You asked for it, you're getting it! (disable all sponsored posts)

There's a new option on the main page that allows all logged in members to disable any Sponsored news from being shown in the main feed, Sponsored news items are Neowin Deals and free eBooks or anything tagged 'Sponsored'.

If you are a lurker and want to customize your reading experience here at Neowin, please register a free account here.

SNAG-0004.thumb.png.2d30e8fe689c7c3401f1

Simply click on the Categories menu below the main page promos and toggle Sponsored news on or off. The same setting also applies to Software news (show or not in main feed).

Ad free Subscribers have Sponsored posts hidden by default, but you can enable them by using the toggle if you really want to see them!

This option was added as a direct result of member feedback.

Update: August 30 2017

This option was moved into the user menu, which means only registered (logged in) users can use the option to hide Sponsored posts.

SNAG-0028.png

Guests are welcome to sign into Neowin using the Fast sign in procedure at the top of this post, join us! 

One small bug report, on the dark theme, the Sponsored radio box is White, while Software is black (matching the theme), regardless of it's status. 

This is on Chrome Stable, Windows 10.

Just now, Ryoken said:

One small bug report, on the dark theme, the Sponsored radio box is White, while Software is black (matching the theme), regardless of it's status. 

This is on Chrome Stable, Windows 10.

I've passed it to the devs (Y)

Just now, Brandon H said:

nice addition. on a similar front are there plans to bring back the work safe filter for the forums?

Yes Yes YES! (we absolutely need it) :p @DaveLegg has started work on it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

nice addition. on a similar front are there plans to bring back the work safe filter for the forums?

Should be here this weekend or next, if everything goes well

Thanks. It shouldn't be a radio button, it makes it look like a choice between sponsored or software. Why not a check box? 

5 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Thanks. It shouldn't be a radio button, it makes it look like a choice between sponsored or software. Why not a check box? 

Well it's a stopgap for now, eventually that toggle will be in those posts which can be filtered.

If you have set them to not display, you can always still access the posts from the Mega Menu dropdown on main, or go in the forum post and follow the link to the article.

6 minutes ago, max22 said:

Thank you! Greatly appreciated!

Any news on Tapatalk support ?

There are no plans to re-enable Tapatalk. The stats for use were also not that convincing, sorry! The site loads great on mobile now, not something we could say two or three years ago (with the forums).

• Like 2

Thanks, I am still waiting on another nice one for logged in members too.. out of page ads (the ones that stick to the top or bottom of the browser) getting disabled for logged in. I put in the request two weeks ago, but heard something back yesterday, hopefully a resolve before the end of the week.

So is it just people who have the Sponsored Posts disabled that see this, or is everyone? (Also, obviously, broken in dark theme)

w9EnfuU.png

1 hour ago, Ryoken said:

So is it just people who have the Sponsored Posts disabled that see this, or is everyone? (Also, obviously, broken in dark theme)

Fixed, thanks to @Redmak the deals bar is a 'feature' we could tie it in with sponsored filter I guess hmmmm (ad free do not see it).

I don't remember seeing it at all before today.. Hence why I was wondering. It, combined with the related stories, and the previous/next story, just eats up almost a page of "dead space" between the articles and the comments :/ (Personally I'd rather see them run vertically along the side next to the comments, like the Trending stories section does with the story, but thats me)

Just now, Ryoken said:

I don't remember seeing it at all before today.. Hence why I was wondering. It, combined with the related stories, and the previous/next story, just eats up almost a page of "dead space" between the articles and the comments :/ (Personally I'd rather see them run vertically along the side next to the comments, like the Trending stories section does with the story, but thats me)

That was an idea. but if there are no comments, then you also have a massive empty comment space.

1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

That was an idea. but if there are no comments, then you also have a massive empty comment space.

Ya but people always comment, for better or worse lol Most stories would probably have that space filled with comments within the first hr, less if it's a midday post or really popular.

But at least it blends in now :)

Thanks, Steven, that's very good news!   (Y)

5 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Thanks, I am still waiting on another nice one for logged in members too.. out of page ads (the ones that stick to the top or bottom of the browser) getting disabled for logged in. I put in the request two weeks ago, but heard something back yesterday, hopefully a resolve before the end of the week.

And don't forget (I'm sure you haven't ;) ) that annoying popup you have to close before continuing onto the site.  (The US Cellular that I see, not sure about anyone else)  see link below   Thanks!!

10 minutes ago, Raze said:

Thanks, Steven, that's very good news!   (Y)

And don't forget (I'm sure you haven't ;) ) that annoying popup you have to close before continuing onto the site.  (The US Cellular that I see, not sure about anyone else)  see link below   Thanks!!

Yeah that is what I am pursuing at the moment @Raze (Y) 

• 3 weeks later...