WinME, Can it be good?

If Windows ME is so bad then surely Microsoft is accountable for these errors & should fix/correct them?

Upgrading to XP is not the answer for some & should not be as Microsoft is still supporting the Operating System.

Stability is the Number 1 thing that needs to be fixed & MS should be held accountable for it.

If it was something else that you had bought (Not just PC related) & it kept on breaking down & was still under warranty with the Manufacturer still supporting it then you would expect it to be fixed, & not for you to go out & buy the next version instead.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If Windows ME is so bad then surely Microsoft is accountable for these errors & should fix/correct them?

Upgrading to XP is not the answer for some & should not be as Microsoft is still supporting the Operating System.

Stability is the Number 1 thing that needs to be fixed & MS should be held accountable for it.

If it was something else that you had bought (Not just PC related) & it kept on breaking down & was still under warranty with the Manufacturer still supporting it then you would expect it to be fixed, & not for you to go out & buy the next version instead.

The warranty only covers certain things. It does not cover replacing the OS. It is up to you to replace the OS at your desire. The thing that is REALLY messed up is that replacing the OS voids warranty. Buying a product right after it is released and/or not researching said product is a mistake that the consumer must accept. Hence the term: "buyer beware". If you don't like the fact that you had to do that, then don't buy from MS anymore.

Some people think that two wrongs makes a right and download a new version of Windows for free. Can't blame 'em, but not a good idea.

Bah, there is nothing wrong with WinME. Sure it is no WinXP but it kicks the crap out of Win98 IMO.

Faster boot. Better networking. Sys restore. Etc.

I just wish I knew where all this hate stemmed from, probably ******ized OEM versions from Compaq

Bah, there is nothing wrong with WinME. Sure it is no WinXP but it kicks the crap out of Win98 IMO.

Faster boot. Better networking. Sys restore. Etc.

There is nothing in the world that can make ME good/useful/productive/decent/acceptable/an OS

As for the above

post-10-1077747384.jpg

ME had many of the features that made XP so great. Good driver support, fast boot up, smarter hardware install wizard, nice iconset.

Unfortunately it was plagued with bugs. Had MS released a Service Pack it could have been a good OS. Just look at the difference between 98 and 98SE.

ME always sucked, since day one it sucked...they never put in the time or effort to make it any better either. they basically pushed it out the door and immediately focused on XP (then whistler) and didn't bother to fix/update/improve ME

1. XP

2. 2003 Server

3. 2000 Pro

4. Longhorn 4051 Alpha

5. Win ME (yes, even Alpha Longhorn is better than this POS)

At the start of this thread, I would have called someone who thought WinME good either a dumbass or a liar. All my friends and I have found problems with this OS. Now that I see this thread, I think I should take into account that WinME proves better for some people. It can't be a total POS if it works for some people, though it is still a POS and inferior to Win98SE.

In short: do not call someone who likes WinME a dumbass or a liar, it does work for some people.

My story:

My brand new Dell Inspiron 8000 just came in. I booted it up and it asked me for my name... clicked Next.. guess what, hehe... thats right BSOD.

So WinME only lasted 2 minutes before I got my Windows 2000 disc and installed it.

Me was THE single worst 3 months of computing experince that i have EVER had in my life. It would do this cool thing where it would reboot right about every hour of uptime. It was soo cool. Id like check the clock 'woop time to save before it crashes'

*IMO, people who post continually that Windows ME is a POS are the stupidest POS in the universe.

Windows Me can be very good. Can it be better than XP or 2k? NO. It can be and is better than 98SE with the proper support. That is the key to making it work correctly. I have and can make Windows ME work near perfect. It will never be perfect, cause it has one inherit flaw in it having to do with the 9x Kernal.

Well, against my better judgement, let me jump into the fray... :pinch:

Windows ME was horrible on my system.

AND

Windows ME cured the scanner/digital camera conflict I was having with Win98.

It did some things well, but had a lot of useless overhead and lacked "polish"...

[EDIT: added the "with Win98" clarification :pinch:]

Edited by markjensen

XP won't fly on an AMD 333 w/ 196MB RAM on 550MB HD lol.

Too bad though, it should!!

I have XP Pro on an old PB that has only a Cyrix 333mhz MII processor and 384MB's memory. Granted, not the fastest machine on earth, but sure do love that NT stability!! I had Me for a while also. Didn't have any problems in particular. Would go with 98SE as my personal choice though. Especially since MS is still supporting it. Where did that little 550MB HD come from?