A 12-year-old girl got a higher IQ score than Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking

Nicole Barr, a 12-year-old from Essex in England just scored a 162 on her Mensa IQ test — that's two points higher than what Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking scored.

A "genius" score on the test is a 140.

Nicole's father, Jim Barr, took Nicole to take the test with the hunch that she would likely be accepted into Mensa.

“I was expecting her to do well. I knew she had a quick mind for working out problems and puzzles,” Jim told Yahoo. “I didn’t want to put any pressure on her, so we went for the fun of it. I had the idea in my mind that she would get into Mensa, but when I got the results back, I thought, ‘Wow that’s a high score!’ It wasn’t until later that I learned it was the top score possible on that test.”

The prestigious society confirmed Nicole's impressive IQ score.

“Nicole’s IQ puts her comfortably within the top 1% of the population,” a spokesman for Mensa told the Western Daily Press. “Only children can get a score higher than 161, because that is the maximum IQ score for an adult. The test is age adjusted for children. While a score of 162 isn’t exactly unknown, it is still quite rare.”

Nicole has theatrical aspirations and acts in her free time, but hopes to eventually go into the medical field.

"She's a hard-working child. She stays after school for homework club and never misses a day," Nicole's mother Dolly Buckland told The Mirror. "From a young age she's been picking out mistakes in books and magazines. She's a happy, fun-loving girl who is always asking for extra homework... She's determined to finish school and go to college and university to be a pediatrician."

http://mashable.com/2015/08/05/12-year-old-iq/#tQpecC1rPsqY

I duno, I never liked IQ tests, when I was tested in elementary school I scored a 142, got retested by another place because the school felt that wasn't right they placed me at 148.... does it mean I am a genius? not really... mathematically and problem solving I am more advanced then others... grammatically, phonetically, reading comprehension wise and everything else psh no way, I always felt that the higher your score the more oddities about your thought process and personality start to become apparent.. I personally don't think the score was ever right ha... all I remember was a bunch of patterns and other things I had to solve and apparently doing it a lot faster then other students.

and doesn't the test scores move over time? I thought they moved the median score about 3 points a decade, so 100 in the 1940's would be very different from 100 today

Edit: nope, I was wrong, scores on average rise 3 points per decade, not that they move them that much, they move on a median of the current scoring standard... found it online called the Flynn Effect

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

IQ can help (as well as hinder), but in the end it is just a single part in a huge equation.

yep, it's just a part of everything else..... scoring above Einstein on an IQ test doesn't mean you are smarter as a whole or will do more intellectually then Einstein in the end

IQ tests problem solving skills but doesn't test your ability to create new theories and prove them. A true genius is someone who can come up with a unique idea or concept.

On 12/01/2016 at 2:40 PM, jnelsoninjax said:

“Nicole’s IQ puts her comfortably within the top 1% of the population,” a spokesman for Mensa told the Western Daily Press. “Only children can get a score higher than 161, because that is the maximum IQ score for an adult. The test is age adjusted for children. While a score of 162 isn’t exactly unknown, it is still quite rare.”

This single paragraph basically makes a lie of the headline. Children and adults are not measured on the same scale, so can they really say she has a greater score than 2 adults?

Besides which, even if her score IS higher, that doesn't make her smarter.  First she needs an education, and the drive to USE that education, before we can possibly tell if she's another Einstein or Hawking.

• Like 1