Out of focus photos with Nikon D3100 in Auto mode?

Is it me, or are most not totally in focus considering the camera had plenty of daylight to play with.

The wheel is set to Auto, the focus type is Auto-area AF (is that the wrong type to use?) and both AF and VR are enabled on the lens (stock 18-55mm).

http://we.tl/QsbnuqMey2 (WeTransfer, files will be available for 7 days.)

Just now, Snoopy2005uk said:

upload them to photobucket or something,.dont want to install we transfer just to look at these

Odd, I didn't have to download anything to upload them.

They look OK to me, want to pick one of the pics in particular and an element that looks out of focus to you? Setting everything to auto is possible not the best way to get the pictures you want. Most of the stuff I looked at is taken from with a lot of depth, stuff in the foreground, stuff in the background etc. If the cameras auto mode decides to set the shutter speed/aperture in a way that would create a shallow depth of field and would perhaps create an OOF on things in the foreground/background depending on where you are focusing.

There's some funky distortion going on with that lens.. either way... the pictures seem ok for focus.. if it's the focus in the background, then your aperture isn't small enough to get everything in focus.

Also, since you're in full auto, your camera isn't exposing the proper subjects in the photos, so that's why some things look darker than others, when they really shouldn't be.

8 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

Odd, I didn't have to download anything to upload them.

Your right, I didnt look very well. Downloading them now.

You could print one of those focus test/offset charts and photograph that one with the focus set to the center to see if it actually focuses on the right spot or ahead or behind. 

Also auto area will most likely try to pick the closest object to focus on as far as it can. 

• Like 1