GNU / Linux January 2016 Desktops

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:00 PM, Unobscured Vision said:

You'll enjoy Mint. It's much more "sane" than Unity Ubuntu.

[EDIT] Slow down .. sheesh. I'm too giddy today. I wonder why? :D 

didn't like Mint, felt too much like Windows95... lol  Thankfully I imaged my Ubuntu install so I am back with that =)

11 hours ago, Ravensky said:

I don't know why but every time I try KDE it just hangs on me =/  Seems to really dislike my PC...

sounds like a hardware problem for me.

55 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

sounds like a hardware problem for me.

driver problem I think, Mint, Debian, Ubuntu all work great, but if I try Kubuntu or anything like that the installers always fail, not sure why...

Hell even Windows 10 runs smooth as silk on my PC.

26 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

driver problem I think, Mint, Debian, Ubuntu all work great, but if I try Kubuntu or anything like that the installers always fail, not sure why...

Hell even Windows 10 runs smooth as silk on my PC.

ever tried some rolling release kde distro?

2 hours ago, Ravensky said:

like what?

antergos, manjaro, open suse tumbleweed, chakra or sabayon. 

8 hours ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

antergos, manjaro, open suse tumbleweed, chakra or sabayon. 

I tried Manjaro which I was actually able to install but for some reason it would keep locking up, I could still move the mouse but the KDE interface would just lock up so I couldn't do anything...

Keeping it simple with Fedora 23 and 4.3.3 kernel on a System 76 machine.

Hostname:                    virginia.lan
Uptime:                      2 Hours, 56 Minutes, 11 Seconds
CPU:                         Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4750HQ CPU @ 2.00GHz
RAM (used / total):          7.46GiB / 15.60GiB
Swap (used / total):         0b / 7.81GiB
Desktop Environment:         GNOME 
Logged in as:                *****
Kernel:                      4.3.3-300.fc23.x86_64
Resolution:                  1920 x 1080 pixels
Load Average:                0.45
Top Process (by memory use): /opt/google/chrome/chrome

screenshot_20160116.204518.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ravensky said:

I tried Manjaro which I was actually able to install but for some reason it would keep locking up, I could still move the mouse but the KDE interface would just lock up so I couldn't do anything...

manjaro is more of a semi-rolling release distro. i would try a real rolling release distro like antergos or you could also - depending on your knowledge - try arch linux. 

then antergos is for you. is as easy to install as ubuntu and you get basically arch linux afterwards.

23 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

I am not experienced enough to use Arch...but thank you!

Not true at all, Arch was like the 4th distro I ever tried, if you can read the Beginner's guide will be all you need 

11 minutes ago, Anibal P said:

Not true at all, Arch was like the 4th distro I ever tried, if you can read the Beginner's guide will be all you need 

Arch is pretty hardcore, though. Like Gentoo. Both are "Get your hands dirty" Distros. Sure you'll end up with exactly what you want, but the average Desktop user out there (like someone's Grandfather) won't have the slightest idea what to do or have any idea how to set it up by themselves.

Sorry purists, but Gentoo and Arch both fail in the "Let's get the masses using Linux" department. We're trying to get people using Linux. Isn't that the whole idea? Great for those of us who actually know what the hell we're doing; not so much for our big sisters or Aunts who have trouble figuring out why their Netflix isn't working when we're 35 miles away.

The whole paradigm of "let's make the user do everything themselves so we don't have to" is inexcusable in 2015. It was inexcusable by 2005, for that matter.

32 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

then antergos is for you. is as easy to install as ubuntu and you get basically arch linux afterwards.

I just tried the live version of Antergos, it's really nice I love it! Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

I just tried the live version of Antergos, it's really nice I love it! Thank you!

if you plan on installing it be advised to update the mirrorlist first:

you get assisted there:

https://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

chose your country and one country nearby and generate a list, the replace the old one /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist   with the new one. 

this will result in a faster and more stable installation.

12 hours ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

if you plan on installing it be advised to update the mirrorlist first:

you get assisted there:

https://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

chose your country and one country nearby and generate a list, the replace the old one /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist   with the new one. 

this will result in a faster and more stable installation.

I finally settled on Ubuntu 15.10 Gnome edition... It just feels the best to me. 

desktop.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Ravensky said:

I finally settled on Ubuntu 15.10 Gnome edition... It just feels the best to me. 

good for you. but sadly we probably will never solve the mysterious kde problem your system seems to have.

4 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

good for you. but sadly we probably will never solve the mysterious kde problem your system seems to have.

I'm using docky for convenience, if you know of a better dock app please let me know! =)

14 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

bad thumb drive... stupid thing was crashing my system when I was installing the KDE based distro's I swapped it for a new one and it was working fine, after 16 hours of sampling distros today I settled for gnome and ubuntu.  I had an almost perfect Debian install but it's just too dated to really get it to where I liked it.

32 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

I'm using docky for convenience, if you know of a better dock app please let me know! =)

i don't use any sorry. but by using ubuntu you get a big choice of many different dock bars, i would suggest google for it.

bad thumb drive.

ah glad that one is solved now!

1 hour ago, Ravensky said:

desktop.jpg

Very nice. I assume the theme is Arc Darker? What dock is that? Also what extensions are you using?

GNOME Shell can look really nice when configured properly. I still get a bit annoyed with how much vertical space is used at the top though :/

14 hours ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

I downloaded it a few hours ago, may eventually try it, still have Windows on this laptop. 

May either put LM17.3 or Qubes, although the latter doesn't work well with Nvidia GPUs and they say as much on the official site.  With LM17.2 it started giving me GPU errors of some sort, and would only render using software, so I hope that problem doesn't show up with LM17.3.  If it does, that is probably when I will try AntergOS.

Does it have a graphical installer?  This is the main reason why I have never tried Gentoo and that was the distro to go to for a while about 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, Ravensky said:

desktop.jpg

Why not try Linux Mint 17.3 w/ the Cinnamon desktop?