Is anything being done about the spam problem?

We use the IPS spam service, no-one is more annoyed than I am about this, but we try to flag them as quickly as possible. The only way to truly avoid spam is to enforce moderation of first posts (creating a bunch of work for our staff, and a slower response time for genuine members) but even spammers will find a way around that once they know we are checking their content.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danielx64 said:

Title the question. I rarely see junk/spam being posted on other large boards yet I see it here at lease twice if once a week. Is anything being done to address this?

I know it's annoying, but best thing to do is what I do. When I spot it, I just report it and move on.

2 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I know it's annoying, but best thing to do is what I do. When I spot it, I just report it and move on.

Reporting is definitely the way to do it, gets removed quickly.

6 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

Why not just require a post into introduction, then everything else is unlocked?

I've seen a lot of spam that gets posted to those boards. Not really sure that would work. 

9 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

I've seen a lot of spam that gets posted to those boards. Not really sure that would work. 

No, I'm saying, make new members have to post in "Introductions", but require a mod to review the post before it's actually posted.

The rest of the forums wouldn't be visible until after your first post was accepted. At least just until this is fixed.

Just a thought, cause I'm getting sick of seeing the spam. I've stopped coming on at certain times.

18 minutes ago, Piggy said:

Steve already mentioned that option BinaryData. It's not practical and creates unnecessary work.

He said first posts. And this would be limited to one section, I've seen this method deployed on a lot of forums.

But whatever, I'm not a mod here, so I guess I shouldn't really care.

What about a Q/A for registration?

Integrated with iamnotarobot capatcha feature on the same page?

Integrated with whatever else IPB has built into it.

Free plugin for stopforumspam or projecthoneypot available? This would run in the background w/no user intervention.

28 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

He said first posts. And this would be limited to one section, I've seen this method deployed on a lot of forums.

Honestly, it doesn't work.

It creates unnecessary work for the staff, and puts a road block in the way of genuine posters looking for help.

As for the "Spam problem". I think you ( @Danielx64) are greatly over hyping the problem. I spend a great amount of time here and very rarely do we get anything that constitutes a huge problem. Yes every now and again the spammers get in and post a handful of posts that last generally 5 mins before they're shut down and removed, which is good turn around for such a large forum.

If you see spam, report it, and let the staff deal with it. At this point, multiple posts about the spam are no better than the actual spam.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tehsteve86 said:

What about a Q/A for registration?

Integrated with iamnotarobot capatcha feature on the same page?

Integrated with whatever else IPB has built into it.

Free plugin for stopforumspam or projecthoneypot available? This would run in the background w/no user intervention.

They don't start up the bots until the account is active. A real person is creating the account and logging in. Sometimes they do make an introductory post, but when they start lovespamming the automation can get 10-20 posts up before we can flag the account.

There are a few thing IPB used to do when an account that was flagged as spam that are either broken or removed that it's not doing anymore so manual intervention is already being done. :/

bummer man. It's a special case when the end-user actually takes the time to create an account vs a bot doing it.

I see what you mean with features being broken using the built in "cleanup" tool.

I follow IPB pretty closely even though I run Xenforo.

IPB literally get's updated every week with a security release, so maybe we can pray that sooner or later, functioning cleanup tools can be fixed within a release.

@Ericthose things work again, the IP is banned, the posts hidden and it is sent to the IPS spam service. I can see in the logs where new members are classed and there are a few that are spotted and denied registration (7 were denied registration today, some tried multiple times to complete registration but got blocked). The IPS spam service checks against known spammer IP's and email accounts, and (hopefully) the ones that get through will eventually make it into the blacklist, helping other forums.

Hmm... none of the IPs from the voodoo love spam from last night are on the blacklist. I haven't seen that module work since the 4.x upgrade. :(

I've been adding them manually when I find them.

Why don't you just block the whole IP range from where all that spam is coming from and be done with it?

My company uses filters like this: x.y.z.0-255 or even x.y.0-255.0-255. The major downside is that it also blocks many legitimate users. The only solution for those users would be to change their ISP or call said ISP and ask them to do something about their more shady customers. We weighted the pros and cons of this and decided to keep the current policy in place, helps a lot in cutting down spam.

Edited by john_alex

10 minutes ago, john_alex said:

Why don't you just block the whole IP range from where all that spam is coming from and be done with it?

My company uses filters like this: x.y.z.0-255 or even x.y.0-255.0-255. The major downside is that it also blocks many legitimate users. The only solution for those users would be to change their ISP or call said ISP and ask them to do something about their more shady customers. We weighted the pros and cons of this and decided to keep the current policy in place, helps a lot in cutting down spam.

Kind of answered your own question there.

What i'm annoyed with is that it's stupid spam.  It's like someone creates a thread and then just mashes the keyboard and hits submit... I mean what's the point?

What i'm noticing is that the spamers are creating a new account and then creating 4 or 6 new threads.

So why not add mandatory captcha's for creating new threads and a time limit between posts, for users with a post count less than 10

8 minutes ago, warwagon said:

What i'm annoyed with is that it's stupid spam.  It's like someone creates a thread and then just mashes the keyboard and hits submit... I mean what's the point?

You just described every joke thread you've created ;)

Where do I report the user? Last time when I saw a spam I clicked the spammer's profile to report it, but didn't find the option.  That spammer has got 20 posts in a couple of minutes. So I ended up reporting the post.