No video hardware acceleration on my Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70 tablet?

I have a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F running Android 5.0.1.

I am trying to play x265 videos from the internal storage.

MX Player shows "HW decoder not supported" and "HW+ decoder not supported."

VLC shows "Hardware acceleration error, switching to software decoding."

KMPlayer shows "An error occurred with hardware acceleration."

Software decoding in all of the above apps is too slow, the quality/frame rate un-watchable.

There is a pretty big difference between "no hardware acceleration" and "no hardware acceleration for x.265" to my knowledge.  I can't say if it'll help, but you might want to try an older format.

Edited by randomevent

While I don't know the definite answer, could it be down to the CPU? I did a bit of research and it turns out that it is not really well equipped for 4K video, as it doesn't seem to have encoding/decoding support for anything greater than 1080p, nor does it support API's such as OpenGL.

I believe the Mediatek MT8165 SoC inside your tablet doesn't support hardware deciding of x265 content.

x265 is still up and coming and is not really supported by a lot of hardware at the moment.

4 hours ago, jamesyfx said:

While I don't know the definite answer, could it be down to the CPU? I did a bit of research and it turns out that it is not really well equipped for 4K video, as it doesn't seem to have encoding/decoding support for anything greater than 1080p, nor does it support API's such as OpenGL.

It uses a Mali T760 from what I saw, but I couldn't find any info about what video decoding that does.  http://www.arm.com/products/multimedia/mali-gpu/high-performance/mali-t760.php

API Support

OpenGL® ES 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1
OpenCL™ 1.1,
DirectX® 11,
RenderScript™Full support for next-generation and legacy 2D/3D graphics applications

Some claim it uses a PowerVR chipset with a lower power proc, but my device does not seem to.

On 22/02/2016 at 9:45 AM, randomevent said:

There is a pretty big difference between "no hardware acceleration" and "no hardware acceleration for x.265" to my knowledge.  I can't say if it'll help, but you might want to try an older format.

You're right :) I wonder if there's a way to get good performance via. the CPU?

On 22/02/2016 at 2:36 PM, jamesyfx said:

x265 is an open source free software and library for encoding video using the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC/H.265) standard.

It doesn't mean 4k video.

On 22/02/2016 at 2:55 PM, InsaneNutter said:

I believe the Mediatek MT8165 SoC inside your tablet doesn't support hardware deciding of x265 content.

x265 is still up and coming and is not really supported by a lot of hardware at the moment.

17 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

x265 is an open source free software and library for encoding video using the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC/H.265) standard.

It doesn't mean 4k video.

To be frank, good performance and Mediatek dont usually work together. Part of the problem is Mediatek doesnt release the kernel source, not even to OEMs, and sources that are available are in strange formats and you have to jump through hoops to get them.

You could try rooting it, so that you can use a program to change the governor to more of a performance mode.

Have you tried other video files? It is possible your device does support encoding via HW, but in this case the issue might have to do with which x265 profile the video was encoded with.

I also read that, the chipset manufacturer needs to support HEVC, until then HW and HW+ decoding wont work with x265. I have no idea if Mediatek supports this on your model. I would try using handbrake to convert your file from x265 to x264 and see if it works better.

Edited by Circaflex