Formula 1 World Championship 2016 Season Discussion

Formula 1 World Championship 2016 Poll  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the 2016 Drivers Championship?

• Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Sebastian Vettel
    • Kimi Räikkönen
    • Valterri Bottas
    • Felipe Massa
    • Daniil Kvyat
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Sergio Pérez
    • Nico Hülkenberg
    • Kevin Magnussen
    • Jolyon Palmer
    • Max Verstappen
    • Carlos Sainz, Jr.
    • Felipe Nasr
    • Marcus Ericsson
    • Jenson Button
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Pascal Wehrlein
    • Rio Haryanto
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Esteban Gutiérrez
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the 2016 Constructors Championship?

• Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Williams Martini Racing
    • Red Bull Racing
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Renault F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • McLaren Honda
    • Manor Marussia F1 Team
    • Haas F1 Team

11 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

I know this is a formula-E related post and I've popped it there already, but anyone interested in F1 will probably also enjoy this.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/motorsport/watch-man-backflip-over-formula-e-car-360-degrees

Absolutely ridiculous.

You can imagine that if it gets approved, they way that teams colour it to fit in with the livery will make it look great. Doesn't even look too bad now, definitely the best of the bunch at present.

Man of the race: Lewis Hamilton

Reject of the race: Dani Kvyat

Great finish by Mclaren today, the retirements meant a bit of luck however it was mostly on merit. Good to see solid points again.

That's a bold move, will be very interesting to see how Verstappen copes.

Good on him though, and good luck.

Heineken set to enter Formula 1 as sponsor

Heineken is set to enter Formula 1 as a major sponsor in a five-year deal worth $150m, Autosport understands.

The drinks giant will have a significant trackside presence from this year's Canadian Grand Prix and will not be replacing any existing trackside sponsors such as Rolex or Pirelli.

Although sources close to the deal would not comment on the record, the agreement is said to have been reached directly between Formula One management and Heineken, which has previously enjoyed high-profile partnerships with Champions League Football and the Rugby World Cup.

Unusually for a 'trackside' deal, the Heineken arrangement is said to include provision for a degree of partnership with an F1 team.

Several teams have been issued with Requests For Proposals from Heineken, whereby the team making the best pitch to the brewer would receive its revenues.

It is likely therefore that the successful team will carry some kind of Heineken branding.

Behind-the-scenes paddock and garage access is extremely valuable to any sponsor wishing to gain maximum value from its involvement.

A source close to the deal said: "This is great news for Formula 1. It's a high-profile brand committing cash and credibility and that can only be good for the sport."

Source: Autosport

9 minutes ago, vanx said:

Hmm, a company that makes alcoholic beverages is looking to partner with a sport that involves high speed driving. I wonder what could go wrong...

There have been plenty drinks related sponsors in the past - what's changed?

Force India are sponsored by Kingfisher which is a drinks company.

EDIT: obviously missing Martini on Williams too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skiver said:

There have been plenty drinks related sponsors in the past - what's changed?

Force India are sponsored by Kingfisher which is a drinks company.

EDIT: obviously missing Martini on Williams too.

Not many people know that Kingfisher is an alcoholic beverage company.

And it is quite different to see whole sections of ads for an alcohol drinks company -- if you look at TV coverage, they specifically place cameras so that when they follow car(s) in one continuous swoop they capture one specific sponsor per passage -- and some logos on suits and cars.

I am sure that Bernie is happy to take money from almost anyone. However, I do think that advertising of an alcoholic drinks company is counter-intuitive to F1's campaign for road safety.

4 minutes ago, vanx said:

Not many people know that Kingfisher is an alcoholic beverage company.

And it is quite different to see whole sections of ads for an alcohol drinks company -- if you look at TV coverage, they specifically place cameras so that when they follow car(s) in one continuous swoop they capture one specific sponsor per passage -- and some logos on suits and cars.

I am sure that Bernie is happy to take money from almost anyone. However, I do think that advertising of an alcoholic drinks company is counter-intuitive to F1's campaign for road safety.

Maybe they don't I knew it will enough so perhaps wrongly assumed others did too. But surely people know Martini, is McLaren still sponsored by Johnnie Walker? and I'm sure Diageo used to be a sponsor a year or so ago. 

I get what you're saying though however IMO banning it from the track side whilst allowing the cars is sending mixed messages so if they are going to do it, it needs to be done across the board. That's more my issue with this, this is a sport and they need the sponsors to be as competitive as possible. 

It is a funny story though when you consider that a few years ago smoking companies were banned (at least I think they were) but Alcohol is still fine. 

1 minute ago, vanx said:

Jean Todt said that banning alcohol was "not possible" as per https://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f1-fia-will-not-ban-alcohol-advertising-in-f1?artid=177043

But they did it with cigarettes, so...

He is not wrong about it being somewhat country-specific, because I seem to recall lack of alcohol companies' branding in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi.

Yep - I'm almost certain that at least in Bahrain the likes of Williams change their livery to remove Martini and they obviously drink rose water on the podium rather than champagne. 

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

Yep - I'm almost certain that at least in Bahrain the likes of Williams change their livery to remove Martini and they obviously drink rose water on the podium rather than champagne. 

Yeah, they did a couple of years ago...

7M1W8Hf.jpg

When they got to Abu Dhabi, though, they completely dropped the Martini logo and stripes, so that's probably what they always do now.