Grid Autosport for Linux (Steam)


Recommended Posts

simonlang

how could i have missed this? it got released a month ago! no race fans here? gave it a quick try and it works perfectly. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
simplezz
On 09/01/2016 at 11:28 AM, Simon Lang 9047 said:

how could i have missed this? it got released a month ago! no race fans here? gave it a quick try and it works perfectly. 

AAA and top titles are coming thick and fast now. SteamOS is a game changer for Linux :D

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
Just now, simplezz said:

AAA and top titles are coming thick and fast now. SteamOS is a game changer for Linux :D

it really is! sure you need proper hardware for AAA titles, however when running and not knowing no one could tell you if it's windows or linux. it's impressive. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
HawkMan
11 minutes ago, simplezz said:

AAA and top titles are coming thick and fast now. SteamOS is a game changer for Linux :D

 

thick... fast...  well everything is relative and depend on what angle you view it from. from the position of nothing, a trickle is thick and heavy. But it seems a bit like laying it on very thick 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
simplezz
1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

 

thick... fast...  well everything is relative and depend on what angle you view it from. from the position of nothing, a trickle is thick and heavy. But it seems a bit like laying it on very thick 

Well haters gonna hate I suppose. From what I can see most new steam titles are coming out with GNU/Linux support. That's a game changer for Linux on the desktop. SteamOS is a wake up call for OEM's that shows GNU/Linux is a serious alternative to Windows.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
HawkMan
11 minutes ago, simplezz said:

Well haters gonna hate I suppose. From what I can see most new steam titles are coming out with GNU/Linux support. That's a game changer for Linux on the desktop. SteamOS is a wake up call for OEM's that shows GNU/Linux is a serious alternative to Windows.

Firstly I don't hate, I don't care if games come out on linux or not. I don't see that it has an economic benefit for the vast majority of developers and the returns will be smaller than the investment.

 

However that bolded part if pure fantasy, and either you're living very sheltered and are only looking at steam with the "available on linux" filter on, or your purposely lying for some reason. because only a small fraction of new steam titles are coming on linux. Especially when you, as you did, qualify it with AAA titles. 

 

Tomb Raider? RB6 Siege? The Division? Just Cause 3? Fallout 4?  XCom2?

 

Just a handful of new and upcoming games on steam. all pretty major AAA titles that have/are or will be selling big. and...

 

finding games you can play on steam for linux is great for you, but trying to pretend it's something it isn't to sell it and steamOS/Steam machines to others is doing them a great disservice and is quite disloyal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Anibal P

Lots of hate for such a nice thing for Linux 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Unobscured Vision

No kidding, my goodness.

 

- If you need a disaster recovery solution and need it "free, fast, and immediately", Linux has your back.

- If you need something to de-crapify your Windows machine(s) offline, Linux has you covered too.

- If you want to play some older games that no longer work on Windows (some of which are now free and open-source!), they're generally on Linux now.

- Some games, like Kerbal Space Program, will only work as intended on Linux. The Windows version is crippled due to .Net being as it is.

- Games are increasingly being developed with Linux in mind.

- Android is Linux, at its' core.

 

Not to come off as a zealot or anything, but give something a try before you just knock it. You might end up liking it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
HawkMan

All of that kinda misses the point. though, linux is good for it's purpose, but again, making it out s if linux is a great gaming OS that also gets nearly all the new AAA games is misleading and disloyal and a straight out lie. you're wrong or half wrong on several of your other points as well, but all of them are off topic anyway so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

All of that kinda misses the point. though, linux is good for it's purpose, but again, making it out s if linux is a great gaming OS that also gets nearly all the new AAA games is misleading and disloyal and a straight out lie. you're wrong or half wrong on several of your other points as well, but all of them are off topic anyway so. 

 

still you got to see the context. not so long ago, basically the only games you could play on linux were simple card games and that super-tux cart racing game. and then came steam which is an advantage not only for the users but developers as well. if a game is compatible with win, linux and mac os, you can just download and install over steam no matter what os you are using. and the point of grid autosport proves, that linux is just as good for gaming as windows is. really there is no difference as the hardware works the same, some even claim (i have not compared that) that games on linux would run a bit faster. whats still lacking a bit is the amount of games you can chose from. in that regard windows is leading, however the lead is shrinking.

so hardware-wise: linux is as a great gaming os as windows (maybe even better)

if you want to have a big variety of games to chose from, windows is on top but not as much as it used to be.

 

let's check again next year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
HawkMan
1 hour ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

 

still you got to see the context. not so long ago, basically the only games you could play on linux were simple card games and that super-tux cart racing game. and then came steam which is an advantage not only for the users but developers as well. if a game is compatible with win, linux and mac os, you can just download and install over steam no matter what os you are using. and the point of grid autosport proves, that linux is just as good for gaming as windows is. really there is no difference as the hardware works the same, some even claim (i have not compared that) that games on linux would run a bit faster. whats still lacking a bit is the amount of games you can chose from. in that regard windows is leading, however the lead is shrinking.

so hardware-wise: linux is as a great gaming os as windows (maybe even better)

if you want to have a big variety of games to chose from, windows is on top but not as much as it used to be.

 

let's check again next year. 

I dunno. the majority of linux games on steam is "indie" games, and indie games where on linux since "indie" games started to be a thing. with the whole pay what you want indie packs and before. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
HawkMan
Quote

so hardware-wise: linux is as a great gaming os as windows (maybe even better)

and yeah, no, absolutely no. still sufferes from low performance as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando

good to see some new(ish) titles arrive. Its a decent enough arcade racer tbh probably best on the series.

 

Now only if linux community or steam could get a wrapper for D3D with Ms (and optimise performance), perhaps steamOS/steam on Linux could become a viable alternative. Its closer but not there yet, a simple comparison on titles available shows that. 71 pages of linux/steamOS titles, 109 pages for Mac and 295 for Windows.  The number of Mac pages surprised me tbh.

 

It shows potential in Linux.

 

 

Edited by Mando
Link to post
Share on other sites
Max Norris
27 minutes ago, Mando said:

good to see some new(ish) titles arrive. Its a decent enough arcade racer tbh probably best on the series.

Now only if linux community or steam could get a wrapper for D3D with Ms (and optimise performance), perhaps steamOS/steam on Linux could become a viable alternative. Its closer but not there yet

 

It's certainly improved but yea, it's got a long way to go.  Two huge issues still for me, first is "lazy ports" instead of an actual native binary.. lots of complaints on various Linux forums about these due to significantly reduced performance, etc, a number of developers aren't putting any serious time or money into these ports, which is just going to hurt in the long run. Then there's the old driver issues which is still a big problem.. at the moment if you're using an AMD based GPU you'll be especially frustrated, the developers of some of these newer ports flat out tell you that the game won't even run. 

 

It's nice to see a few developers starting to take Linux gaming seriously but between these big problems and SteamOS's failure to make any significant impact, its got quite a while to go before it'll be a serious contender to challenge WIndows for gaming.. they need a big title that plays just as well as the WIndows version available at the same time, not 3 years later, that'll probably help quite a bit.  Not saying it's all bad, there are some good ones out there, playing a few myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

still sufferes from low performance as well. 

pile of crap.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
darth_vader
29 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

pile of crap.

Linux is nowhere near windows performance in games...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang

aahhhh guys with small ###### counting fps .... like always....  both look absolutely fluent to me 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
darth_vader

Yes, I am counting FPS, why whould I pay a fortune for a GFX to criple it with linux? I do like linux as a desktop os, but the fact remains that at this time, it is a no go for someone who wants the best from his PC in terms of gaming performance!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne
18 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

aahhhh guys with small ###### counting fps .... like always....  both look absolutely fluent to me 

Using insults just shows your own insecurities. You were proven wrong, and this is your defense mechanism. Sad.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
Just now, adrynalyne said:

Using insults just shows your own insecurities. You were proven wrong, and this is your defense mechanism.

nope. i could not care less. i just downloaded grid autosport a few days ago and it runs fine on my hardware/software combo. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne
2 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

nope. i could not care less. i just downloaded grid autosport a few days ago and it runs fine on my hardware/software combo. 

Immaturity then. Either way, hurling insults because you don't agree with something is not the way to go.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
HawkMan
2 hours ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

aahhhh guys with small ###### counting fps .... like always....  both look absolutely fluent to me 

... So you went from "linux having lower performance is BS" to "Well I don't care it runs well enough for me"...

 

So sure, you have a game that runs above 30 in linux and close to 60 in windows. it's smooth enough for you, but what about the game that run 30 in windows then and then runs well below noticeable frame chopping on linux.

 

Then again, the fact you went from saying there's no difference to saying that up to an over 50% performance difference doesn't matter shows you're not going to give a genuine answer. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick H.

I'm not sure what any of the above posts have to do with this game in particular. Can you take the Linux vs. <insert competition here> somewhere else, please?

 

Looks like a decent game to me. Although after GT3 I've always found myself getting a bit tired of racing games after a few hours. I might pick them up now and again to get some road rage out, but I've generally found the progression model for these games to be underwhelming, in the sense that half the time getting a new car feels more like getting a new skin for a car I already have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne
2 hours ago, darth_vader said:

Linux is nowhere near windows performance in games...

 

 

 

 

7 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I'm not sure what any of the above posts have to do with this game in particular. Can you take the Linux vs. <insert competition here> somewhere else, please?

 

Looks like a decent game to me. Although after GT3 I've always found myself getting a bit tired of racing games after a few hours. I might pick them up now and again to get some road rage out, but I've generally found the progression model for these games to be underwhelming, in the sense that half the time getting a new car feels more like getting a new skin for a car I already have.

Relevance.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.