Giving Linux Another Try

T3X4S
3 minutes ago, sinetheo said:

Well if you hate Windows and love Linux and view paid software as the enemy of the people there is always www.slashdot.org the anti neowin.net. :-) Check it out?

I only installed it to learn and because I was bored.  It wasnt because I dont like Windows or paying for things - hell - I  buy software for other people who cant get it on their own... so - it is really just a matter of me being restless...

• Like 2
Order_66
1 hour ago, sinetheo said:

Well if you hate Windows and love Linux and view paid software as the enemy of the people there is always www.slashdot.org the anti neowin.net. :-) Check it out?

I am leaving that site because of the anti MS hate and zealotry truly started to scare me. Whenever anything MS comes up you see comments on how MS is logging into everyones computers to steal data to serving malware advertisements to Windows XP best OS ever etc. 

So you basically traded unrelenting hate for unrelenting praise  :rolleyes:

• Like 2
Order_66
2 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Maybe I'll get a mac   :)

Excellent choice, not that I have any problems with linux but it really is boring and not nearly as polished as OS X however I am a bit fond of Lubuntu, it's has a nice and polished feel to it IMO not as smooth as OS X but close.

Not to mention gaming support, while neither compares to the monopoly on windows, it's a tad better on a mac than linux in my experience.

kozukumi

Yeah people love to just rip into Windows 10 because of the telemetry which is ###### as it isn't "spying" on you at all. People love to run with conspiracy theories though, especially since Snowden. 

I like and dislike many things about OS X, Windows and Linux. Nothing is perfect, they each do some things better and worse than each other. That is why I am not really a fanboy of any platform, well except maybe Android ;) but nothing in the desktop OS world. 

• Like 1
T3X4S
5 hours ago, kozukumi said:

Yeah people love to just rip into Windows 10 because of the telemetry which is ###### as it isn't "spying" on you at all. People love to run with conspiracy theories though, especially since Snowden. 

I like and dislike many things about OS X, Windows and Linux. Nothing is perfect, they each do some things better and worse than each other. That is why I am not really a fanboy of any platform, well except maybe Android ;) but nothing in the desktop OS world. 

Agreed.

Trying to decide who is worse: linux fanboyism, or the mac addicts.

binaryzero
10 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Agreed.

There are a few people that, I believe, lurk the forums waiting for a thread such as this - then unleash their FUD and tin foil hat crap.

After getting through the small hurdles I had with this Linux install - I was pumped - now.... haven't turned it on again - its like - well that was neat - now it offers nothing.

I have practically done full circle on this.  I went from - "well Im bored, I'll give mint another try" to "hey - this worked out nicely - everything is working" to "this offers nothing over Windows"

Maybe I'll get a mac   :)

This. Unless you have a reason to run Linux, there's really no interest in it.

...Unless you're hardcore, like ADSI edit hardcore. 

Personally I've only ever run Linux to run glftpd.... Windows, I dunno, it pays for 100% of my expenses.

Bottom line: Enjoy computing in general, it's fun when you take all the ###### out of it. Computer techs remind me of mechanics, each one has their own theory and opinion on something.

• Like 2
Unobscured Vision

Good grief, never thought I'd say this -- I agree with Jared on this one.

There's really no good reason to run 'nix unless you have a real purpose to or unless you're bored like Tex was. I have my own reasons for using it, software that works better on it, and because I'm uncomfortable using Windows now. Any software I need Windows for I have working through WINE. I got the household and any other family members on 'nix who were willing mainly out of frustration over drive-by spyware installs and identity theft problems. That can happen on any platform, really.

So I'll echo Jared's statement -- Enjoy computing in general, it's fun when you take all the ###### out of it.

• Like 1
simonlang
44 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

You can find many Linux tips at this link:

http://www.brunolinux.com/

bookmarked! nice with the dancing tux on top :D

• Like 1
T3X4S
6 hours ago, Gary7 said:

You can find many Linux tips at this link:

http://www.brunolinux.com/

Why am I not surprised the website looks like it was designed in the 90s ?   How apropos 

simonlang
41 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Why am I not surprised the website looks like it was designed in the 90s ?   How apropos 

the website design does not matter for the info the website provides. it's easy to read and well structured. if you fancy pictures and bling bling go apple or microsoft (not bashing just shooting back!) 

th3rEsa

Better designed Linux websites like linuxmint.com tend to get hacked because Linux admins who care about blingbling don't care about security.

• Like 1
T3X4S
1 hour ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

the website design does not matter for the info the website provides. it's easy to read and well structured. if you fancy pictures and bling bling go apple or microsoft (not bashing just shooting back!) 

1 hour ago, th3rEsa said:

Better designed Linux websites like linuxmint.com tend to get hacked because Linux admins who care about blingbling don't care about security.

Im confused - were these supposed to be justifications ?

adrynalyne
2 hours ago, th3rEsa said:

Something something Wordpress hacked again something. 

Nothing to to do with any OS whatsoever. 

kozukumi
12 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Often the worse designed the site the better the quality of the content. So many modern/pretty sites contain nothing but copy/paste from other sites but are wrong/out-of-date. 

• Like 2
simonlang
2 hours ago, kozukumi said:

Often the worse designed the site the better the quality of the content. So many modern/pretty sites contain nothing but copy/paste from other sites but are wrong/out-of-date. 

true, indeed. look at the arch wiki for example. contains basically only text and links and info boxes, not a single picture. would i call it pretty or fullfilling the latest design standards possible? probably not. but highly useful, very easy to read and provides the necessary infos quickly. 

usually sites which can't provide much useful content will try to compensate with bling bling and other effects.

• Like 1
+Gary7
18 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Because it was. It was designed by a nice guy by the Name of Bruno. He taught Linux at a University in Europe. He passed several years ago. Why is it that some just can't be thankful instead of condemning a very helpful site. Bruno knew more about Linux than you will ever know.

• Like 2
simonlang
2 hours ago, Gary7 said:

He passed several years ago. 

RIP! :(

simplezz
On 28/02/2016 at 8:17 PM, T3X4S said:

I only installed it to learn and because I was bored.  It wasnt because I dont like Windows or paying for things - hell - I  buy software for other people who cant get it on their own... so - it is really just a matter of me being restless...

That's fair enough. We all like to experiment from time to time. However, you probably won't learn much or understand the advantages of Linux doing it this way. You really have to find a subject interesting in order to get anything worthwhile out of it. That's been my experience.

kozukumi
3 hours ago, simplezz said:

That's fair enough. We all like to experiment from time to time. However, you probably won't learn much or understand the advantages of Linux doing it this way. You really have to find a subject interesting in order to get anything worthwhile out of it. That's been my experience.

Agreed. You get a real feel for Linux when you want/need to do something with it. I wanted to learn C and Linux is so much nicer than Windows for that IMHO. Package managers just make life so simple for getting and using libraries compared to the mess it is on Windows. 

T3X4S
6 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Because it was. It was designed by a nice guy by the Name of Bruno. He taught Linux at a University in Europe. He passed several years ago. Why is it that some just can't be thankful instead of condemning a very helpful site. Bruno knew more about Linux than you will ever know.

Will know more than I ever will ?  Well that isnt saying very much.

+Gary7

You know about as much as I do. I may get back into it this summer.

Bi4me

Only on the Linux boards I can read and learn more about Windows than Linux. And while we the computer geeks love Linux I also think there's a reason why it's the least used desktop OS in the world.

th3rEsa

No, we don't, and no, it's not.