Lumia 950 Problem(s)

Hey guys,

We have some problems with a 950 Lumia.

First, it restarts when even it pleases. Randomly. There's an update 10.0.10586.29 there but it's stuck at 0%. Updates at store are stuck as well, nothing is actually updating nor downloading. Neither or Wi-Fi nor on 4G.

I'm sorry but this is an huge blow for my wife. She thought she will try WM out but now it's just frustrating for her, as well as for me to try to fix this.

The "recovery tool" or what not tells me to connect the phone to a PC. With what? USB-C to USB-c connector? Give me a break, you couldn't give an USB3 to USB-C with the damn phone? I'm not going to buy a separate cable just to do that, I'd rather return the phone and get a new one that actually comes with something that I can use.

*Done things

Restart - about 10x now

Factory reset - done

Tried to reset my routers just for this - done.

So, no wonder WM can't go over 3%

If any of yo have any good advice to give me how to get this thing working properly again, I'd be thankful.

You may have to perform a factory reset, that seems to be the advice Gabe gave for failing updates, and this would apply to the non-Insider update as well I guess.

Go to All Settings > System > About (scroll to bottom) hit "Reset your phone" 

I edited my post before you replied :D

Done. Didn't work. It did revert to the first build it came with but nothing for the restarts. Neither was it updating then.

23 minutes ago, Alwaysonacoffebreak said:

Hey guys,

We have some problems with a 950 Lumia.

First, it restarts when even it pleases. Randomly. There's an update 10.0.10586.29 there but it's stuck at 0%. Updates at store are stuck as well, nothing is actually updating nor downloading. Neither or Wi-Fi nor on 4G.

I'm sorry but this is an huge blow for my wife. She thought she will try WM out but now it's just frustrating for her, as well as for me to try to fix this.

The "recovery tool" or what not tells me to connect the phone to a PC. With what? USB-C to USB-c connector? Give me a break, you couldn't give an USB3 to USB-C with the damn phone? I'm not going to buy a separate cable just to do that, I'd rather return the phone and get a new one that actually comes with something that I can use.

*Done things

Restart - about 10x now

Factory reset - done

Tried to reset my routers just for this - done.

So, no wonder WM can't go over 3%

If any of yo have any good advice to give me how to get this thing working properly again, I'd be thankful.

Where did you buy the phone? I got a USB-C to USB cable with mine through AT&T. 

I have a 950 too but I had a USB-A to USB-C cable with the phone. You did not get one ?

I have memories that the update to 10586.29 took a very long time to start from 0%. I think I may have left it plugged in the AC adapter and let it run overnight.

What does the parameters in the Windows Store says about downloading over the wifi only?

Local carrier. While we got that "mini-PC" thingy there is no USB-C to x USB cable.

Her phone was on AC for 4 hours, nothing happened. Still stuck at 0%.

It says "Pending".

2 minutes ago, Alwaysonacoffebreak said:

Local carrier. While we got that "mini-PC" thingy there is no USB-C to x USB cable.

Her phone was on AC for 4 hours, nothing happened. Still stuck at 0%.

It says "Pending".

Define "local carrier". Are you in the United States? 

11 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Define "local carrier". Are you in the United States? 

Local as in Eastern Europe.

There was just an USB-C to USB-C. Also 2 chargers. One for the phone, one for the "PC thingy".

2 hours ago, Alwaysonacoffebreak said:

Local as in Eastern Europe.

There was just an USB-C to USB-C. Also 2 chargers. One for the phone, one for the "PC thingy".

What the heck is a "PC thingy"?! Why is the phone coming with two chargers? Something seems fishy here. 

20 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

What the heck is a "PC thingy"?! Why is the phone coming with two chargers? Something seems fishy here. 

The Continuum Dock, may be?

2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

There's another thing you can try. Use the Windows Device Recovery Tool, As far as I know, it defaults to the latest firmware and also loads 10586.29.

Yeah but updating via the WDRT is going to require the USB cable between the desktop and the phone and apparently it is missing.

Back on the original problem, I am going to suggest to verify that the phone is connected to the wifi so that updates do not get blocked by a settings which prevents downloading them over a 4G Network and let the phone plugged in overnight and see what happens

7 hours ago, Vykranth said:

The Continuum Dock, may be?

Yeah but updating via the WDRT is going to require the USB cable between the desktop and the phone and apparently it is missing.

Back on the original problem, I am going to suggest to verify that the phone is connected to the wifi so that updates do not get blocked by a settings which prevents downloading them over a 4G Network and let the phone plugged in overnight and see what happens

Yeah, Dock, thats it. Forgot the word.

Tried to leave it overnight, didnt work either.

Guess I will have to contact MS support after work.

My Lumia 950 (AT&T) came with a wall charger and a USB-C cable. I also had some issues out of the box like you're describing, update not moving beyond 0% overnight, plugged in. The solution is to reset via Windows Device Recovery Tool, as mentioned. You may have also noticed that the phone is getting hot and battery life sucks... That is because it's all screwed up trying to update but can't, including all Store apps. So I would not suggest a standard phone reset, I tried it several times and it didn't fix it. You need to go to your carrier and have them give you what should come with the phone and run the recovery tool. It will be fine afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah.

Got an cable, did the whole WDRT.

It updated, store apps are now updating as it should but the restart issue still came back after a week.

Waiting for the new update to reach and if that doesn't fix it I'll return it and take something else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, an update.

20160311_155611.jpg

What a wonderful experience with this phone we've had so far. Thanks Microsoft.

Just to be clear, I didn't even try to reset it in anyway. First it had the blue screen with the :( and now this. Urgh, last phone I'll ever touch from them.