Thoughts on Forum navigation change I want to implement (remove Activity)

Before you all get your panties in a twist :p  I am thinking of moving all the current 'Activity' items to the 'Forum' tab position, so they are always in view.

Guidelines, Staff, Online Users and Subscribe can be moved to the More menu (also on the main news website).

This reduces the number of tabs to 5 and hopefully syncs up the main news navigation too at some point.

I think that having the 'activity' items always in view would be preferable than having it across as a different tab. It also gives us a better means of syncing it with the forum tab on the news site.

I had to mouse hover over Activity to figure out what it did, never used it.

I'm more likely to be going to the guidelines then anything else so if that one could stay in clearer view I'd appreciate it from my side.

• Like 3

I only use News and Forums, so I'm not bothered with the proposed changes. I would say keep the Guidelines somewhere prominent though. That way there are no excuses from members on how "difficult" they are to find, and the result of their behaviour.

You might not like what I'm about to say, but I think you should keep the Activity tab the way it is for the sake of people who automatically move their cursor over to the Activity tab when they want to see the latest posts. Changing it would mean that the user would need to readjust to the layout, which in all honesty seems pointless for such a small change.

Plus, it would make the forum navigation bar look more empty, and I don't think it needs more white space. 

1 minute ago, Danielx64 said:

Honestly when I'm here I only use one link up there, the unread content link. Also there nothing under the more tab or am I missing something?

Honestly, I just use a book mark to bring me to the main page. Lol.

40 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Give_That_Man_A_Cookie_meme.jpg

Do I get one?

My view on the navigation:

• Make Guidelines the last item under Forums (still visible, but not prominent for those who frequent the forums)
  • Move All Activity and Unread Content under Forums, but keep everything else under Activity
  • Remove Search under activity, it is redundant, we have a search bar

3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Nice, a tab for every section would be nice. Like Tab Mix Plus does with firefox. Have a tabbed forum......:)

Well Software was added. Donations as well as less important items are now on the More (click menu dropdown) the idea is to make it less confusing, not cluttered. The break point to mobile/tablet appears to work still even with more items under Forum.

9 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Well Software was added. Donations as well as less important items are now on the More (click menu dropdown) the idea is to make it less confusing, not cluttered. The break point to mobile/tablet appears to work still even with more items under Forum.

I was not serious about a tabbed forum, but one could due that using TMP in a browser with pinned tabs. Fast Page would also work.

On 28/05/2016 at 7:01 AM, BinaryData said:

Dude, you wear panties? What's wrong with you. Men where undies. Sheesh!

no no REAL men wear diddly squat ;) (under yer kilt)