GNU / Linux February 2016 Desktop Thread

12 hours ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

thank you sir! and yep, being on distro watch regulary to check the latest distros. and when i find some interesting, i try them out in virtualbox. there are just so many, and because you can customize every little bit, every installation looks unique

I like the distrwatches tagline: putting the fun back in computing

• Like 2

On 2016-02-03 at 9:20 AM, Simon Lang 9047 said:

<snip>

Do you know anywhere to get images of the install screen(s)?  I am curious what it looks like.

2 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

Do you know anywhere to get images of the install screen(s)?  I am curious what it looks like.

from the installation of antergos you mean? 

here are a few: http://landoflinux.com/linux_install_antergos.html

they are a bit outdated, cnchi looks a bit more polished now but the order remains the same.

4 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I gave Antergos KDE a spin, it just wasn't for me. A bit too flaky for my comfort level.

could you specify in what way?

11 hours ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

could you specify in what way?

During the hour that I used Antergos:

- I had to ctrl-alt-backpace back to the login screen more than once because X was locking up

- KDE in general was quite crashy for no good reason at all -- I changed the theme to Breeze-Dark and the font to my customary FreeSans Bold, and attempted to put some widgets on the Desktop. The widget picker wouldn't stay open, and wouldn't launch again unless I launched it from the Taskbar. The only other change I made was setting the background to a slideshow. That's it. 

- I didn't add any software at all to the installation. Didn't have a chance to -- I couldn't find the package manager.

By that point, after three lockups, I was like 'umm ... naaah.' and rebooted into Mint.

1 minute ago, Unobscured Vision said:

During the hour that I used Antergos:

- I had to ctrl-alt-backpace back to the login screen more than once because X was locking up

- KDE in general was quite crashy for no good reason at all -- I changed the theme to Breeze-Dark and the font to my customary FreeSans Bold, and attempted to put some widgets on the Desktop. The widget picker wouldn't stay open, and wouldn't launch again unless I launched it from the Taskbar. The only other change I made was setting the background to a slideshow. That's it. 

- I didn't add any software at all to the installation. Didn't have a chance to -- I couldn't find the package manager.

By that point, after three lockups, I was like 'umm ... naaah.' and rebooted into Mint.

weird. it runs perfectly stable here since weeks.  anyway at least there are lots of distros to chose from and if mint works fine for you, perfect! :)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

weird. it runs perfectly stable here since weeks.  anyway at least there are lots of distros to chose from and if mint works fine for you, perfect! :)

Yep, Mint fits the bill perfectly for the households' needs as well as mine. I can do my College and Dev work on it, Gaming (all I'm really playing is Kerbal Space Program nowadays), I've got WINE installed with FLStudio (which I maintain the WINE-HQ Application Database entry for) and other software I use .. it's all we need around here. :yes: I can always install Windows in a VM if I need something else running.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Barney T. locked and unpinned this topic