Formula 1 World Championship 2016 Season Discussion

Formula 1 World Championship 2016 Poll  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the 2016 Drivers Championship?

• Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Sebastian Vettel
    • Kimi Räikkönen
    • Valterri Bottas
    • Felipe Massa
    • Daniil Kvyat
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Sergio Pérez
    • Nico Hülkenberg
    • Kevin Magnussen
    • Jolyon Palmer
    • Max Verstappen
    • Carlos Sainz, Jr.
    • Felipe Nasr
    • Marcus Ericsson
    • Jenson Button
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Pascal Wehrlein
    • Rio Haryanto
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Esteban Gutiérrez
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the 2016 Constructors Championship?

• Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Williams Martini Racing
    • Red Bull Racing
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Renault F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • McLaren Honda
    • Manor Marussia F1 Team
    • Haas F1 Team

The problem with F1 isn't the spectacle, it's the fact that it is getting moved to pay TV, Bernie's a guy only interested in lining his own pockets. Using artificial means to shake up the grid is a really stupid proposal even by his standards.

4 minutes ago, Javik said:

The problem with F1 isn't the spectacle, it's the fact that it is getting moved to pay TV, Bernie's a guy only interested in lining his own pockets. Using artificial means to shake up the grid is a really stupid proposal even by his standards.

I thought the same thing. I only got into F1 a year or two before it was moved to Sky. I used to watch every single race, but now that I need to pay for it, I find myself watching it less. 

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind paying for it, but I don't think with Sky you can get just the single F1 channel, you need to pay for a bunch of stuff that I would never watch. 

• Like 3

Having been watching F1 for many years, including the Free TV days on ITV and BBC (and now having it as part of my Sky subscription), I can safely say one thing; coverage has never been as good as it is on Sky F1. 

Since the announcement was made that Sky was partnering with the BBC for the F1, the company has been subject to torrents of abuse but let us not forget that it was the BBC who approached Sky and not the other way around. The simple fact is, the BBC no longer wanted to invest as much into it and I for one am personally glad that Sky picked it up. For those who don't subscribe to Sky, it's undoubtedly a giant pain but if you're willing to pay even a small amount (say through the app or if you have the Sky Sports App for iPad with the inbuilt F1 control centre), the experience is definitely worth it.

Just my two cents.

P.S. Bernie is obviously only interested in lining his own pockets and I would highly suggest you read up on / watch documentaries that show just how he wrestled control of F1's TV rights. It makes for enlightening viewing and if you don't hate him already, you probably will once you delve into it. Fair play to the guy, he's controlled it for years, but it's time the FIA stopped peeking their heads out of Bernie's pockets and actually did their jobs.

Oh and PPS. I think it's too early to say who will win, the first few races will reveal a lot. I have a feeling Mercedes are the team to beat but if anyone can do it, Sebastian Vettel will be chomping at the bit to do so. I'm hoping that Honda McLaren have made some major improvements and that Red Bull aren't sod all last thanks to Renault's incompetence. Lastly, anyone else hoping that the new Mercedes powered Manor cars jump right up the pack? That would be an example of where F1 finally looks after the little guy.

I'm reasonably lucky in that I have access to someone else's sky player account. Otherwise I'd be restricted to downloading races after they have been broadcast.

35 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I thought the same thing. I only got into F1 a year or two before it was moved to Sky. I used to watch every single race, but now that I need to pay for it, I find myself watching it less. 

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind paying for it, but I don't think with Sky you can get just the single F1 channel, you need to pay for a bunch of stuff that I would never watch. 

Sadly true; it's a minimum of £45 a month on both Sky and Virgin Media just to get Sky Sports F1. As far as I know, the cheapest legal way to get it here is through NOW TV; it's £31.99 a month there for Sky Sports, or you can just buy a £6.99 day pass for each race not on Channel 4 and save even more. The obvious catch with NOW TV is it's a streaming service, so it's not 60FPS and you need a decent/stable internet connection, although I remember Watchdog taking them to task before for going down during big football matches before.

Same as most above, I got into F1 around 2006 ish  (The year Button got his first Win with BAR) and started watching every race, getting up at silly o-clock for the fly aways etc.

I did Sub to Sky Movies for the first year but Virgin Media started getting more and more expensive and I had some financial issues that meant I had to cancel the sub and now I just can't justify it, It's the number one reason I don't follow it as fanatically as I used to.

Doesn't help that I thought the BBC team were absolutely rubbish, the misses used to sit and laugh at me when I shouted at the screen when they got stuff wrong or were talking about some obscure element whilst something major was changing on screen. Hopefully channel 4 will do a better job but I've always missed the Sky bunch and I doubt they'll be as good regardless.

35 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Same as most above, I got into F1 around 2006 ish  (The year Button got his first Win with BAR) and started watching every race, getting up at silly o-clock for the fly aways etc.

I did Sub to Sky Movies for the first year but Virgin Media started getting more and more expensive and I had some financial issues that meant I had to cancel the sub and now I just can't justify it, It's the number one reason I don't follow it as fanatically as I used to.

Doesn't help that I thought the BBC team were absolutely rubbish, the misses used to sit and laugh at me when I shouted at the screen when they got stuff wrong or were talking about some obscure element whilst something major was changing on screen. Hopefully channel 4 will do a better job but I've always missed the Sky bunch and I doubt they'll be as good regardless.

I know it's not 100% legal but I'd just download them if you can't get access. It's not as good as seeing them live but better than missing out altogether IMO.

I know what you mean regarding the team's incompetence though. DC and Eddie Jordan are the only members that even knew what they were talking about. Martin Brundle going to sky was a massive loss, he's a fantastic commentator. Very objective, and immensely knowledgeable.

You can get Sky F1 live on Android using mobdro. Google it .. it's not on the play store.

I love Sky F1's coverage. Brundle, Crofty and Kravitz are superb!

space.gif space.gif

United States F1 Grand Prix at Austin gets green light for 2016

Formula 1's United States Grand Prix at Austin will go ahead this season, Circuit of the Americas chairman Bobby Epstein has confirmed.

Epstein remarked towards the end of last season the future of the race was "not looking good" after the Texas state government announced a significant cut in its contribution towards COTA's hosting fee.

The state originally promised $25million per annum of funding over the 10 years of the contract with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone prior to the debut of the race in 2012.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123188

Glad this hasn't been cut already, I like this track, it's always featured some pretty good races with lots of overtaking spots.

37 minutes ago, what said:

I don't see what having 12 presenters will add to the mix. That's totally unnecessary.

Most of them will only be there for a few races each, so it fills in the gaps when certain presenters are away racing, like Mark Webber in the WEC, and Bruno Senna in Formula E. Going from their website, it looks like Steve Jones, David Coulthard, Lee McKenzie, Karun Chandhok, and Ben Edwards are the only ones who'll be there for all of the races.