why she shouldn't be in command and when she gets her moments they don't come across in a believable manner.

Spoiler

Her moment was of course talking down the captain of the station, but it ended up being the admiral who defused it anyway, and are we to believe that none of the captain of that station's own crew could have been onside to help in a stressful situation, erm okay. Nooo leave it to Tilly!!!111 to show us why she's in a command position /s

It is still better than the cryfest soap like performances of last season :) 

On 19/11/2021 at 05:21, Steven P. said:

First episode was off to a good start, no crying or whispering, but Tilly still ticks me off, every episode she shows why she shouldn't be in command and when she gets her moments they don't come across in a believable manner.

Reveal hidden contents

Her moment was of course talking down the captain of the station, but it ended up being the admiral who defused it anyway, and are we to believe that none of the captain of that station's own crew could have been onside to help in a stressful situation, erm okay. Nooo leave it to Tilly!!!111 to show us why she's in a command position /s

It was a good first episode and I don't have a problem with Tilly.  She is who she is and I don't think she'll get to her mirror universe demeanor.

What drive me nuts that there's always gotta be fire all over the place when a ship takes damage.  Really, there's still flammable material used in ships?

Spoiler

Curious if we see what the next generation Spore drive is going to look like.

Spoiler

Upgraded Discovery [A]?

FElJ6_SXEAM94HI.thumb.jpg.2e4e5625f104fd5477c7f6af251fadc3.jpg

On 19/11/2021 at 10:21, Steven P. said:

Reveal hidden contents

Mikeyspock is still an arrogant bit** I see.  I'm glad she got a dressing down from the president. New favourite character there! :p

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

4th season sets the lowest bar of any other ST seasons in history of the franchise. Between the pearls of wisdom and psychoanalysis there is no room left for Star Trek. Episodes feel like trailers for next week's Oprah Winfrey Show. 

I haven't watched S4 yet, but I liked 1-3. I like all the humor and emotional parts, which has not been Star Trek's strong suit. Tilly makes me laugh because you haven't seen a character in Star Trek like her before and frankly, we all have at least one Tilly in our professional lives. I know people have strong feelings about the main character being a woman and other things but that doesn't bother me. Honestly it makes it more dramatic that the character is a woman, than a man. I loved the character of Phillipa. 

On 10/12/2021 at 22:00, hagjohn said:

I haven't watched S4 yet, but I liked 1-3. I like all the humor and emotional parts, which has not been Star Trek's strong suit. Tilly makes me laugh because you haven't seen a character in Star Trek like her before and frankly, we all have at least one Tilly in our professional lives. I know people have strong feelings about the main character being a woman and other things but that doesn't bother me. Honestly it makes it more dramatic that the character is a woman, than a man. I loved the character of Phillipa. 

No one cares that the lead is a woman.  Janeway was a woman and clearly no one gave a damn because Voyager still performed very well and didn't cause any outcries among the fanbase.  What they DO care about is the terrible writing, the awful acting and the complete and utter disregard for established canon.

On 10/12/2021 at 23:00, hagjohn said:

Exactly what FloatingFatMan said. Voyager is my favorite Trek actually. I have seen it all the way through at least 3 times, which I can't say for other Trek shows.

The lead: Sonequa Martin-Green looks like she belongs in a daytime soap opera, and I can't stand Tilly, plus the writing is terrible, lets all dwell on a personal moment while the ship is exploding all around you (seems to be the norm in this show). This is the first show I skip forward frequently too because I just can't stand all the political correctness and bad daytime soap acting.

South Park was eons ahead of its time with the whole "Token" character, and that's all I have to say about that and "Hollyweird" You can have your token actors portraying traits we now all feel forced to be confronted with like repeated slaps to the face every day, but I don't really need it thanks :) 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Season 5 will be the last for Discovery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is what many people expected I think.  We weren't getting any real info for the next season so people started wondering. 

• 11 months later...

Did they really need to spend millions to end a show a lot of the actively fanbase hates?  Makes me feel bad for so many other far superior shows that just got terminated unfinished... :/  Not even Enterprise was hated as much as Disco is...