Google photos is infuriating and a disgrace.

I have seen this issue on my mother and girlfriends phones, they have limited memory, so it's useful to have google photos on the app to upload their photos to a could, then delete the device copy, right?

Wrong.

For some stupid reason, google photos includes both back up & sync as one option.

So I can't backup all my pictures, then delete them from the device.

When you do this, it redownloads the pictures to the device, filling up the phones memory.

If you turn backup & sync off, you have to upload the pictures manually, then in doing so, it automatically fills the phone up again, so you have to turn sync off, then delete all the photos it just decided to download as you were uploading the new photos.

What an absolute JOKE.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions on ways to fix this?

Wait, there's more...

If I delete the copy on the phone in google photos, when backup and sync is OFF, it's holding onto a message to tell the online backup to delete my backups!

This app is an absolute mess, and an absolute disgrace.

Edited by cammy

That doesn't look right to me. Google Photos on my wife's S4 does automatic syncing when she takes her photos and she is able to delete the photos on her device from within the Samsung Gallery app without the photos in Google Photos being removed. The same behavior goes for my IPhone 6s. Maybe you are deleting photos from within the Google Photos app which means the photos would of course be removed from both the device and the server. The app does have a trash bin so you can restore them I think within 30 days (at least for the IPhone).

I haven't had any problems with this on my storage limited devices (iOS and Android). Something definitely doesn't sound right...The alternative is to use your computer to grab the pics from your phone and upload them manually to Google Photos. 

Google Photos Help. You should read how it works.