Yay or nay? Made an app that adds Aero Glass, Start Menu on Windows 10

Thank you! Looks great!

2 hours ago, -Razorfold said:

There are plenty of people who dislike glass, me included. People on Neowin aren't representatives of anything but themselves.

It seems like there are only a few.

• Like 2

There are plenty of people who dislike glass, me included. People on Neowin aren't representatives of anything but themselves.

What's the angle. Did something bother you? Nobody is speaking on behalf of Neowin anyways...

1 hour ago, DeusProto said:

Agreed wholeheartedly. He deliberately maintains super-vague licensing terms, and calls his shareware "donationware" but refuses to state how much you much "donate" to get the unlocked version. And he maintains that not everyone that "donates" will get a license key to unlock the full version. Basically it depends on his mood. So it's a gamble if you "donate" to unlock the full version. I've never seen another author act like that before. I think he gets off on it. 

And he constantly berates his users who post constructive suggestions, insulting them savagely and disrespecting them -- including "donors." 

Now on the other side of the spectrum we have StartisBack. $2.99 with clear licensing terms: Lifetime updates, payment will always get you a key, etc. 

He also refuses to support Insider builds. I think he deliberately makes it so Glass8 breaks on Insider builds. And then he'll brag about how his own private version works great on Insider builds and then say something like "Well since So-and-So made me mad I will not release it now!" Basically, he expects his users to never ask questions or post suggestions, and to only post to kiss up and claim he is the greatest person ever etc etc. 

He also brags about how nobody else is able to implement Aero Glass into Windows 10. How only he has the l33t skills to do so. And of course how all the users are not worthy of his work. 

Yeah, I was planning to donate to him at first but all that crap put me off. I can understand that it would get annoying constantly hearing "OMFG YEW SUX" but from what I can tell most of the feedback got on MSFN was fair.

The dishonest licensing terms are also a big factor in terms of putting me off. I mean it's clearly shareware and should be labelled as such. The sad thing is, if he was honest about his licensing terms he'd probably get more donations.

2 hours ago, suprNOVA said:

Thank you! Looks great!

It seems like there are only a few.

People on Neowin aren't representatives of anything but themselves.

This has been proved several hundred times before with the most famous example being how everyone on this forum thought the iPhone would bankrupt Apple and how it was going to be an utter failure. People on tech sites seem to think they represent all the common folk but in reality they just represent themselves and people like them.

2 minutes ago, -Razorfold said:

This has been proved several hundred times before with the most famous example being how everyone on this forum thought the iPhone would bankrupt Apple and how it was going to be an utter failure. People on tech sites seem to think they represent all the common folk but in reality they just represent themselves and people like them.

Same anywhere you post online.  People are just giving their opinions.  Not saying they they represent the norm.  And there are cases where MS has listen to the people complaining about this or that and made changes.

• Like 3

Microsoft isn't really neglecting desktop users, they're just trying to herd us all into their idiotic Windows Store walled garden. Not so much neglect as outright abuse :)

Anyway good job with the app - despite what MS (and the usual suspects here on Neowin) say, greater user choice is always a good thing. Look forward to it coming out soon.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

truth is, MS is purposely neglecting the desktop user(s) which will bite them.  O posted this somewhere else and is going to happen. If so, Windows could be in deep manure.

Hey gamers! DirectX 11 is coming to Linux thanks to CodeWeavers and Wine

....LOL...no.  Codeweaver made that announcement middle of last year and as of now ... I believe the DirectX 11 Divekick (whatever that game is) and Karma (lol...what) are the only two that work...and they are just proof of concept (specific hardware/drivers...i.e. no AMD)

Anyway...no ... by time (or if) Codeweaver ports DirectX 11 to Mac/Linux ... it will be nothing but a band-aid where maybe your game will work but probably won't (especially new releases). 

The only threat to Windows is from smaller devices (like the iPhones, Androids) ... but they are doing well with their Surface lineup...and non-console gaming will pretty much always (finite) be Windows.

• Like 2

I vote YAY. Definitely looks better than Glass8.

I agree with the others about that guy being all kinds of shady. His handle "BigMuscle" is a joke and shows how he thinks too highly of himself. Says his work is an exact copy of the original glass when it's nowhere close. It won't even work without a specific file that he doesn't even make and he has the nerve to charge for it. So long as you bow down to him like he's the God of Aero Glass and donate 50 buks, you just MIGHT get a key.

I was one of the first to call him out and he went freaking nuts on me and people thought I was being unfair. Clearly I wasn't lol

2 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

truth is, MS is purposely neglecting the desktop user(s) which will bite them.  O posted this somewhere else and is going to happen. If so, Windows could be in deep manure.

Hey gamers! DirectX 11 is coming to Linux thanks to CodeWeavers and Wine

Oh look another THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE LINUX...

You've been able to play windows games on linux for a longgggggg time now. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Order_66 said:

Something "new", you mean the whole flat, dull and ugly look that google and Apple copied and made it look 1000x better than Microsoft?

Dull? Get a better monitor with more accurate colors. :p

5 hours ago, -Razorfold said:

yes. this is obviously the case. nobody is speaking on behalf of neowin. are you just pointing out the obvious? because it just sounds like you've had terrible experiences with this forum.

Oh look another THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE LINUX...

You've been able to play windows games on linux for a longgggggg time now. 

lol.

5 hours ago, -Razorfold said:

and you know what, don't just generalize "people" because now you've just done the same thing Technologists on TECH forums apparently do. 

Hello,

My understanding is that Aero Glass was removed to improve battery runtime on tablets.  Do you have any idea yet if the changes made by your program affect battery runtime significantly?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Let's keep this on topic guys and not turn this into another I hate the start menu threads - some people like it, some people don't, deal with it.

As for the OP - It looks really good, I haven't been on Win 7 for some time now but I can't see an obvious way to tell them apart. Just out of curiosity, how would this compare to some of the more popular start menu app's out there like Start8?

Looks great. I have no problem with thew Windows 10 start menu, but if the glass effect can be enabled on it and title bars I'd give it a shot :)

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if this thread should be moved to the polling station, and a yes or no vote added

if anything it'll give a clear picture of how neowin will vote

then op can just ignore everyone and make the app regardless :p 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if this thread should be moved to the polling station, and a yes or no vote added

if anything it'll give a clear picture of how neowin will vote

then op can just ignore everyone and make the app regardless :p 

It's in the right section already and I'm sure the OP is getting valuable feedback from us. :)