So, regarding the spam in General

47 minutes ago, Nik L said:

I was going to suggest that, the fact we rage so hard on spam is because it's still actually pretty rare.  For a forum the size of Neowin, I bet there's so much we don't see!

That's probably why it gets noticed. Because it's there and usually isn't. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nik L said:

I was going to suggest that, the fact we rage so hard on spam is because it's still actually pretty rare.  For a forum the size of Neowin, I bet there's so much we don't see!

I was awestruck when I saw how much was actually hidden during my jump from subscriber into the dev role. It caught me off guard for sure.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Xilo said:

Spam like this can be prevented by: 

- new members can't start topics until a number of posts

- limit amount of posts per hour/day for new members until they reach a certain amount

- limit amount of topics/posts you can consecutively start

All of these are very easy to implement. Many forums use this. Why doesn't Neowin?

I second all of these options.

Except for the last one. :p

I vote we cut off the spammer's testicles, dry them for 3 weeks, and then feed them to a rat, kill the rat by putting it into a grinder alive, burning the remains and then flushing the ashes into a 70% full septic tank, mixed well.

Then make a deal with the spammer, if he can successfully retrieve the remains of his testicles 100% and makes sure there are no rat remains mixed within, he can spam neowin all he wants for 3 hours and no one will bother him. :p 

Who's with me?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Xilo said:

No, these things are very very easy to implement and Neowin has never had any spam prevention.

Oreally?

SNAG-0000.thumb.png.d1f273a722a39789923e

We are thinking about adding our own mod to prevent spam (I have had an idea or two about it).. but like everything it isn't done in a day or 2 minutes. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Aheer.R.S. said:

I vote we cut off the spammer's testicles, dry them for 3 weeks, and then feed them to a rat, kill the rat by putting it into a grinder alive, burning the remains and then flushing the ashes into a 70% full septic tank, mixed well.

Then make a deal with the spammer, if he can successfully retrieve the remains of his testicles 100% and makes sure there are no rat remains mixed within, he can spam neowin all he wants for 3 hours and no one will bother him. :p 

Who's with me?

Sure, if you want to give him just a slap on the wrist! I say let the rat have his testicles while they're still attached!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DConnell said:

Sure, if you want to give him just a slap on the wrist! I say let the rat have his testicles while they're still attached!

I've got a better idea. Psychological torture.

Hansen's "Mmm-Bop" played at 102db while locked in a stuck elevator between floors.

After that ... Little Babys Ice Cream Ads.

Then more Hansen.

That'll fix 'em. :yes: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I've got a better idea. Psychological torture.

Hansen's "Mmm-Bop" played at 102db while locked in a stuck elevator between floors.

After that ... Little Babys Ice Cream Ads.

Then more Hansen.

That'll fix 'em. :yes: 

Needs more Hansen

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

I'd take Hansen/Mmm-Bop over the crap they play nowadays.

To me, that's real psychological torture.

Kanye West?!

I'm not that cruel. :laugh:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/31/2016 at 11:29 AM, Xilo said:

Spam like this can be prevented by: 

- new members can't start topics until a number of posts

- limit amount of posts per hour/day for new members until they reach a certain amount

- limit amount of topics/posts you can consecutively start

All of these are very easy to implement. Many forums use this. Why doesn't Neowin?

Take this one just a few moments ago. A brand new Spammer was able to post  14 times in 9 Mins.

A simple solution to that would be to limit a brand new registered member to 3 posts for the first 15 mins. In that time a spammer is usually caught and terminated. This still allows good users to post 3 times after joining and all they want after 15 mins.

spammer.PNG

Yeah I will ask Simon to adjust it up a bit, but these posts also sort of help spammers, we don't want a situation where the basic antispam module is going to be bypassed.

13 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Yeah I will ask Simon to adjust it up a bit, but these posts also sort of help spammers, we don't want a situation where the basic antispam module is going to be bypassed.

I believe that The spam would get worse.

Spammers get reported pretty quick around here, right? So if a new users post is reported as spam, their ability to post should automatically/instantly be disabled until further notice.

There could be further rules regrading the age of the account, number of posts, etc. In case they try to play the long game and lay in wait.

If there is an influx of new users/posts (same arse-hole, multiple accounts), then all those posts should automatically be hidden from the rest of the forum and the same restrictions applied until the posts have been given the once over.

They should be sent a message letting them know what has happened, just in case it was done in error, and some poor genuine user is left wondering what the hell is going on.

Sounds fool-proof to me. :D

*Waits for a million holes to be found in cunning plan*