GNU / Linux February 2016 Desktop Thread


Recommended Posts

Barney T.

GNU / Linux February 2016 Desktops - Posting Guidelines

- Embedded images should be smaller than or equal to 1440x900 (preferably 1024x768).
- The file size for image previews should be no larger than 750 KB.
- Images linked externally should be no larger than 3 MB.

- If you plan to img-embed your desktop, please try to keep it under 100k (It's recommended that you link it, externally).
- Stay within the board rules, no matter how yummy you may believe it to be.
- If you are going to quote, there isn't a need to quote an img-embeded picture - Just don't do it. Please just reference the post by page number/page link/etc.
The desktops thread is not to be used as a means to post images of a pornographic or otherwise provocative nature. We do not support a babes forum and neither will we in an unofficial capacity. Please help to keep the thread relevant and safe to browse for everyone.
- The moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or remove your posts as necessary so they may comply with our Community Rules and so that this thread remains on topic.

- In the interests of keeping the thread on topic it is strongly urged that you format your posts in the following order:

Themes: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
Wallpaper: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
Icons: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
Programs: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).

Linux System Stats Script - Produced by our own Neowin members, Haggis and Karl L (+xorangekiller)!
For finding mystery wallpapers, consider using Google Images Reverse Search or Tineye.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Barney T. pinned this topic
simonlang

just went for a darker theme again. let's see how long it will last

Spectacle.w29683.thumb.jpg.5c35804b53f3d

 

Spectacle.n29683.thumb.jpg.c105b2250f08e

 

Spectacle.w296813.thumb.jpg.0fd32c7ebf7c

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensky

What theme, icons, etc are you suing? that looks nice! I will install Antergos for that :p

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
7 hours ago, Ravensky said:

What theme, icons, etc are you suing? that looks nice! I will install Antergos for that :p

this should work with any KDE plasma next distro.

 

Desktop-Theme: Bailero

Icons: Square-Beam-KDE

Window-Decorations: KDE-Oxygen (pre-installed)

Color-Scheme: Papirus Dark

Wallpaper: AntergosBlack

 

Now, if not already done, switch to the darkside theme here on neowin for a perfect fit.

 

hope i did not forget anything, well one last thing maybe, you could switch to a brighter mouse cursor for better contrast which i will try to do now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensky
22 hours ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

this should work with any KDE plasma next distro.

 

Desktop-Theme: Bailero

Icons: Square-Beam-KDE

Window-Decorations: KDE-Oxygen (pre-installed)

Color-Scheme: Papirus Dark

Wallpaper: AntergosBlack

 

Now, if not already done, switch to the darkside theme here on neowin for a perfect fit.

 

hope i did not forget anything, well one last thing maybe, you could switch to a brighter mouse cursor for better contrast which i will try to do now.

I wish the neowin forums had a dark theme...so it would match the frontend... O_O oh WOW nm I just found out...how long have I been missing this? O_O

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
2 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

I wish the neowin forums had a dark theme...so it would match the frontend... O_O oh WOW nm I just found out...how long have I been missing this? O_O

better late than never! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
chrisj1968
On 2/3/2016 at 8:20 AM, Simon Lang 9047 said:

just went for a darker theme again. let's see how long it will last

Spectacle.w29683.thumb.jpg.5c35804b53f3d

 

Spectacle.n29683.thumb.jpg.c105b2250f08e

 

Spectacle.w296813.thumb.jpg.0fd32c7ebf7c

Now that's a sweet desktop! the icons and overall theme and such are beyond words. Do you ever visit distrowatch? I find myself looking in from time to time at the latest linux distro

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
5 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

Now that's a sweet desktop! the icons and overall theme and such are beyond words. Do you ever visit distrowatch? I find myself looking in from time to time at the latest linux distro

thank you sir! and yep, being on distro watch regulary to check the latest distros. and when i find some interesting, i try them out in virtualbox. there are just so many, and because you can customize every little bit, every installation looks unique

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensky
Just now, Simon Lang 9047 said:

thank you sir! and yep, being on distro watch regulary to check the latest distros. and when i find some interesting, i try them out in virtualbox. there are just so many, and because you can customize every little bit, every installation looks unique

hmm I am having no cluck with installing square-beam icons...its telling me its an invalid theme file =/ I just downloaded the tar.gz, unzipped it to the  ~/.icons and its not showing up in my icon themes... hmmm what am I missing?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
Just now, Ravensky said:

hmm I am having no cluck with installing square-beam icons...its telling me its an invalid theme file =/ I just downloaded the tar.gz, unzipped it to the  ~/.icons and its not showing up in my icon themes... hmmm what am I missing?

 

afaik you need to do the following: go to system settings, icons, chose 'install theme file' then a location finder will open and you go to the directory of the .tar.gz hit ok then it should install. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensky
Just now, Simon Lang 9047 said:

afaik you need to do the following: go to system settings, icons, chose 'install theme file' then a location finder will open and you go to the directory of the .tar.gz hit ok then it should install. 

I did that it fails when I point it to the Square-Beam-KED_1.0.tar.gz file I downloaded =/

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
1 minute ago, Ravensky said:

I did that it fails when I point it to the Square-Beam-KED_1.0.tar.gz file I downloaded =/

do you use any KDE4 based distro or plasma next?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensky

yeah I am running the same distro you are =) Antergos

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
Just now, Ravensky said:

yeah I am running the same distro you are =) Antergos

try to extract the icon pack to '/usr/share/.icons'  (you need root-access for this)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensky
Just now, Simon Lang 9047 said:

try to extract the icon pack to '/usr/share/.icons'  (you need root-access for this)

you mean /user/share/icons?

 

Just now, Simon Lang 9047 said:

try to extract the icon pack to '/usr/share/.icons'  (you need root-access for this)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang

'/usr/share/icons' 

that should it be 

 

if that won't work either, try to download the file again, however i doubt it's corrupt as you could open and extract it.

 

p.s.: did you run a full system upgrade before trying to install the iconpack?

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang

another option would be to use the gnome icon theme from the AUR (not 100% sure but it should be the same):

'yaourt -S square-beam-icon-theme'

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensky

I'm going back to gnome I don't like KDE... lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
3 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

I'm going back to gnome I don't like KDE... lol

how? i meant the gnome theme should work for KDE too, as it's just the icons. did the above step not work for you? what about system upgrades?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensky
Just now, Simon Lang 9047 said:

how? i meant the gnome theme should work for KDE too, as it's just the icons. did the above step not work for you? what about system upgrades?

everything was updated, and even after I installed it into the /usr/share/icons folder it did not show up, I will try another download unless you could somehow share your file with me?  I am in the Antergos setup atm though, doing a clean install with gnome =)

 

Another thing I am used to apt so pacman is going to get some getting used to =/

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
Just now, Ravensky said:

everything was updated, and even after I installed it into the /usr/share/icons folder it did not show up, I will try another download unless you could somehow share your file with me?

yep can do! i will upload it but this might take a bit of time and as i need to go shopping soon i think you ll see the link here posted in about 1 hour or so

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensky
Just now, Simon Lang 9047 said:

yep can do! i will upload it but this might take a bit of time and as i need to go shopping soon i think you ll see the link here posted in about 1 hour or so

Thank you sir =)

Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang

i underestimated my uploading speed. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2qibVlMc1O1aWh6a3pxZjZ2d3c/view?usp=sharing

 

would try first the approach to install that file over system-settings, icons, import...

 

also would be interesting if you could compare the filesize of your archive with mine and see if it's a difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensky
Just now, Simon Lang 9047 said:

i underestimated my uploading speed. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2qibVlMc1O1aWh6a3pxZjZ2d3c/view?usp=sharing

 

would try first the approach to install that file over system-settings, icons, import...

 

also would be interesting if you could compare the filesize of your archive with mine and see if it's a difference.

Thank you I copied the icon folder to ~/.icons and its working great!  not sure what was up with that first file I downloaded...thank you I appreciate it!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
simonlang
2 minutes ago, Ravensky said:

Thank you I copied the icon folder to ~/.icons and its working great!  not sure what was up with that first file I downloaded...thank you I appreciate it!

so i suspect it was the archive then. weird, probably only a few bytes difference so that it could be opened and extracted but would refuse to work.

happy to hear it's working now! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Barney T. locked and unpinned this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By zikalify
      Canalys: Global PC market saw 25% YoY growth in 4Q20
      by Paul Hill



      The analyst firm Canalys has reported that the global PC market saw 25% year-over-year growth in the fourth quarter of 2020. The firm classifies the PC market as desktops, notebooks (including Chromebooks) and workstations but excludes tablets which are sometimes used by some in place of a full-blown PC. Total PC shipments in 2020 grew by 11% reaching 297 million units.

      The full-year growth in the PC market is the highest that’s been seen since 2020 and the number of units shipped is the highest seen since 2014. The growth in 2020 was driven by laptops and mobile workstations; they saw a growth rate of 44% compared to 2019. Desktops, on the other hand, were less successful with shipments falling 20% compared to 2019; there were 61.9 million shipments in this segment of the market in 2020.

      In the fourth quarter, the biggest PC vendor was Lenovo which shipped 23.1 million units, in second place was HP which shipped 19.1 million units. Dell came in third place shipping more than 15 million units for the first time ever, Apple was in fourth place shipping 7.1 million units and Acer came fifth with 6.1 million units shipped. Other companies shipped a combined 18.9 million units in the fourth quarter.

      According to Canalys Research Director Rushabh Doshi, PCs have been at the centre of the digital transformation that the world has gone through in the past year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Doshi said that going forward it’s going to be “extremely difficult” to write off PCs and that it’s likely that they’re here to stay.

    • By Barney T.
      Welcome to the 2021 Desktops Thread
       
      Desktops Thread is split into 4 threads over the course of a year to reduce clutter.
      1Q - January through March.
      2Q - April through June.
      3Q - July through September.
      4Q - October through December.
       
      Posting Guidelines
      *The file size for image previews (or embedded images) should be no larger than 750 KB.
      *Images linked externally should be no larger than 3 MB.
      *Please use reduced-size thumbnails, where possible, out of respect for people running on lower bandwidth or screen resolutions.
       
      *Off Topic Posts will be edited or removed. Please support our rule set no matter how yummy you think your desktop is.
      *The desktops thread is not to be used as a means to post images of a pornographic or otherwise provocative nature. We do not support a babes forum and neither will we in an unofficial capacity. Please help to keep the thread relevant and safe to browse for everyone.
      *The moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or remove your posts as necessary so they may comply with our Community Rules.
       
      *In the interests of keeping the thread on topic it is strongly urged that you format your posts in the following order:
      *Themes: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      *Wallpaper: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      *Icons: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      *Programs: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
       
      Important Note: Any image posted that is over the established guidelines will be removed! Use a thumbnail or use a text link to your image. If your image is removed, this is why.
    • By Barney T.
      Welcome to the GNU/Linux Desktops Thread!
       
      GNU/ Linux Desktop Thread is split into 4 threads over the course of a year to reduce clutter.
      1Q - January through March.
      2Q - April through June.
      3Q - July through September.
      4Q - October through December.
       
      Posting Guidelines
      - Embedded images should be smaller than or equal to 1440x900 (preferably 1024x768).
      - The file size for image previews should be no larger than 750 KB.
      - Images linked externally should be no larger than 3 MB.

      - If you plan to img-embed your desktop, please try to keep it under 100k (It's recommended that you link it, externally).
      - Stay within the board rules, no matter how yummy you may believe it to be.
      - If you are going to quote, there isn't a need to quote an img-embeded picture - Just don't do it. Please just reference the post by page number/page link/etc.
      - The desktops thread is not to be used as a means to post images of a pornographic or otherwise provocative nature. We do not support a babes forum and neither will we in an unofficial capacity. Please help to keep the thread relevant and safe to browse for everyone.
      - The moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or remove your posts as necessary so they may comply with our Community Rules and so that this thread remains on topic.

      - In the interests of keeping the thread on topic it is strongly urged that you format your posts in the following order:

      Themes: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      Wallpaper: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      Icons: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      Programs: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).

      Linux System Stats Script - Produced by our own Neowin members, Haggis and Karl L (+xorangekiller)!
      For finding mystery wallpapers, consider using Google Images Reverse Search or Tineye.
    • By Barney T.
      Welcome to the Mac OS 2021 Desktops thread!
       
      Mac OS X Desktops are split into 4 threads over the course of a year to reduce clutter.
      1Q - January through March.
      2Q - April through June.
      3Q - July through September.
      4Q - October through December.

      Posting Guidelines
      - Embedded images should be smaller than or equal to 1440x900 (preferably 1024x768).
      - The file size for image previews should be no larger than 750 KB.
      - Images linked externally should be no larger than 3 MB.

      - If you plan to img-embed your desktop, please try to keep it under 100k (It's recommended that you link it, externally).
      - Stay within the board rules, no matter how yummy you may believe it to be.
      - If you are going to quote, there isn't a need to quote an img-embeded picture - Just don't do it. Please just reference the post by page number/page link/etc.
      - The desktops thread is not to be used as a means to post images of a pornographic or otherwise provocative nature. We do not support a babes forum and neither will we in an unofficial capacity. Please help to keep the thread relevant and safe to browse for everyone.
      - The moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or remove your posts as necessary so they may comply with our Community Rules and so that the thread remains on topic.

      In the interests of keeping the thread on topic it is strongly urged that you format your posts in the following order:
      - Themes: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      - Wallpaper: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      - Icons: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      - Programs: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).

      For finding mystery wallpapers, consider using Google Images Reverse Search or Tineye.
      Please use reduced-size thumbnails, where possible, out of respect for people running on lower bandwidth or screen resolutions.
      Any image posted that is over established guidelines will be removed! Use a thumbnail or use a text link to your image. If your image is removed, this is why.
    • By Barney T.
      Welcome to the Desktops Thread
       
      Desktops Thread is split into 4 threads over the course of a year to reduce clutter.
      1Q - January through March.
      2Q - April through June.
      3Q - July through September.
      4Q - October through December.
       
      Posting Guidelines
      *The file size for image previews (or embedded images) should be no larger than 750 KB.
      *Images linked externally should be no larger than 3 MB.
      *Please use reduced-size thumbnails, where possible, out of respect for people running on lower bandwidth or screen resolutions.
       
      *Off Topic Posts will be edited or removed. Please support our rule set no matter how yummy you think your desktop is.
      *The desktops thread is not to be used as a means to post images of a pornographic or otherwise provocative nature. We do not support a babes forum and neither will we in an unofficial capacity. Please help to keep the thread relevant and safe to browse for everyone.
      *The moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or remove your posts as necessary so they may comply with our Community Rules.
       
      *In the interests of keeping the thread on topic it is strongly urged that you format your posts in the following order:
      *Themes: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      *Wallpaper: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      *Icons: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
      *Programs: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
       
      Important Note: Any image posted that is over the established guidelines will be removed! Use a thumbnail or use a text link to your image. If your image is removed, this is why.