Forum upgrade today (April 1) to 4.1.9

Steven P.

We're on a pretty old version (4.1.6.x) I think, and for whatever reason, the devs wanted to wait until 4.1.9 was released. Regardless, a lot has been fixed between our version and this newest one.

The upgrade will take longer than usual because there is a conversion task involved (for friendly urls) but it will not be anything like the infamous 'post conversion' task that ran for more than a week here :p

So with that, 

bring_it_on_matrix.thumb.gif.ad55f209fa9

I am still moaning at the devs to fix URLs in old posts, I don't have an update for that yet.

New or Changed Features in 4.1.9

• When your link auto-embeds in a post such as with an image, YouTube video, Twitter link, etc. an option will now display to revert the embed back to a plain text link if you do not want the embed.
  • New setting to disable embedding.
  • Facebook/Twitter integration improvements
  • If you are an administrator and encounter a system error, additional debug output will now display. Regular members will see the normal error message.
  • Custom Fields for Support Requests in Commerce now show on the front-end.
  • If an advertisement is set up with a main image, but not smaller images for tablets/mobiles, the ad would not show at all on tablets/mobiles. This has changed so the main image will display on all devices unless smaller images are provided.
  • Topics scheduled to automatically lock or unlock will now reflect this in the topic listing and when viewing the topic.
  • Placing a link to a Facebook status will embed when possible.
  • When viewing a report, the container (for example, the forum) the content is from is displayed.
  • Three character searches are now allowed in the Admin CP Live Search.
  • The Account Settings page now uses vertical rather than horizontal tabs to prevent overflow.
  • If Gravatar is enabled, and a user has not defined an profile photo, then their email address will be used to fetch from Gravatar unless explicitly set not to.
  • Gfycat embeds now use their oEmbed endpoint rather than their JS API.
  • Using Amazon CloudFront as https provider will now be recognized as valid secure connection.
  • The member REST API endpoint will now return custom fields.
  • The Developer Center for Plugins now shows the filename in the list of hooks, and when editing a hook, a breadcrumb includes a link back to the list.
  • Inline notifications can now be dismissed
  • Efficiency improvements to the search index
  • You can now close a poll independently of the topic

Important Fixes

In addition to dozens of smaller fixes this release includes fixes for the follow items that impacted many clients:

• Several security enhancements.
  • The posting parser has been made more efficient.
  • Some BBCode does not parse correctly in version 4 and we have applied some fixes for this. In general BBCode is deprecated so we only provide basic support.
  • Sitemaps could sometimes be blank if there was no content in a specific section.
  • Certain URLs from version 3 were not redirecting properly to the new version 4 format.
  • The timezone detection is now more robust and will more gracefully fail if it cannot determine a visitor's timezone.
  • Permission matrices have been reworked to send less data to prevent exceeding server limitations.
  • Decimal handling has been reworked in Commerce for more precise calculations.
  • The database class now handles InnoDB deadlocks more gracefully, and some queries have been changed to reduce the likeliness of deadlocks.
  • Performance improvements to areas which perform large updates on the members table (for example, when editing permissions).
  • Pages 'number' custom fields previously had an upper limit for submitted values around 2 billion.
  • Multiple fixes for tag searching

Also included: 4.1.8.1

This is a very small release to fix a few rather annoying issues from 4.1.8. Sorry about that :)

• Fixes an issue where incoming emails were not being received correctly.
  • Fixes an issue where guests could do a partial account registration which could cause some confusion to the administrator when editing.
  • Fixes an issue where the AdminCP dashboard may incorrectly report tasks aren't running when they actually are.

Also included: 4.1.8

This is a maintenance release to fix reported issues.

Also included: 4.1.7

This is a maintenance release to fix reported issues.

Please note that in this release we have updated the copyright data in many source files. This means that if you are upgrading through the Admin CP the update will take slightly longer to download and extract than normal.

Nick H.

An upgrade on April Fools' day? What could go wrong? :laugh:

• Like 6
+JHBrown

Well, here's to a smooth upgrade...

tumblr_n0ao23cgAF1rpc5kho1_400.gif

• Like 1
Yogurth

Since the upgrade, and I assume parts were upgraded yesterday I have 50% of success when posting in the main page news(not in the forum as I haven't tried that yet...this is my first one). Comments on the main page do not load aswell and at all. Opera 12.18.

Steven P.

The upgrade hasn't happened yet.

+LostCat

If you encounter any doom, please send it my way.  I'm amassing a collection.

+JHBrown
11 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

You have a time frame?

Steven P.
6 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

You have a time frame?

Nope, one dev is waiting on a response from another before he can start.

Yogurth
23 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I wonder what has been done to the forum, as I am not making this up. Problems arose yesterday for me.

+JHBrown
33 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

Since the upgrade, and I assume parts were upgraded yesterday I have 50% of success when posting in the main page news(not in the forum as I haven't tried that yet...this is my first one). Comments on the main page do not load aswell and at all. Opera 12.18.

Did you try a different browser? Just asking, because I was posting all day yesterday on the Front Page, and did not encounter that problem. I use Internet Exporer, Firefox, and Safari, if I'm on my iPad. I did notice a couple of duplicate posts out of nowhere though.

Yogurth
37 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

Did you try a different browser? Just asking, because I was posting all day yesterday on the Front Page, and did not encounter that problem. I use Internet Exporer, Firefox, and Safari, if I'm on my iPad. I did notice a couple of duplicate posts out of nowhere though.

Yes I did, it works as it used to work in Opera 37 and Vivaldi, just not in Opera 12.18. 

Mando

best of luck chaps.

HawkMan
2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

An upgrade on April Fools' day? What could go wrong? :laugh:

well he's not upgradign to 4.1.16 so...  (and yes, American dates are stupid)

cork1958

Oh boy! Here we go again. Still so many issues with current forums, I don't see how this can go very well, but here's hoping!

Maybe this time, we can at least get the login window to be the same one every time instead of one time getting the window where you can login anonymously and the next time you can't! That one shouldn't be to tough. ;)

Sub

Dropping in to say hi.... We're on the REddit Robin and I ran into one of your developers!

Hows it going Neobond? Redmack still there! Kick ass guys!

Sub - Gaming section 2002

• Like 2
Steven P.
11 hours ago, Sub said:

Dropping in to say hi.... We're on the REddit Robin and I ran into one of your developers!

Hows it going Neobond? Redmack still there! Kick ass guys!

Sub - Gaming section 2002

A blast from the past, how you doing Sub :D We're good.

In other news the upgrade will happen today 2 April, we had an issue yesterday which left too little time to do it before @Redmak headed out the door :)

Redmak

The upgrade is done (later that planned). Let us know of any problems

• Like 4
Steven P.

In other news 4.1.10 will be available shortly too :s 

LimeMaster

Just do what you did last time and skip a couple of updates.

Steven P.
28 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Just do what you did last time and skip a couple of updates.

Changes in 4.1.10 include:

• Instant notifications are now dismissible.
  • The sidebar has been added back to the Activity Stream pages.
  • You can now sort by most downloaded in Downloads app.
  • The ModeratorCP and AdminCP IP Address Tools now allow you to track the IP addresses used to vote in polls.
  • A new setting has been added to disable the RSS feed for activity streams.
  • A new setting has been added to specify the minimum display name length.
  • Adds a new "can unban" moderator permission separate to the "can edit profiles" permission being used previously.
  • IP addresses now show in reports.
  • There is now a constant-level setting to disable the ACP IP address check in case of being locked out of the ACP.
  • Several improvements to Commerce to make some features clearer: the Shipping Rates configuration pages now indicate to the admin if a potential mistake has been made, the front-end indicates to admins if no support departments have been set up, and the renewal settings wording has been clarified.

And of course countless bugs fixed and performance enhancements. View our full release notes for more details.

Errrr nope.

LimeMaster
1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Errrr nope.

Meh, most of the fixes are control panel related. :p 

Elliot B.
2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Errrr nope.

Decent upgrade, that one (Y)

HawkMan

I'm fine without the sidebar though, I like the full widt, I just want the full capability of the old activity stream back, and proper pagination . 

Draconian Guppy
On 1/4/2016 at 1:01 AM, Steven P. said:

bring_it_on_matrix.gif

I am still moaning at the devs to fix URLs in old posts, I don't have an update for that yet.

lol

I can't  be expected to update my sig to proper working links because of your incompetence!